• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Run, Forrest, Run....

Yes, I'll be running the "It's a Wonderful Run" in Seneca Falls in mid-December. The Jan and Feb ones will be difficult, unless I fly to AZ or CA - which would be fine if I could afford it.
Yesterday was the It's a Wonderful Rn in Seneca Falls. Hubby ran it with me and beat me by about a minute!! This is the first 5k where he continuously ran the entire race. I'm so proud of him. He and my sister are teaming up for the relay version of the 1/2 marathon in NOLA so this was a good start for him.

Tomorrow my official training begins for my half marathon. I'm nervous but excited. :)

Tomorrow my official training begins for my half marathon. I'm nervous but excited. :)
Yay! I did a 16 mile training run this weekend...and I'm still a bit sore, but it feels good to accomplish such a long training run. I've been trying out a variety of different on the run training foods...let me know if you try any of them (power gels, clif blocs, etc). I'm looking to compare notes.

The Dallas White Rock Marathon is this Sunday. The forecast is rain with the high temp in the low 40's. I lost my enthusiasm for running marathons a number of years ago after running this race in the rain and a 37 degree temp. Hypothermia and marathons are not a good combination.
Hubby ran the half again this year - it's 5 years in a row, I believe. It's the first year I wasn't at the finish line. I had a real bad cold, and hanging around in the rain and really cold temps wasn't going to happen. Even after the post-race activities and drive home, his shoes, sock, and gloves were still wet. And very cold. His hat was a goner.

There's a r-n-r half marathon coming up. If you all can make it, the Dallas one is a blast!

I think there are 7 or more Running Cyburbians. Might I suggest entering a Cyburbia team for this event in 2013? The Seneca 7 - one day, 7 team members, 77.7 miles.

Some friends and I signed up for this year's race. :)

There are plenty of wineries around for a post-race laefest!

Hink

OH....IO
I think there are 7 or more Running Cyburbians. Might I suggest entering a Cyburbia team for this event in 2013? The Seneca 7 - one day, 7 team members, 77.7 miles.

Some friends and I signed up for this year's race. :)

There are plenty of wineries around for a post-race laefest!
I would love to do that... if only I lived in NY. I have done the Great Lakes Relay (http://www.greatlakesrelay.com/) numerous times with guys I ran with in college. These types of events are always lots of fun.

Anyone else have trouble running outside as opposed to on a treadmill? Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside). The pain was excrutiating, and stretching, muscle relaxers, etc. weren't working so I took a break from running entirely. I started back up again a month or so ago on the treadmill and haven't had a problem.

(And when I say I "run" it's definately nothing long distance at this point, I would have to put in effort to complete a 5K. But I'm very happy with that considering a year ago I couldn't run a mile.)

I want to do the tri-training again this year, but very scared it's going to be again be an issue and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I would love to do that... if only I lived in NY. I have done the Great Lakes Relay (http://www.greatlakesrelay.com/) numerous times with guys I ran with in college. These types of events are always lots of fun.
Lucky for you there are hotels in NY! Come for the weekend? Plunk the wife and kids at a hotel/inn by the lake and let them splash around while you run around the lake.

SW MI Planner, I have the opposite problem, I can't run for long distances on the treadmill. I think that is because at this point I'm still working on establishing my pace. Where do you run outside, on the road, grass, a track? Maybe the terrain is giving you issues.

Hink

OH....IO
Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside).
Just say it... your butt hurt ;) Good article on Running Times a couple years ago about that... http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4220&PageNum=&CategoryID=

Personally, I have found that stretching really helps. Also counter training the muscle groups (working the hamstrings and quads) to better balance out your legs helps. I have heard about surgery, but most people can "fix" it with consistent stretching.

wahday

Cyburbian
Anyone else have trouble running outside as opposed to on a treadmill? Started running inside on treadmill a year ago and didn't have any problems, but ran into huge issues with my periformis muscle when I did the tri-training last year (which was outside). The pain was excrutiating, and stretching, muscle relaxers, etc. weren't working so I took a break from running entirely. I started back up again a month or so ago on the treadmill and haven't had a problem.
A little over a year ago I started running differently – more of the barefoot style, though still wearing shoes. And not those crazy toe-shoes. Its been really great as far as minimizing injuries and improving my running in general. But it is a very mentally active way of running, probably because it requires undoing a lot of things I learned about how I “should” be running over the years. Anyway, its made me much more aware of how I run in different terrains, different distances, speeds, etc.

So, I am wondering if the way you run on a treadmill is different enough from outside and that is what is creating the problem. In one scenario, the earth is moving under you and you work to keep pace with it. Outside, you have to propel yourself and I imagine this engages some different muscle groups – especially the butt muscles that provide that extra propulsion at the end of a stride – the kick when you lift you leg up before bringing it forward. So, it could be that you strained some muscles when you went outside to run because you were working a muscle group not usually engaged on the treadmill. It would be worth comparing both running styles just to see if you can feel the strain in one scenario and not the other. Nothing too exhasting - just do each for 5 minutes or so and think about the muscles you are using and how they feel. But careful not to reinjure! This will help tell you what muscle groups are being strained. You definitely just need to let strains heal with rest, so if that is the case, don't overdo it or you will just keep injuring it.

