• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

RUGGED! Chick windsurfs across Pacific Ocean...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, I know chicks aren't supposed to be RUGGED! (especially not a French chick), but I think she deserves the moniker. You go girl!

Edit:
Hmmmm... she doesn't look as RUGGED! as she sounds. She kind of looks like the wimpier cousin of Bill Gates. Oh well!

Rem

Cyburbian
Sounds sus to me - three months on a windsurfer in the open ocean. Even though the board was over 7 metres long (25' 6") you use a lot of water in 3 months.

Jen

Cyburbian
WOW! Didn't know that could be done? SHe must've lucked out with good weather. How did she navigate while holding on to her sail? How did she eat? Amazing!!! I read Kon Tiki this summer -wild trip on a raft.

I have a friend who jetskied (a stand up) across Lake Michigan years ago. SHe and a friend, got to cChicago after leaving Grand Haven or Holland and had dinner. Turned around and tried to come back the same day. Got about half way back and needed a lift. Still the courage and stamina required makes Annie forever rugged in my book.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jen said:

I have a friend who jetskied (a stand up) across Lake Michigan years ago.
What's the length of that route? I have a friend that used to participate in the Long Beach to Catalina jet ski race... 26 miles. He used to love it, but was totally wiped by the end of the day.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Nerudite - I just looked closely at your avatar....nice lungs, babe. ;)

Jen

Cyburbian
It's about 90miles to cross Lake Michigan at those two points.

I am also reminded of that gal who was attempting to kayak across the Atlantic IIRC, to think of being all alone in the middle of a vast endless ocean scares me more than anything on earth just about! But what a rush!!!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jen said:
It's about 90miles to cross Lake Michigan at those two points.
Wow... 90 miles! That's a set of sore arms (and knees!)... props to your buddies!