• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

riverside developments

meng_m

im doing a study about riverside developments and my proposed site is comprised of three major areas: a polluted river, a temporary dumsite and a closed manufacturing plant of jeepneys. Though the site seems not feasibile, my analysis showed that it could be redeveloped into a cultural and leisure park. I am interested on new technologies as to how to filter the air and in rehabilitating the river.:? I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

meng_m

Structures with air-filtration

The site of my proposed project is near a garbage recyling plant. In a survey done among the residents of the place, i found out that the foul air coming from the dumpsite is causing health problems among the people. Do you know of any technological innovations for structures that i can use as case studies wherein air filtration was used? Riverside development case studies would also be of great help.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "jeepneys?" I recommend that you check out the Environmental Protection Agency's website if you have not already done so (www.epa.gov). It sounds like the site is what we would call a brownfield - a site that has mild contamination but has redevelopment potential. If that's the case, then you should find all types of case studies on brownfields redevelopment.

This is a pretty good link from the U.S. Deptartment of Housing and Urban Development website: www.hud.gov/bfields/brownqa.cfm

Good Luck!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As far as air filtration, I think the real solution to the problem is with the source of the problem. Still, even the best management practices can't eliminate all odors from an operating landfill.

If you look to a solution within the building, I would think that it would need to be designed to remain sealed - no open windows. It is really more of a question for an architect, though.

meng_m

a 'jeepney' is a vehicle for public mass transport here in our country. It could carry a load of as much as 20 people and it is an open-air, elongated jeep which is pop-baroque in style. Some people refer to it as jitneys.

Anyway, in response to the other message, the 'source' of air pollution near my site is a waste segregation and recycling plant. It is about a kilometer or less away. It is not part of my scope for the study that i am doing. That means i have to concentrate only on the site on which i am rehabilitating and i should target my solutions there. I am limited to giving only recommendations for the areas which would affect my site or that which could be affected by my site. The hard part is that my professor wants me to look for new technologies in construction because she wants me to design my structure open-air and not closed. I have to look for ways in which the foul air is filtered as it flows in my site. The other challenge is that there are several building laws in that area which limit the architectural style to only spanish because it is part of the tourist area of the historical corridor.Here in our country, spanish style means large adobe bricks in the base (first floor) while wood is used in the upper floors.