• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Robot to build house in 2005

ludes98

Cyburbian
Engineer Behrokh Khoshnevis, at the University of Southern California, has been perfecting his "contour crafter" for more than a year. "The goal is to be able to completely construct a one-story, 2000-square foot home on site, in one day and without using human hands," he says.

Now Degussa AG, of Dýsseldorf, Germany, the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of building materials, is to collaborate on the project to help Khoshnevis find the best kind of building material.
The article is here.

I am fascinated and skeptical at the same time about a robot building a home. That sounds like the start of something. I can see in the future how insulation could be squirted in with different nozzles. One day to build a shell for a home is mind boggling. I would like to see some the examples of the architecture that would be possible, as the article says, with this technology.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
One day to build a shell for a home is mind boggling. I would like to see some the examples of the architecture that would be possible, as the article says, with this technology.

Everything has its flaws whether human or machine. I am also skeptical.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
About time

I suppose its all well and good. Most masons and concrete guys I've come in contact with hate their jobs and need inputs of alcohol or drugs to get through their days. The economy will just have to find some other role for them once they are made redundant by robots. The way masonry walls are built hasn't changed much in centuries, and this will make for real advances in design and construction.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Only time will tell

I am also skeptical. The condition of the robot-constructed houses after a few years will determine the effectiveness of this new technology.