• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Run, Forrest, Run....

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
One of my goals at the start of this year was to run 1,000 miles. I achieved that with yesterday morning's 9.5 mile run. But there's no rest for the weary... I will keep running between 40 and 60 miles a week at least through October as I continue training for the Marine Corps Marathon and would like to keep running about 30+ miles a week after that through the winter.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
One of my goals at the start of this year was to run 1,000 miles. I achieved that with yesterday morning's 9.5 mile run. But there's no rest for the weary... I will keep running between 40 and 60 miles a week at least through October as I continue training for the Marine Corps Marathon and would like to keep running about 30+ miles a week after that through the winter.

Congrats!! Goals are the best way to keep going! I am jealous of your work ethic...

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Damn, great job! I have a 5K tonight that I don't want to do, and your post helped me realize I need to suck it up.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I ran the Crim 10 Miler in Flint, MI over the weekend. I had always heard that the Crim was a really well organized run and that there are a lot of spectators along the route but I was blown away. The streets were lined from start to finish. The run attracts 10,000+ participants and some internationally elite runners. For a city with more than their fair share of problems, Flint knows how to put on a race and it seems like the locals really support it.

I finished in 1:14:18 which was 6 minutes faster than my previously timed 10 mile event back in June. The training pays off!

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I ran the Crim 10 Miler in Flint, MI over the weekend. I had always heard that the Crim was a really well organized run and that there are a lot of spectators along the route but I was blown away. The streets were lined from start to finish. The run attracts 10,000+ participants and some internationally elite runners. For a city with more than their fair share of problems, Flint knows how to put on a race and it seems like the locals really support it.

I finished in 1:14:18 which was 6 minutes faster than my previously timed 10 mile event back in June. The training pays off!
I love races like that. There is a 15K in my hometown that is like that and it is always a joy to run. I did a nice six mile trail run on Sunday at a new to me park, I really enjoyed it! I saw a deer and ran around a large lake with lots of footbridges and overlooks. I'll be back there once the leaves start changing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I ran a very strong (for me anyway) 20 miler this past weekend at about an 8 minute 12 second pace and feel that I could have pretty easily shaved another 15 seconds off of that if I had been pushing myself a bit. I have another 20 miler planned for a couple weeks from now and think I will run the same route again and see what I can do. I was out for the run at about 6:00 a.m. at a city about 15 miles north of my house where a bunch of separate trails come together. There must have been about 300 people out there running even that early in the morning, including many running groups of all different skill levels. It was pretty cool to see that many folks out.

This coming weekend I will be running in a large half marathon that my employer organized a few years ago. I'm hoping to get under 1:40 and set a new PR. Thankfully there is a pace group running 1:40 that I can participate with, otherwise I am horrible at pacing myself. I'm going to run with them for the first 10 miles and then attempt to run the final 3.1 as a 5k.

I've got 33 days left to train for the Marine Corps Marathon and I'm feeling great about it.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I ran a very strong (for me anyway) 20 miler this past weekend at about an 8 minute 12 second pace and feel that I could have pretty easily shaved another 15 seconds off of that if I had been pushing myself a bit. I have another 20 miler planned for a couple weeks from now and think I will run the same route again and see what I can do.

This coming weekend I will be running in a large half marathon that my employer organized a few years ago. I'm hoping to get under 1:40 and set a new PR. Thankfully there is a pace group running 1:40 that I can participate with, otherwise I am horrible at pacing myself. I'm going to run with them for the first 10 miles and then attempt to run the final 3.1 as a 5k.

I've got 33 days left to train for the Marine Corps Marathon and I'm feeling great about it.
Congrats! I am not sure why marathon training programs only have you run 20 milers as the top end, but I would suggest that you run a 20 miler in the morning, and then a 3.1 miler in the afternoon on one of your long training days. The 3.1 miler doesn't need to be fast, but it will allow your body to get the "full effect" of the lactic build up. Personally, I like the over train philosophy (i.e. run 28 miles prior) so your body can remember what it is like to be at mile 21, 22, etc. but for many that isn't possible.

Good luck, I am sure you are going to rock it!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Congrats! I am not sure why marathon training programs only have you run 20 milers as the top end, but I would suggest that you run a 20 miler in the morning, and then a 3.1 miler in the afternoon on one of your long training days. The 3.1 miler doesn't need to be fast, but it will allow your body to get the "full effect" of the lactic build up. Personally, I like the over train philosophy (i.e. run 28 miles prior) so your body can remember what it is like to be at mile 21, 22, etc. but for many that isn't possible.