Otherwise, I find stretching to be so very important. Not as a cure to a pulled muscle, but as prevention. I stretch usually before AND after a run, ride or swim. My body is much happier as a result and it really does help prevent injuries (and general soreness). You don’t want to overdo it, of course, even a light stretch, if you hit the right muscles, will help a lot. I found some nice videos online (not sure where – maybe Active.com?) that gave me some great running and biking related stretches. It was immensely helpful and the videos are very clear.

For runners, the butt muscles and lower back tend to get very big and tight. Making sure these muscles are well stretched will help prevent problems elsewhere. If you are too tight there, not only can those areas start to cause pains, but other areas as well as the body tries to compensate.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! Yah, it literally is a pain in the ass ;) It really sucks When I was running outside it was on a paved linear trail. I read online that the even the slight grade of a roadway or trail can cause problems. And Wahday brings up a great point that I'm probably running differently, have to propel myself along as opposed to having it done for me. I feel like I am all healed up now, so come spring I will stretch good before going out and test both ways out to see if I can figure out a difference in the two.

I did a big 20 mile run yesterday in preparation for my marathon in, 33 days, gulp, what have I gotten myself into.

I'm not going to pretend it wasn't tough...I'm still a bit sore from the pounding on my ankles today, but my muscles feel fine. After mile 17 or so its a matter keeping yourself going with fuel, water and not stopping. I ran around where I live, I am lucky to live near the rich area of town and there is an extensive greenway, sidewalk and trail network that is well maintained, so that is where I ran. Highlight of my run yesterday (besides Ice, Ice Baby and Motown Philly coming up on my pandora station) was a lady who let me do tricks with her dog as I was running by. Go dandy!

wahday

Cyburbian
I did a big 20 mile run yesterday in preparation for my marathon in, 33 days, gulp, what have I gotten myself into.
Hey, if you did that, I don't think you will have any trouble at the race. I've never done anything that big, but I did do a mini-tri two years ago. I was amazed at the degree to which, on race day, the excitement and comraderie carries you through. You'll do great, I predict. Rock on!

natski

Cyburbian
I will be signing up for the Warrior Dash here in Sydney in Feb. I havent run since March- so i better start soon!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
For the want of 2 good knees I would consider it but was a ski bum who never went to a doctor for over 6 yrs.

WSU_MUP's post on RTDNTOTO made me think about running shoes. What brand/style do you wear? For year's I've been wearing Asics 1000 or 2000 series. I've always loved them except for my last two pairs. They take forever to break in and then they are good for about 1 month before I feel as if I need a new pair.

I've never even seen this thread. I don't know how I missed it.

For those dying to know, here's the post Dandy was referring to:
I've decided my running shoes stink so bad that maybe I should look into purchasing a new pair before I fly to Florida in a few weeks. I really don't want to put those stinky things in with the rest of my luggage.

The last 2 pair of shoes I've had have been New Balance. Both were a very minimalist and lightweight shoe. I think the model is 790, but the one that currently comes up for that doesn't look the same as what I am used to. The ones I have look closer to the 110 trail shoes. These shoes have been great for me and I've gotten about 1,500 miles out of my current pair. My only problem with them is that since I've moved a few years ago and now run much more on pavement than trails or dirt roads, the tread has worn down quicker than I like.

I think I'm going to stop at one of the local running stores either this evening after work or tomorrow and get professionally fitted since it's been a very looooooong time since I've done that. I've never really been a fan of Nike's but I've been wanting to try out the Nike Free for quite some time. I also like what I've heard about the NB Minimus, even though they are so new.

In the past, I've tried Asics, Brooks, and Sauconey and have had varying degrees of satisfaction with each - nothing that would make me really want to go back to any of them.

wahday

Cyburbian
WSU_MUP's post on RTDNTOTO made me think about running shoes. What brand/style do you wear? For year's I've been wearing Asics 1000 or 2000 series. I've always loved them except for my last two pairs. They take forever to break in and then they are good for about 1 month before I feel as if I need a new pair.
I run in Asics as well, though recently someone gave me a brand new pair of Saucony's that are super light. I wear those for shorter runs. They don't have as much support (lateral - its really easy to twist the shoe and sole) so I don't like them as much for longer runs. And they don't fit my foot as well. For longer runs I wear the Asics. Don't recall what model, but they have a much stiffer sole which I prefer, especially on trails (though I don't run off pavement all that often). A long run for me is 6 miles, a short one is 3.

I have been considering a pair of Nike Frees since I changed my running style, but if people keep giving me free shoes, that probably won't happen too soon. I do find also that running "barefoot" style wears out my shoes less so they last a lot longer.

Lately I have been mountain biking a lot more and swimming. Its partly the season as I don't mind biking in the cold when on trails - I stay plent warm and don't get the continuous blast of cold as on a road bike - and there are very few people out, so its great. I mainly ride in the forested area along the Rio Grande. Its pretty much flat, but some great, squirrelly trails that are a real workout. A good ride is about 4 hours.

Considering a triathlon in March, but we'll see if the date works first. I've only done that once (and it was the same race I am considering) and its a "sprint," so the shortest distances on each leg. But it was fun to train for.

Hink

OH....IO
I do longer runs in Brooks and most normal runs in Asics. I have found the Brooks provide a much better base and stability for longer runs.

I go through 4 pairs of shoes at least a year. Last year I ran over 1500 miles. 8-! I am hoping to break 500 this year....lol damn kids.