• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Rural zoning studies

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm putting together a proposal to examine rural zoning practices in the state of Ohio.

I wanted to find out if anyone is familiar with any regional or state-wide studies that compare zoning practices in rural areas.

I know this is a bit broad, but anything would be helpful

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
There seem to be very few systematic comparative studies of zoning practices, and those I have seen are more descriptive than analytical . The Greater Yellowstone Coalition evaluated the status of local planning and land use regulation in its region in a fairly recent study and the American Farmland Trust has made similar evaluations in different regions, including western CO and the Central Valley of CA. Check the websites for those organizations.

I did a training on rural performance zoning in OH a few years ago and found lots of interest, but very little action. Ross County is still exploring the idea and I understand that Highland County is thinking about something based on my conversations with them (Tim DeWitt at Bennett and Williams is working with them, I think). What people were familiar with, and what I assume represents standard practice in the part of Ohio I was involved in was photocopied from suburban places -- an approach that tends to work poorly in genuinely rural places.

Rural counties in OH are really hampered by the ridiculous state subdivision law.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Thanks for the info. I'll check with Tim DeWitt and see if he knows of anything else.

There are a couple of groups of townships that are working together to try to adopt consistant zoning regulations and building codes for all of the townships in the county.

However, I agree that most of them just copy from someone else and many are not based on a comp plan. That's part of what I want to find out. Who developed the ordinance? Why? Any thought to long range planning etc.?

If we are going to move forward with positive change in rural zoning, we really need an assessment of the current status of township zoning in this state.

Check with Steve Gorden in the City and Regional Planning Program at Ohio State-Columbus. He had done some work back in 1996 in the Clear Creek Watershed dealing with BMP and Zoning for agricultural and rural uses. He may have done some additional studies in other areas.