Good luck, I am sure you are going to rock it!
I agree. I would have logged more miles in on Saturday but I had to get home for other activities. After I began following a training plan back earlier in the year I began to adjust it and tweak it almost immediately. I've done a few other scheduled 20-milers and most of them were stretched out to 22 or 24 miles. I also did a "practice" marathon, a few extra 18 milers, and each of my long runs was immediately preceded by a 5 to 10 mile run the day before. I even managed to work some interval training into this past weekend's long run as well as some hill work. I do like the idea of running a 5k later on the same day though and may try that with my next long run.

I've decided that the main advantage of a training plan for me is that it motivates me to just get out there on days that I'm not feeling it or would otherwise just be lazy.

btrage

Cyburbian
My wife completed her first Half Marathon last Sunday. She ran with her sister, who has done a few before. My wife's only goal was to not walk at all. She met her goal and finished in 2:21. I was very proud of her.

My daughters and I had signs that we were holding up for the runners. One said, "Your feet are hurting because you're kicking butt!". The other said "Smile! You're still faster than the people behind you!". They were big hits with the runners. :)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I missed beating 1:40 in my half marathon yesterday by 16 seconds but still set a new PR by about 5 minutes. I wanted to push myself when I got to mile 10 and run the remainder like a 5k but the back half of the route was just so hilly that I didn't have as much left as I thought I would and I didn't want to over do it with another 20 miler planned this weekend and another half marathon on the 13th. I'm still very happy with the time and handily beat everybody on our corporate team.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have to compliment all you runners out there. That is one thing that I would like to be able to do better but has not been able to for several reasons. It is nothing for me to go on very long hike, but it is at a walking pace.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with running?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Start small. Go run 1 mile. Run it again at the end of the week. Don't go fast. Just run the whole thing.

Next week run 2 miles. You just have to be consistent. The "magic" with running is consistency. If you are consistent it gets easier. It gets more fun.

Dedicate 1 hour to it, two or three times a week. Never skip a day you planned on running.

Enjoy it :)

terraplnr

Cyburbian
This weekend I tried high intensity interval training instead of my usual plodding running pace (am not a fast runner) and holy cow… I had to stop after the sixth interval of running as fast as I could because I felt like I was seriously going to hurl. But it was definitely a different kind of aerobic workout, I'm going to keep it in my regimen. I can’t remember the last time I just ran as fast as I could, I felt like a kid again. :)

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I have to compliment all you runners out there. That is one thing that I would like to be able to do better but has not been able to for several reasons. It is nothing for me to go on very long hike, but it is at a walking pace.

I know lots of non-runners who did couch to 5k with some success. Another method is to start run/walking intervales like 2 minute run, 1 minute walk for a certain amount of distance. As your build up your endurance you can do longer intervals of running if you would like and at some point stop the walking all together. Another suggestion, if you get serious about running is to invest in some good shoes. I would go to your local running shop (not a large sports retailer!) and get fitted by an expert. The right shoes can stop common beginner runner ailments like shin splints.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I know lots of non-runners who did couch to 5k with some success. Another method is to start run/walking intervales like 2 minute run, 1 minute walk for a certain amount of distance. As your build up your endurance you can do longer intervals of running if you would like and at some point stop the walking all together. Another suggestion, if you get serious about running is to invest in some good shoes. I would go to your local running shop (not a large sports retailer!) and get fitted by an expert. The right shoes can stop common beginner runner ailments like shin splints.
The local running shop might also have a running group that you can join up with that meets a couple times a week which could help to motivate you and get you out there.

wahday

Cyburbian
+1 on the just getting out there and doing something small to start Mskis. When I started running some years back I literally started by running around the block. It's a big block admittedly, but still a very modest goal. I also originally did it when I walked the dog so it was part of something I already had to do. The dog is too old to run with me now but I'm hooked so it doesn't matter. That's another thing that will happen after a little while - your body will start yearning for the exercise. You just have to start which can take some discipline.

I have had to step up my running recently because of a neck injury that is preventing me from riding. I've been enjoying it more than I expected. I'm just so in love with biking...

