• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Rugby Sevens (and one for the ladies)

JNL

Cyburbian
I spent the weekend at the New Zealand International Rugby Sevens Tournament. I had the most fantastic fun time. A number of international teams play a modified version of rugby, with only 7 players a side and games 7 minutes each half. However, while the rugby is great, most people go for the crowd entertainment. People go in groups and dress in costume. There were cheerleaders, firefighters, gospel singers, CHIPS guys, Bob the Builder, scouts, KISS, anything and everything! My group went as doctors and nurses.

Oh did I mention there is lots of beer consumed. And we started each day with a champagne brunch. About 40,000 people went.

But the highlight of the final day, after NZ won the final against Fiji, was when the NZ team took their shirts off and performed the haka, right in front of where I was sitting!! Almost too much excitement for me :-D

Attachments

• sevens haka.jpg
    sevens haka.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 194

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If that's the sort of thing you women are interested in, maybe we should start a "Men of Cyburbia" calendar or something. B-)

JNL

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
maybe we should start a "Men of Cyburbia" calendar or something. B-)

Sounds good to me ;)

BTW, I actually prefer that my men are not as toned/big muscles as the rugby guys in the picture. I am realistic :-D

If you want to do a Women of Cyburbia calendar, I have pictures of me in the outfit I wore to the sevens...

on second thoughts, not sharing them!

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I first saw the picture, and thought the rugby team simultaneously took off their shirts, as if to prepare for a fight. They certainly look that way, witht he pose they're in.

That's the idea of the haka, to look intimidating to your opponents. Try and scare them before taking them on. But I'm sure you know that Dan. In this case though, they reinterpreted it as a celebration haka!

What on earth? Is there anything to it apart from dancing badgers, snakes and mushrooms??

Rem

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Eye candy is so yummy!!
While I can't speak for the other MOC Trail Nazi, I suggest any calendar featuring me would not be categorised as eye candy but rather eye pudding, or hamburger, or eye potatoe, or ......... you get the drift.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Sounds good to me ;)

BTW, I actually prefer that my men are not as toned/big muscles as the rugby guys in the picture. I am realistic :-D

Well that puts me out of the running... thanks alot. :-(

JNL said:
If you want to do a Women of Cyburbia calendar, I have pictures of me in the outfit I wore to the sevens...

I will do a calender if you do.... ;-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hey, wasn't there a school district in Washington State that is selling a calendar of the School Board in the buff as a fund raiser. I'd pose for a Cyburbia calendar. Hell, I'll do some snow angles in my shorts of course.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:

Where do I get one of these calenders 8-! ? Do I have to go to New Zealand to get one?;)

Maybe someday, someday maybe....I'll have enough money to travel to Australia and
New Zealand.

JNL

Cyburbian
This is some of us outside the stadium with a friendly policeman. Picture quality not good because it was taken with a PXT-capable cell phone. I am second from right.

JNL

Cyburbian
Eek! There were quite a few photos taken and shared amongst the group... and I just heard they are doing the rounds on the internet! 8-!

Yeah, why are you belly-aching about The Local Yokel who is divorced and has a girlfriend when there are intelligent, elligible, unattached men on Cyburbia who would consider marrying a "Russian Mail Order Bride" and who think you are Hot, Hot, Hot or who would consider a vacation in New Zealand if they weren't in the midst of moving to their new job? Has Mr. Local Yokel suggested he would consider traveling to the other side of the planet to spend a week in your company with no commitment whatsoever from you for anything at all except maybe "dinner"? I've seen pics of Donk. He is young, slim, athletic and if you taught him how to dress ;) all your girlfriends would be green with envy. (Remember: if he dresses too snazzy, he may be gay. So don't ever overlook some guy who isn't GQ. He may just be color blind or something.)

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Are you wearing a nurses uniform there?

Yup, we all are but you can't see the red crosses in the photo. We all have our hair in plaits too, latex gloves sticking out of pockets, and I'm wearing a stethoscope ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Yup, we all are but you can't see the red crosses in the photo. We all have our hair in plaits too, latex gloves sticking out of pockets, and I'm wearing a stethoscope ;)

No problem with the pic, I can see you clearly from the the Rugby pic you posted a while back;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
No problem with the pic, I can see you clearly from the the Rugby pic you posted a while back;)

With the Welsh team? That pic isn't up any more. Here's a pic so you can actually see what I look like under my sunglasses. This was for another dress-up party.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:
With the Welsh team? That pic isn't up any more. Here's a pic so you can actually see what I look like under my sunglasses.

