• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RUGGED Aussies again

Rem

Cyburbian
It's A Small World After All

This incident took place on one of our (City of Lake Macquarie) beaches, Caves Beach. The guy who released the shark was one of our staff Life Guards - I spoke to him today to let him know he handled the media really well (he was on local TV news last night). He told me its all a bit of a joke, they've had so much media interest - BBC London for example. He said it could have been a groper five times the size and they guy lost his leg and no one would be interested. Mention shark and everyone is interested.

There is a good picture of the actual shark still attached to the guy's leg in today's Newcastle Herald but I can't find the pic. on their website. It probably doesn't really count as rugged because the shark is only about two feet long and the newspaper report describes the wounds thus:

"Mr Tresoglavic was treated with antibiotics at Belmont Hospital for a golf ball-size bite made up of about 80 tiny puncture wounds."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I would have loved to be one of the EMT first to see him
I can imagine what could have been said -

" I'll treat you but first let me get a picture of this, This is one for for the books."

Tom R

Cyburbian
shark

Another reason not to skinny dip.
The scarest thing I've seen in the water was a regular snapping turtle that probably wouldn't have fit into a bushel basket. I can't imagine what an alligator snapper is like. Muskies and northern pike are also impressive.

JNL

Cyburbian
Almost famous

Wow Rem, you're like almost nearly famous, by association! :) Aren't you gonna tell us how that shark was nothing compared to one you wrestled with and killed with your bare hands?

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Wow Rem, you're like almost nearly famous, by association! :) Aren't you gonna tell us how that shark was nothing compared to one you wrestled with and killed with your bare hands?
I think you've mistaken that slab for a shark.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
Another reason not to skinny dip.
The scarest thing I've seen in the water was a regular snapping turtle that probably wouldn't have fit into a bushel basket. I can't imagine what an alligator snapper is like. Muskies and northern pike are also impressive.
Snappers....I've seen many as a youngin' swiming in the canal and wading the creeks. Mean beasts they are, glad I never had the honor of meeting one at the end of my hand. Old-timers liked to make soup out of them.