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
5 days left before the Marine Corps Marathon. I've cut down on beer and caffeine quite a bit this year but I've decided to give it all up this final week. The hardest thing is forgoing my morning trip to Starbucks. :( The one exception is that I will allow myself a can of ginger ale on the plane ride down to DC on Thursday.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
5 days left before the Marine Corps Marathon. I've cut down on beer and caffeine quite a bit this year but I've decided to give it all up this final week. The hardest thing is forgoing my morning trip to Starbucks. :( The one exception is that I will allow myself a can of ginger ale on the plane ride down to DC on Thursday.
Woohoo! A co-worker (planner) is running too...good luck!

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Good luck! Carbo load early!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Marine Corps Marathon

I ran in the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday. My initial goal when I signed up back in the spring was 3 hours 45 minutes and a few weeks ago I revised it to 3 hours 35 minutes. Before running it this year, my most recent official marathon time was 4 hours 55 minutes (MCM in 2010) and my personal record was 3 hours 55 minutes (Detroit Free Press Marathon in 2009). My 2010 time was so bad for a variety of reasons, but the three most significant were:

• My daughter was born just a few weeks prior so all my running (and much of my regular sleeping) basically stopped
  • On the morning of the marathon I overslept massively and didn't get to do any of my normal warm-up and morning of routine
  • I was quite hungover

Well, I drank a beer or several each day I was in DC this time around, but not as late at night and not to such excesses as my last time around. I also remembered to get a wake up call for my hotel room and didn't rely on the strange clock radio. I showed up plenty early for the race and kicked butt. 3 hours, 34 minutes, 12 seconds. I had considered pushing myself with either 5k or 10k left but at both points I felt good and was in a great groove so didn't want to risk it and decided to keep a nice even pace throughout.

I'm going to look for a marathon to run somewhere in the Midwest (or maybe Ontario) in the spring and am planning on maybe the Air Force Marathon in September in Dayton.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I ran in the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday. My initial goal when I signed up back in the spring was 3 hours 45 minutes and a few weeks ago I revised it to 3 hours 35 minutes. Before running it this year, my most recent official marathon time was 4 hours 55 minutes (MCM in 2010) and my personal record was 3 hours 55 minutes (Detroit Free Press Marathon in 2009). My 2010 time was so bad for a variety of reasons, but the three most significant were:

• My daughter was born just a few weeks prior so all my running (and much of my regular sleeping) basically stopped
  • On the morning of the marathon I overslept massively and didn't get to do any of my normal warm-up and morning of routine
  • I was quite hungover

Well, I drank a beer or several each day I was in DC this time around, but not as late at night and not to such excesses as my last time around. I also remembered to get a wake up call for my hotel room and didn't rely on the strange clock radio. I showed up plenty early for the race and kicked butt. 3 hours, 34 minutes, 12 seconds. I had considered pushing myself with either 5k or 10k left but at both points I felt good and was in a great groove so didn't want to risk it and decided to keep a nice even pace throughout.

I'm going to look for a marathon to run somewhere in the Midwest (or maybe Ontario) in the spring and am planning on maybe the Air Force Marathon in September in Dayton.
Congrats... that is a great time! Sign up in January right away for the AF Marathon in Dayton, it sells out quick. I wanted to do it a couple years ago but ended up at Columbus because I didn't sign up soon enough.

beach_bum

Cyburbian

• I was quite hungover

Fantastic, I was wondering how it went! My co-worker who ran it too said the weather was great for running. Congrats on a strong finish!

btrage

Cyburbian
I ran a 5K on Saturday. Well actually I ran/walked it because I was with my 7 year old daughter.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I ran a 5K on Saturday. Well actually I ran/walked it because I was with my 7 year old daughter.
I thought of you Saturday (because I saw your fb post, not in a non-weird way) because it was FREEZING and miserable outside at least by me. Hope you guys had fun!

btrage

Cyburbian
I thought of you Saturday (because I saw your fb post, not in a non-weird way) because it was FREEZING and miserable outside at least by me. Hope you guys had fun!
Hey, I'll take weird as well. ;)

Amazingly, the rain and wind stopped right before the race started. It actually turned out to be decent running weather. At one point we had to stop so my 7 year old could take off her hoodie, because she was SO HOT!!!! :)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Hey, I'll take weird as well. ;)

Amazingly, the rain and wind stopped right before the race started. It actually turned out to be decent running weather. At one point we had to stop so my 7 year old could take off her hoodie, because she was SO HOT!!!! :)
I just realized my inappropriate use of a double negative which didn't make that sound right either?! Regardless you can take it anyway you want, ha!

Glad it was nice running weather, especially for the little ones. Nothing worse than being in the middle of 3 miles with a cranky female!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'll put a plug in for the Ottawa marathon http://www.runottawa.ca/. It's a great weekend here and the course is nice (and generally flat!).

