• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Rugby World Cup

JNL

Cyburbian
...and JNL meets Welsh rugby players

Wales gave NZ a scare on Sunday as we struggled to beat them 53-37. I missed most of the game due to post-triathlon partying in Noosa, but boy was the finish exciting! It was weird watching it in an Aussie pub - everyone was cheering for Wales so I sort of kept quiet :)

On Tuesday I visited the Gold Coast and bumped into the Welsh team in Surfers Paradise which was pretty cool! Got a photo with some of them - I believe they are Brent Cockbain, Garan Evans, Mark Jones, but I'm not sure who the one is with the sunglasses on his head. Can you help Rem?

801wales.JPG

I had the best time in Aussie! Would highly recommend the Sunshine and Gold Coasts for a holiday.

Rem

Cyburbian
Pleased you had a good time.

I think the Welsh player may be Duncan Jones - a prop, but he had curly hair in the pool games. The Welsh Squad is here if you want to check them out.

Fancy meeting Brent Cockbain - how is his Welsh accent coming along? (For non-Rugby Cyburbanites, Brent is an Australian who married a Welshwoman. His brother Matt plays for the Wallabies). We could use another line-out jumper like Brent too.

Don't take the cheering for Wales to heart, everyone has a soft spot for them because they used to be such a force and are now duds, so seeing the underdog go well probably got a few people excited. Mind you there are always T-Shirts for sale at NZ aiports that say "I support the All Blacks and whoever is playing Australia" - maybe some payback. It was a good game to watch though. I think they would have won anyway but the All Blacks' cause was aided by two tries from forward passes.

JNL

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
What is this "sport" you refer to as "rugby"? It seems to occur the southern hemisphere. ;)

Voila.. a beginner's guide to rugby.

These are the countries fielding Rugby World Cup Teams:

Argentina
Australia
Canada
England
Fiji
France
Georgia
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Namibia
New Zealand
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

And these are the ones still in the tournament:
New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Scotland, France, Ireland, England and Wales.

Quarter finals this weekend!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I have always understod rugby. It's that damn cricket I have yet to figure out. Cher could die and the plastic in her would deteriorate before some of those matches are over.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
There are four ways of scoring points

1 Try worth 5 points
2 Conversion worth 2 points
3 Penalty worth 3 points
4 Drop goal worth 3 points
5 Penalty Try worth 5 points

This is a weird game...you're awarded points for just trying. And you get points for a penalty. I wish I'd get paid just for trying and being penalized.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I think the Welsh player may be Duncan Jones - a prop, but he had curly hair in the pool games. ]

Yep that's him, looks very different after his haircut!

there are always T-Shirts for sale at NZ aiports that say "I support the All Blacks and whoever is playing Australia" -

Gotta get me one of them t-shirts.. ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:

This is a weird game...you're awarded points for just trying. And you get points for a penalty. I wish I'd get paid just for trying and being penalized.

LOL - I'm going to have to save that quote for future use!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hey JNL, is that you in the picture, cause if it is, your pretty cute:)

Oops shouldn't have said that, I'm being watched!!!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Sorry, I am a little of topic today on these forums.

Just today? ;)

How does my response to your earlier comment show anything about my star sign? Did you look up my birthdate or something?

Me confused...

Back on-topic: can't wait for the ABs vs South Africa game this Saturday!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Just today? ;)

How does my response to your earlier comment show anything about my star sign? Did you look up my birthdate or something?

Me confused...

Back on-topic: can't wait for the ABs vs South Africa game this Saturday!

Who me I'm never confused? Yeah I looked it up cause its just a... well hobbie. I'm aquarius if that helps. Back on topic, go Bills, beat the Cowboys. I think I'll go now before I get myself in more trouble. Rock on.

Rem

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I have always understod rugby. It's that damn cricket I have yet to figure out. Cher could die and the plastic in her would deteriorate before some of those matches are over.
Cricket is much more interesting than Cher though. Cricket is Australia's national sport. A giant wombat scat will smite thee if you criticise cricket. Lucky I joined up on Cyburbia after the Cricket World Cup earlier this year - there would have been a Cicket World Cup thread. Australia won the Cricket World Cup by the way.

Seeing though someone else brought it up - Australia beat NZ in a one day game this week. Sorry JNL, I wasn't going to mention it but as you see Slave TTG needed edification.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Australia beat NZ in a one day game this week. Sorry JNL, I wasn't going to mention it but as you see Slave TTG needed edification.

Doesn't worry me, I don't enjoy cricket at all. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Oops I hope you will still speak to me Rem, after I decried your religion...

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Oops I hope you will still speak to me Rem, after I decried your religion...
If you are going outside this afternoon, take an umbrella - one that can stand up to wombat poo.

BTW - where are the Noosa pics.

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
BTW - where are the Noosa pics.

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to take many, I only have a couple from around the triathlon, none that do justice to how beautiful the area is. I was either hungover, swimming, creating another hangover, chatting up Welsh rugby players (see, its still on-topic! ;) ), travelling, or eating - not much time left for photos!

I do have a couple of Noosa beach from last year - could scrape together something with the few I've got.

Rem

Cyburbian
Cyburbia RWC Death Match #2

The semi-finals are here.

