• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Road design, traffic speed, traffic calming

SGB

Cyburbian
Two related questions for this group:

1) Does anyone have some good online sources for empirical studies on the correlation of paved road width to average traffic speed?

2) Online sources for traffic calming techniques for use on arterial roads w/ multi-use (bicycles, pedestrians, etc) wide (5 feet) paved shoulders? The goal is calming on the vehicular lanes w/out inhibiting non-motorized traffic flow on the multi-use shoulders.

Geography & climate of subject area is:
NW Washington State
Avg. annual snowfall of 11.5".

TIA for any leads.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't know if these are online. The first example has an e-mail address for an online contact.

Narrow Residential Streets, Do They Really Slow Down Speeds? A paper reporting results of a San Francisco survey which showed a correlation of traffic speed to street width. By James A. Daisa and John B. Peers, ITE 6th Annual Meeting Compendium of Technical Papers, 1997. James Daisa can be reached at j.daisa@fehrandpeers.com

The Relationship Between Residential Street Design and Pedestrian Safety. A paper which examines the influence of the streetscape on traffic speeds. By Joni L. Giese, Gary A. Davis and Robert D. Sykes. Presented at the ITE 6th Annual Meeting Compendium of Technical Papers, 1997. I have been unable to determine how to acquire this paper.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Most of my stuff is hardy copy .
[ot]Another Canadianism? ;)

It's not nearly as catchy as clube though....[/ot]

permaplanjuneau

Cyburbian
online resource for everything

Try www.envisionutah.com. Under "Resources," go to the toolbox for quality growth. They've got charts, graphs, photos, and all kinds of "hardy" evidence for street width/accident correlation. Of course, this response is more than a year after-the-fact, but hey, maybe it will help someone else someday...

iamme

Cyburbian
If you're interested in traffic calming, have you considered the road markings or road materials effect?

I know in my area the marking for some freeway ramps has been changed so that the driver is tricked into thinking they are going faster. Thus, drivers slow down (not much) when they encounter these markings.

Also, varying pavement at intersections, mid-block pedestrian access, or on small lanes can be an effective way to calm traffic. Hope this helps.