I'm planning on doing the half marathon next year with my BIL...Mrs. Tranplanner will probably just do the 10K again.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
Any other runner-nerds watch the NYC marathon live coverage? A great finish for both the ladies and gentlemen! My BF keep trying to talk me into running it next year (I think its an excuse to plan a trip :D) so I'm going to enter the lottery since there would be no way for me to qualify with time. It opens December 2!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Some random running thoughts...

There was a carjacking at the high school down the street from me this morning just after 5:00 a.m. - two young men fired some shots and carjacked a maintenance worker as he was arriving at the school for the day. :-c

The school is about two blocks from my house and 9 days out of 10, I either run right past it or run to it and do some loops on the track and would normally just be running past the lot where the carjacking occurred at maybe 5:02 a.m. However, this morning I decided to run to a different neighborhood so turned right out of my driveway instead of left. It's sort of scary to think what I might have encountered had I gone the other way.

FWIW, this is a neighborhood where something like this happens maybe once every few years and is big news when it does. I often see women of all ages out running in the predawn hours all by themselves. I've never felt unsafe on any of my runs, no matter what the time of day. I'm sure it will make me be a bit more vigilant while I am out on my runs for a few weeks but I imagine soon it will be a distant memory.

wahday

Cyburbian
There was a carjacking at the high school down the street from me this morning just after 5:00 a.m. - two young men fired some shots and carjacked a maintenance worker as he was arriving at the school for the day. :-c

The school is about two blocks from my house and 9 days out of 10, I either run right past it or run to it and do some loops on the track and would normally just be running past the lot where the carjacking occurred at maybe 5:02 a.m. However, this morning I decided to run to a different neighborhood so turned right out of my driveway instead of left. It's sort of scary to think what I might have encountered had I gone the other way.

FWIW, this is a neighborhood where something like this happens maybe once every few years and is big news when it does. I often see women of all ages out running in the predawn hours all by themselves. I've never felt unsafe on any of my runs, no matter what the time of day. I'm sure it will make me be a bit more vigilant while I am out on my runs for a few weeks but I imagine soon it will be a distant memory.
That's pretty freaky no matter how you slice it! I sometimes run through some sketchy areas, but have never encountered anything myself aside from the occasional intimidating comment from a driver passing me. I do not, however, run with any money, wallet, etc. So, I guess it will take them a while to identify my body...

beach_bum

Cyburbian
That's pretty freaky no matter how you slice it! I sometimes run through some sketchy areas, but have never encountered anything myself aside from the occasional intimidating comment from a driver passing me. I do not, however, run with any money, wallet, etc. So, I guess it will take them a while to identify my body...
I dont run near any bad areas, but that doesnt mean that me running on the side of the road isn't an opportunity for a crime for some sicko. Being only 5' it wouldn't take much for someone to over power me, even though I work out and I am in good shape. I need to start back carrying my mini mase spray. I get a bright color canister to wear so people know I have it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I dont run near any bad areas, but that doesnt mean that me running on the side of the road isn't an opportunity for a crime for some sicko. Being only 5' it wouldn't take much for someone to over power me, even though I work out and I am in good shape. I need to start back carrying my mini mase spray. I get a bright color canister to wear so people know I have it.
It makes me sad whenver I read these kind of things. Not saying it isn't a reasonable precaution, but underscores how women are put in a position where they have to think of themselves as targets for violence. :( (probably material for a different thread/discussion.)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It makes me sad whenver I read these kind of things. Not saying it isn't a reasonable precaution, but underscores how women are put in a position where they have to think of themselves as targets for violence. :( (probably material for a different thread/discussion.)
When my wife's cousin was visiting our house for the first time a couple years ago she made a comment that you can always tell you're in a safe neighborhood by the number of women you see out running by themselves.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My goal for December: Run at least 2 miles every single day, no matter the weather or how much and what sort of holiday cheer I consumed the night before.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My goal for December: Run at least 2 miles every single day, no matter the weather or how much and what sort of holiday cheer I consumed the night before.
Mission accomplished. I finished the month with 174 miles and a bit more than 1,815 miles for the year. And as of this morning, I am registered for the 2014 Air Force Marathon in Dayton in September.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
When my wife's cousin was visiting our house for the first time a couple years ago she made a comment that you can always tell you're in a safe neighborhood by the number of women you see out running by themselves.
When we were in Philly in Sept we saw women running solo everywhere downtown, it was great and very reassuring. I thought it said a lot about the city.

