• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Rufus from Miami

What have you heard about CUNY Hunter College's Urban Planning Program?

• It's super!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Ok. It's nothing spectacular.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It's garbage.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't heard a peep!

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
:freak

I'm Rufus Porter

Miami FL always

Straight Single Male

25 years old

Just finished a BBA Management

Want to start an Urban Planning Masters at Hunter College NYC in a year

Am a bookkeeper

Was a bartender, teller, valet, census2000 enumerator/supervisor, lawnmower

Brickell area apartment
Bike ride form south beach, grove, overtown, orange bowl, key biscayne
My car is not safe, tho

Jen

Cyburbian
Hello Cokebaby aka Rufus,

Glad ya decided to take a hit on the cyburbia crackpipe, so you are from Miami and actually use a bicycle for transportation? Do you feel like dying soon or what? LOL

ooh! excellent introduce yourself poll! I have a BA from one of the fine SUNY schools, but didn't know that Hunter had a planning program.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jen said:
Glad ya decided to take a hit on the cyburbia crackpipe, so you are from Miami and actually use a bicycle for transportation? Do you feel like dying soon or what? LOL
I'd be more afraid of being a Census 2000 enumerator in Miami. Between riding his bike in Miami and working the census... I think we have a guy here that likes death sports! ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh yeah... and I know nothing about Hunter College (sorry!)... but welcome to the boards. :)

nerudite said:

I'd be more afraid of being a Census 2000 enumerator in Miami. Between riding his bike in Miami and working the census... I think we have a guy here that likes death sports! ;)
What can I say? It's a rush living here. There was a dead guy behind my building last month. I took a photo.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Still have to visit Miami ... haven't been there yet in my short Florida tenure. The closest I got was Wellington, where I got dog #2. ... otherwise known as Guinness, the Psycho Parti Portie.

No dead bodies in Orlando, although I ran over a gopher tortise once. Oops. There's a bunch of pirate radio stations that play hardcore gangsta' rap, but that's about it; Orlando's not really a violent city. I can say that for a semester in college, I lived in Chicago, where I witnessed a real honest-to-goodness gang shootin' at a party I attended. El Rukins versus the Vice Lords. Long story.

I'd love to visit Little Havana, but I assume it takes up about 70% of Dade County. The Cubans I've met in Orlando have all been wonderful.

Don't know a thing about Hunter. I got my BA/Planning from SUNY/Buffalo State College, and the MUP from the fine folks at SUNY/University at Buffalo, though.

Dan said:
Still have to visit Miami ... haven't been there yet in my short Florida tenure. El Rukins versus the Vice Lords. Long story.
I'd love to visit Little Havana, but I assume it takes up about 70% of Dade County. The Cubans I've met in Orlando have all been wonderful.
Dan,

Come visit. Little Havana is relatively small. 70% is a wild guestimate, it's realistically more like 3%. Cubans in Orlando are a different breed. You want authentic Cubano, you need to come south.

FYI: As of April 1, 2000, 57% of Dade County is Hispanic, and of that chunk 50% are Cuban. Little Havana within it's original boundaries is now becoming largely Nicaraguan/Peruvian/Dominican/Honduran/Colombian.

Little Haiti is more nuts than Little Havana, but still worth a look. We've got Little Buenos Aires too, North Beach.

You probably already know about the proposed half-cent sales tax increase that will be voted on later this year to fund new commuter rails and buses. This site has a map of the future transit system. http://www.trafficrelief.com/transit/rapidtransit/rapidtransit.asp

Rufus

BKM

Cyburbian
Hey Rufus: Your Sig Pic rules! Red Meat is one of my favorite cartoon strips!