• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

SAC is banned! (AIB - Banned licence plate letter combinations)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Since most states have now adopted a three-letter prefix or suffix for licence plate numbers for private vehicles, you can probably imagine that certain combinations such as FUX, DIK, CUM, ASS, or HOR are outright banned. Other combinations that once meant nothing (such as HIV) have recently been added to many ban lists because of their newly acquired darker meaning. Some combinations with the letter 'Q' get banned, because it looks so much like 'O'. Thus you're unlikely to see CQK, FQK, or HQR

Others are banned on racial or ethnic grounds (JEW, MEX) or are combinations that are considered racial slurs such as JAP or NIG. Others might not be blatently offensive, but are banned because they could cause embarrassment for motorists. Examples include BUM, GOD, DUD and UGH. Still others are not issued because of drug references such as POT or LSD.

Occassioinally, some objectionable combinations slip through and get printed like the infamous issue of the ASS prefix in New Brunswick (which were never distributed and supposed to be destroyed but somehow found their way into private collections) or a case in Ohio a few years ago when the SIN prefix was issued, prompting many outraged motorists to return their plates.

Others may be unique to a particular state. For example, the prefix 'DVN" is banned in Florida, but not California. Conversely. 'SLA' is banned in California but not Florida. California also is unique in banning CHP solely due to its reference to CHiPS - California Highway Patrol - and the confusion that may result in motorists thinking they were cops plates.

Others may find numbers objectionable, particulary 666 for states that still have the three-digit sequences. Motorists turn those in all the time. Or certain combinations of number or letters, harmless on their own, may raise some eyebrows: Ohio is just starting with the Es in their AAA0000 series. I wonder if EAT6969 will be banned or will it slip through. I would love to be at the licence bureau that issues that prefix when those numbers come up.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/blueplate/fladmv2.html
http://www.calpl8s.com/cpinfo.html

The links above show a list of banned letter combinations in Florida and California (some of which are no longer banned) Most other states probably have a very similar list. What is mystifying to me is why combinations like CUZ, EEK, FAN, QVA, SAM, or YEP. CUZ is a recent add, one of four to be added since 1979. Are these combinations blatetently offensive for some reason?

And SAC! California has banned the prefix SAC for some reason.:-o Anyone know why?

Excluding vanity plates, have you ever seen any strange letter combinations that got issued in your state or province?

Last edited:
I say ban none of the combinations. Recognize them for what they are - random. If you ban some objectionables but miss others, well, THEN you're (rightly so) in trouble. It's best to just avoid altogether.

Gedunker

Moderating
Way back when, one of my ugly baby-poop brown New Jersey license plates (Garden State) was 365-HIV.:-o

Indiana currently uses the most clever system I've seen: the first two digits are the numeric prefix for each county, so that it is possible to know where someone is from when you meet them on the road somewhere (providing you know all 92 counties), or when they are parked at a historic site, mall, or other *destination*. Indeed, my kids have become expert at knowing that "88" plates (Washington County, or in the local lingo 'Whoooooshington") are really bad drivers, and they'll say "Look out Dad, there's an 88 in front of us...":)

I've seen some Kentucky tags that made me think, but I can't recall any on a Friday morning...:-$

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm a Jew with a Jew plate . . . except its "JU-***." When I got it I thought "Great, they're labeling us now." :-D

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
When Ohio issued their bicentennial plates in 2002, the sequence ran like this: AA00AA. (Two sets of letters seperated by a two digit number). I've seen such plates as FA##RT, DY##KE and FA##GH.

The only got up to the low Fs before the plates were discontinued and the AAA0000 types were reissued. One has to wonder if FU69CK would have made it through.

Last edited:

imaplanner

Cyburbian
People are too sensitive. What a bunch of wimpy Americans we are if we can't deal with seeing a license plate that has a couple letters together that might possible be mistaken for a word that we don't like.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
imaplanner said:
People are too sensitive. What a bunch of wimpy Americans we are if we can't deal with seeing a license plate that has a couple letters together that might possible be mistaken for a word that we don't like.
dittos. A word only has the 'power' that you give it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I miss my last FL plate, which began IQ1. It was fun checking plates on the road for other "stupid" people.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Mrs. Maister's old license plate was something like 'YAK 645'. Anyone who knows hear and how much she likes to talk got a charge outta it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Coming from Oregon where they do not allow any custom plates with religious connotations it's been interesting to see the many vanity plates in SC with GOD in the text. They also have a special plate that has a very prominent "In God We Trust" as the design.

donk

Cyburbian
Tricky Dick Hatfield probably handed all of the NB plates out to his "friends".

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister said:
Mrs. Maister's old license plate was something like 'YAK 645'. Anyone who knows hear and how much she likes to talk got a charge outta it.
Did you type this on maichaelskis' PC?

;)

Baer

biscuit

Cyburbian
It's know this is not really what SAC had in mind when this thread was started, but this is too good not to share. I snapped this vanity plate on the back of a Jeep in an upscale suburb a couple of months back. I'm surprised it wasn't on the "banned" list.

And do you really have to ask why SAC is not allowed? :-c ;)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
It's know this is not really what SAC had in mind when this thread was started, but this is too good not to share. I snapped this vanity plate on the back of a Jeep in an upscale suburb a couple of months back. I'm surprised it wasn't on the "banned" list.

And do you really have to ask why SAC is not allowed? :-c ;)
I really have no idea unless it refers to the male anatomy.

GISgal

Cyburbian
One of the agency divisions I work for has SAC as an acronym. Most of the systems I work with at work were named Application Sub-System, which was then abbreviated. Most humiliating is my title at work is the acronym PMS. Winning on all fronts....

el Guapo

Professor Emeritus of Cyburbian Studies
My completely randomly assigned motorcycle plate is DX 1GH.

Which is cool because in the ham and shortwave listening community 1GH is a frequency, and DX is short hand for trying to pick up a distant radio station. Which is a more difficult process than you would ordinarilty assume. So I got that going for me.

Attachments