Great job on the December numbers and 2014 WSU, very impressive!

I ran Saturday for first time in three months. Not injured or doing any other cardio, just not motivated. Needing and wanting to get back into it effective immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I ran a trail half marathon on Saturday and it kicked my butt. This was my first half marathon that was entirely on single-track trails. I didn't even know that many miles worth of single-tracks existed in Metro Detroit! There was also nearly 1,300' of elevation climb over the course, which is an insane amount for this part of Michigan over 13 miles. The course was gorgeous though and I'm looking forward to getting back out there for something a bit more leisurely soon.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
I ran a trail half marathon on Saturday and it kicked my butt. This was my first half marathon that was entirely on single-track trails. I didn't even know that many miles worth of single-tracks existed in Metro Detroit! There was also nearly 1,300' of elevation climb over the course, which is an insane amount for this part of Michigan over 13 miles. The course was gorgeous though and I'm looking forward to getting back out there for something a bit more leisurely soon.
Wow, I'm impressed! That is an insane elevation climb for a half marathon.

wahday

Cyburbian
Well done! And that's a respectable amount of climbing for biking let alone running. I have bee running more on trails lately and really enjoy it. More to keep my mind off the pounding pavement. Plus the varied terrain feels kinder on my body overall. I definitely find myself running further.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Happy National Running Day!

Today is National Running Day.

I celebrated by kicking off my training plan for September's Air Force Marathon and getting in a 6 mile run. I plan on getting in another 6 miles before bed tonight.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I am not a terribly out of shape person but I kind of hate running. I've been trying more recently but I still hate it. Any tips on getting into it?

wahday

Cyburbian
I am not a terribly out of shape person but I kind of hate running. I've been trying more recently but I still hate it. Any tips on getting into it?
For me, the trick has always been trying to create a state of mind where I am not constantly thinking “I am running!” Sometimes I run with my dog and that is a good distraction. I also sometimes run on trails as opposed to the streets and I like that the best. Its also less repetitive as you are making little minor adjustments to your stride, strike, etc. You also have to pay a little more attention to the trail and your surroundings and, again, I find that takes my mind off the monotony of the running. Its very much a meditative state of mind.

I found once I could get in “the zone” and turn off my brain while running that the time passes quickly and I feel more rejuvenated in general. Indeed, this is one of the therapeutic aspects of exercise for me. But it can be hard to get to that place (though once you do, its easy to get back).

I would also say not to kill yourself out there. Work up to a challenging distance in small increments. Otherwise, you can overdo it and then you REALLY develop bad feelings toward running. When I picked up running some years back, I had a modest goal of just running around the block (it’s a big block to be fair) and I just built from there. Though to be fair, I have only been running once a week of late. Most of my exercise has shifted to biking. Went for a great evening right yesterday – lovely sunset and empty trails = good times!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I hit my 1,000 mile mark Sunday. This is about 3 weeks earlier than I hit it last year. I'm aiming for 2,014 miles this year and I am a bit behind where I'd like to be, but August, September, and October are always my high mileage months so it's still possible. I'm hoping to get between 225 and 250 miles each of the next three months which would give me a nice cushion going into November and December.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I hit my 1,000 mile mark Sunday. This is about 3 weeks earlier than I hit it last year. I'm aiming for 2,014 miles this year and I am a bit behind where I'd like to be, but August, September, and October are always my high mileage months so it's still possible. I'm hoping to get between 225 and 250 miles each of the next three months which would give me a nice cushion going into November and December.
I think that's great! Any races planned for the rest of the year?

I've run..... (drum roll)..... 5.8 this year. No, the decimal is not in the wrong place, there are no zeroes missing. :r: Until this past week I haven't ran at all this year, nor even gone to the gym. I just have been tired and lazy and disgruntled. I have also felt like crap, tired, and not well, so I am sucking it up and getting back into it because I feel so much better when I do.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I think that's great! Any races planned for the rest of the year?
I've got the Crim 10 mile run in Flint next month, a very hilly 30k in the western part of the county Labor Day weekend, the Air Force Marathon in Dayton in September, a pretty hilly local half marathon at the start of October (my office was the original organizer of this half marathon but we have since handed it over to an outside group), and the Marine Corps Marathon in NOVA/DC at the end of October. After that I usually run a handful of local 10k runs in November and December but nothing noteworthy.