And you know I complimented you on the picture then.....

New Zealand huh, I've been thinking of going down there more because of you now :-$

I've always wanted to see Wellington, can I crash at your place, or at reasonable hotel nearby (I need tourist info as well as guidance)?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hey Rumpy, come down here and help me build a cuban style boat to cross the "pond", afterall she's just across of me... :p

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Hey Rumpy, come down here and help me build a cuban style boat to cross the "pond", afterall she's just across of me... :p

Thanks to you SkeL, my spaghettiOs are on the floor :-D. I'm already planning my super cruiser boat to take me to the open seas, and beyond to a place I can't get into at the moment.....But already have in past threads...

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy, SkeL, donk, and anyone else who wants to visit my wonderful city, you're all welcome to visit... and love to see you turn up in a cuban style boat! :-D

Rumpy there are lots of good backpackers in Wellington and a really cool new one (link)

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
This is some of us outside the stadium with a friendly policeman. Picture quality not good because it was taken with a PXT-capable cell phone. I am second from right.

Must not make crass comment.....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL It is a shame that you don't live in the the Mid West... or the US for that matter. But then again the way my women problems are going... *see other post*

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
michaelskis said:
JNL It is a shame that you don't live in the the Mid West... or the US for that matter.

JNL's a sweetie. I wonder if I can cash in on some alleged family heritage and get a free trip to that part of the world ...

JNL

Cyburbian
We could have a race... and make a reality TV show out of it: Make your own craft and race to New Zealand! :-D Hurry guys, I think SkeL's got a head start on his cuban style craft. And Rumpy is planning his super cruiser. But Rem is closer...

First one here gets to take me out to dinner :) and everyone who makes it gets a tour around New Zealand. Watch out for sharks near Australia.

JNL

Cyburbian
Mustn't forget the Women of Cyburbia... if you get here first, I'll hook you up on a date with an All Black rugby player ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Rumpy there are lots of good backpackers in Wellington and a really cool new one (link)

Whoa, 20 bucks for a 1 night stay, can you loan me a cardboard box;) Cool link, if my boat can make it there, I think I'll crash there. Bar in a hostel? Now there was a great mind at work!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Whoa, 20 bucks for a 1 night stay, can you loan me a cardboard box;)

And NZ$20 is only 13.9766 USD!!

Um, what do you want the box for?

JNL said:
Mustn't forget the Women of Cyburbia... if you get here first, I'll hook you up on a date with an All Black rugby player ;)
[more silliness]Yes, don't forget us gals. If you marry one of these loozerz...er, fine young men, it would be appropriate to invite me to be the "maid of honor" for hooking you up and saving you from The Local Yokel. I will also take you up on the date with a rugby player, as I have always preferred athletic men (if they have a Brane to go with it), assuming I am not already re-married by the time you Set The Date. ;)[/more silliness]

JNL

Cyburbian
Shall I make reservations? ;)

About one block from Te Papa actually takes in at least 5 Indian restaurants so you'll need to let me know which one :)

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Shall I make reservations? ;)

About one block from Te Papa actually takes in at least 5 Indian restaurants so you'll need to let me know which one :)
No reservations until some of the jobs i told you about are put to bed.

The one I am thinking about is due south (I think), it has a proper brick tandoor and newspaper clippings of articles saying how good it is in the window. There is one of those Asian Noodle restaurants with lino floors and kitchen style tables for diners a couple of doors away.

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I wonder if I can cash in on some alleged family heritage and get a free trip to that part of the world ...

Did I ever mention that I live on Tasman Street??

JNL said:
Did I ever mention that I live on Tasman Street??

[pure BS]Oh, well, then it is clearly destiny and Dan should put up a new fund-raising notice and all of Cyburbia can contribute to the 'plane tickets to the girl of my dreams' Fund.[/pure BS]