• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Safer design for pedestrians and cyclists

JNL

Cyburbian
I'll be away next week to do my first consulting job, which I'm looking forward to. A lot of the time my work as a researcher involves sitting at my desk so it will be a nice change, and I will get to put some of my research into practice (plus it's a beautiful area!!). A region is developing a pedestrian and cycling strategy and my role is to advise on some crime prevention principles for the design of pedestrian areas and cycleways. So I will be conducting site visits and speaking to local Police, then developing some recommendations for the strategy.

Has anyone done anything similar to this before? Any tips for working with police....?

donk

Cyburbian
JNL asked
Any tips for working with police....?

Take donuts. ;)

On a serious note, my experience in working with our police has been varied, but I have found that it best to explain to them what you are doing and why you are doing it and hope that they understand and can figure out what stats they collect that you need.

Here area few links to groups and pages I've looked at for this topic

Try these folks for transportation based info http://www.goforgreen.ca/home_e.html

City of Toronto also has a really active Bicycle Group.
Here is some info on them

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/cyclometer/cyclometeraprmay_1997.htm

Have not reviewed this one thoroughly, but used the paths frequently in the past

http://www.cyclewindsor.ca

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
donk said:
JNL asked

Take donuts. ;)

LOL! Also try the web site for Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED).

www.cpted-watch.com/

A lot of younger cops here are doing bike patrols, so they could actually turn into allies. 'specially if you bring the jelly-filled donuts! Good Luck!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just remember, it is very difficult to carry a TV on a bicycle.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you start getting accused of bringing criminals into the neighborhood.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike D. said:

You'll know what I'm talking about when you start getting accused of bringing criminals into the neighborhood.

You can however carry off suburban white women on a tandem. So watch out!

JNL

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:

He he... I'll make sure that goes in my report somewhere.

Thanks for the tips people. Gedunker's on the right track, it's CPTED principles I'll mainly be dealing with (rather than traffic safety)... so, when peds and cyclists are off-road, do they have any concerns for personal security (ie threat of assault, mugging, harassment) and if yes, where, and how might the design of the environment be improved to alleviate those concerns? Improvements could include more effective lighting, trimming shrubbery, having appropriately located (and easily understandable) signage, avoiding blind corners, and trying to avoid having isolated spots.

Don't know if you can get jelly-filled donuts here.......

donk

Cyburbian
Actually in my neck of the woods, it is plain sugar donuts.

I'll give you some of my cycling / walking trail experiences.

The only place I feel unsafe is where trails cross the road, not at right angles and where intersections are not well lit. I will elaborate on this.

I have really only used this type of trail to avoid riding on the street with no lights at dusk, most of the time i'd rather ride on the street as I can travel faster and not have to worry about slow people walking with their honey or dogs not on leashes.

I know that a concern of pedestrians, is us cyclists that "zoom" past them. A way to counter that is either through design of the trail network, make it somewhat curvy(think traffic calming) and wide enough for 2 people and a bike to pass one another.(see the honey walking comment above)