As predicted by most, the teams to make it through to the semi-finals, in their match ups (my tips in bold) are:

Australia vs. New Zealand
England vs. France

JNL's mighty New Zealand All Blacks take on the stumbling Australian Wallabies tomorrow night. Will the Wallabies go the way of the Canadians in Cyburbia Death Match #1 and fall to the All Blacks? Will those cheese eating surrender monkeys (sorry cheese eating surrender monkeys) Les Bleus succumb to the Rose of England?

These and other questions will be answered next Monday when JNL or I provide advice on the success or failure of our teams. Good luck to the others and go the Wallabies.

P.S. The quarter final results - in case you've been hanging on every moment of the tournament and feel ripped off that I've been too busy this week to post this information were:
New Zealand 29 d. South Africa 9
Australia 33 d. Scotland 16
France 43 d. Ireland 21
England 28 d. Wales 17

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Didn't I predict that JNL's All Blacks would win against S. Africa? Better check the 8-ball to see who will win this time.

JNL

Cyburbian
NZ loses semi-final to Australia?!?!

We lost! :-c

Don't want to talk about it right now, still in shock

Beaten by Australia!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
sheesh.. When I heard the news I inmediatly thought that NZ would be on a national mourning for like a week.

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
sheesh.. When I heard the news I inmediatly thought that NZ would be on a national mourning for like a week.

Yup. They're even talking about economic impacts, resulting from a state of depression this week. One of the Sunday papers ran a half-page headline that read "THE END OF THE WORLD".

You could have heard a pin drop in the pub where I watched the game, during the last 15 mins. Stunned disbelief.

Rem

Cyburbian
Commiserations JNL. I still find it difficult to believe NZ won't be in the final. I won't be showing my face in NZ for a little while - don't think Aussies will be too welcome. Skel's right about the mourning - but the bloodletting among the coaches and the players when they get home next week is when it will get really ugly. Wouldn't want to be the All Blacks coach John Mitchell - bet the media will be merciless.

For Cyburbia Rugby fans the full semi-final results are:

Australia 22 d. New Zealand 10
England 24 d. France 7

Yes I was 0 from 2 in my semi-final predictions.

Two games left - the 3rd and 4th playoff this Thursday between New Zealand and France and the final on Saturday between Australia and England.

My useless predictions:

New Zealand over France by 20 points
England over Australia by 12 points.

I will be going to the 3rd and 4th play off so maybe I can post some pics next week.

It's still go the Wallabies and given the absence of English correspondents on Cyburbia, I expect your full support.

Jen

Cyburbian
Hey ya'll down there! Thanks for keeping us 'mericans in the know re: RWC

My condolences JNL

Go Wallies!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Are you still with us Rem?

Rem - are you okay?

RWC Final - England 20, Australia 17.

There's always next time, right?

donk

Cyburbian
Re: Are you still with us Rem?

OT

Tranplanner said:
Rem - are you okay?

RWC Final - England 20, Australia 17.

There's always next time, right?

Spoken like a leafs fan. ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
I've heard from Rem recently, I think he's really busy at the moment.

Did anyone see the final?? They couldn't have asked for a more exciting finish - it was tied 14-14 at full time and had to go into extra time - another 20 minutes. England scored another 3 points, then Australia responded and leveled the score again at 17-17. English super boot Jonny Wilkinson sealed things in the 100th (=final) minute with a drop goal to take England to a 20-17 victory.

The general feeling I've heard from a few Aussies is that they were proud of how well their team played in the final, so not too disappointed.

A friend from Brisbane said "Ah well... there's always the cricket!"

Rem

Cyburbian
Boo hoo - RWC Wash Up

Sorry guys - I'm not sulking, just really busy (as JNL said) at the moment.

The last two games of RWC 2003 were held last Thursday and Saturday with the following results:

3/4 Play off - New Zealand defeated France 40 - 13
Final - England defeated Australia 20 - 17 (OT)

I have some pics of the 3/4 playoff, which I attended, in the members gallery. Here are a couple:

All Blacks warming up, coach John Mitchell looking on.
1524031120_Rugby2-med.jpg

France attacking All Black's line, 1st half
1524031120_Rugby3-med.JPG

While it was disappointing for Australia to lose a close final, they performed above all expectations and there can be no doubt they played as well as they could have. England have been the best team in international rugby for the last two years and deserve their win. New Zealand proved again in the 3/4 play off they were the team to keep the trophy from England, but fortune did not favour their exciting brand of Rugby. I think if Tana Umaga had not been injured early in the tournament things would have been different.

RWC 2007 will be played in France. Australia and New Zealand have relatively young teams, Wales have been a revelation in 2003 and while England will lose 75% of their squad by 2007 (to retirements), they will still have Johnny Wilkinson at his peak and the infrastructure to produce quality teams. Bring it on.

Australia recovers from World Cup defeat

The loss of the World Cup to the poms certainly hasn't affected the Australian public in the way that the All Blacks loss to the Wallabies affected the New Zealanders. As an Aussie I've learnt to take the bad with the good, because occaisonally we do lose. I don't see the WC loss as a major blow to Australian pride or the game of rugby, particularly because of the way the game was played and won. Having said that, it would've been nice to win the WC again!

Some of our biggest sporting disasters are:

1988 America's Cup;
1996 Cricket World Cup loss to Sri Lanka; and
1997 Soccer World Cup qualifyier loss to Iran.