• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Saturday morning I got high...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
...up over the city and shot about eighty photos. Here are a few...

Beginning with a far-off view of the central city...

11Downtown_1.jpg

And another view from the south...

11Downtown_2.jpg

Getting closer, the lakefront park used to be a brownfield...

11Downtown_3.jpg

Another shot of downtown, just because I like it...

11Downtown_4.jpg

The site where the condos are being built used to be an abandoned brownfield...

11Brownfield.jpg

A shot of the main part of the university campus...

11Campus.jpg

From the east, and I'll claim designing the mixed-use, mixed-density subdivision in the foreground...

11East_Side.jpg

Looking across the south side of the city toward a new subdivision, where all of the lakeshore you see will become city park land...

11South_Side.jpg

Lastly, the Main Street shopping district, with campus about a quarter of the way up on the left, and downtown at the top of the photo.

11Main_Street.jpg

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Looks very nice. What is the population of your town?

Do you actually have trees that turn in the fall up there?

jordanb

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

It looks like about a third of them in those pictures have already turned...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

The population is about 14,000. That does not include all of the university population.

We are in the prairie/savanna belt of southern Wisconsin, meaning the oldest of the city's trees are bur oaks (quercus macrocarpa). One is even in the National Register of Historic Places. It was part of the 1830 public land survey.

The Kettle Moraine State Forest runs along the eastern and southern edges of the city. Many of these mountain summits are covered with mostly hardwood forests of maple, butternut, walnut, oak, etc. Those are mostly the same trees you will find in the city itself. I took a hike a couple days ago and shot some trees turning. If any of those look good I'll post a couple.

Rem

Cyburbian
You must have been happy to have such a clear day for the photos - thanks for going to the trouble to take and post them.

The City looks very inviting and the handling of the lake foreshore looks good. I couldn't see too many foreshore parks without constructed edge treatments. Are there areas where access is available for water users (canoes,dinghys, swimming etc.)?

Also I wondered why there doesn't appear to be many street trees (trees on the footpath). The City obviously has many trees in parks and yards and setbacks but I couldn't see too many behind the kerb. Has there been a conscious decision on this?

Also, can you tell me whether I am correct in assuming the City's original layout was planned by a surveyor or landscape architect? They love those radial vistas. I'm assuming some line up with distant views of the mountains you have mentioned elsewhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
The population is about 14,000. That does not include all of the university population.
JEEZ counting UWW would almost double the population. ;)

Where is the fountain? I cant possibly reminesce correctly without seeing it. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Nice Aerial photos!!

very nice.

The lake front park land in downtown between the street and the (I assume) railroad ROW, would be great space for expanding the exsiting main street style buildings.

The constrast between the relative leafyness of the city and the relative emptiness of the farmland just outside the city is striking. It goes from 'trees to no trees' quite suddenly.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Queen B said:
Those were great!
What mechanism did you use to get high?
Plane? Balloon??

......Or WEEEEEEED?????????

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rem said:
You must have been happy to have such a clear day for the photos - thanks for going to the trouble to take and post them.

The City looks very inviting and the handling of the lake foreshore looks good. I couldn't see too many foreshore parks without constructed edge treatments. Are there areas where access is available for water users (canoes,dinghys, swimming etc.)?

Also I wondered why there doesn't appear to be many street trees (trees on the footpath). The City obviously has many trees in parks and yards and setbacks but I couldn't see too many behind the kerb. Has there been a conscious decision on this?

Also, can you tell me whether I am correct in assuming the City's original layout was planned by a surveyor or landscape architect? They love those radial vistas. I'm assuming some line up with distant views of the mountains you have mentioned elsewhere.
That one section of lakefront is about the only area you will see a hard edge. The remainder of the shore is natural. We are lucky in that about a third of one lake is edged by city park or a cemetery. A third of the other lake is bordered by city park, and we are slowly buying up the remaining undeveloped third. There are three boat launches in addition to the public pier at the downtown lakefront.

We do have a lot of street trees. They are required in all new subdivisions (one every 10 meters) and we have a replacement plan for dead trees. About half of the leaves are off right now (it is Autumn here).

The city was laid out is it is because of the lakes. There is an east-west highway, and the roads to the west were angled parallel to the shore so that they create the fan. In a pedestrian era, it would have been very convenient. Unfortunately, the vistas are not particularly exciting. Our "mountains" rise up only a hundred meters above the surrounding countryside. They are the divide between the Mississippi and St. Lawrence Basins, though.

martini

Cyburbian
Nice shots! I drove through there last yearon my way back to Minn from Milwauke. It was a great drive. Took twice as long as the interstate, but the roads were great and the towns I drove through were wonderful. Well worth the extra time we took. I was especailly impressed with LaGrange and the store they've got there at teh trail head. Cool little place, and the sold great beer.

edit to add: the BEST thing about WW though, is the fact that Waterford Cycles/Gunnar Bikes are made just up the road in Waterford. Great bikes!

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Great shots! I've always liked Whitewater, used to go see drum corps competitions there (now I'm gonna get flamed). During my years in Platteville, we were usually jealous (I bet they still are) of Whitewater's pace of development. 'Course, UWP always did beat UWW in basketball back in those days. Great downtown (great bars, as I remember it) and nice campus make for a great town. Good job, Cardinal!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Great downtown (great bars, as I remember it) and nice campus make for a great town. Good job, Cardinal!
The licenses for two of our four bars on Main Street have been yanked because the owner and several of the bartendersd were arrested for selling cocaine. We are now considering a moratorium on new bars in part of the downtown. Maybe Main Street can be reclaimed for more retail.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
The licenses for two of our four bars on Main Street have been yanked because the owner and several of the bartendersd were arrested for selling cocaine. We are now considering a moratorium on new bars in part of the downtown. Maybe Main Street can be reclaimed for more retail.
-Hey that shouldn't stop you from supporting legitimate bars :b:. As for supporting more retail, talk to Wal-Mart on that one, they got the monopoly, unlike cocaine.

boiker

Cyburbian
Cardinal-

Took US 12 through your town on my way further into Wisconsin last weekend. You know... where all FIB's take their kids! Da Dells.

Noted a B&B i and wife want to stay athttp://www.bandbhamiltonhouse.com/

Like the small town collegy feeling type pace ya got there.

Rem

Cyburbian
boiker said:
.....Noted a B&B i and wife want to stay at ...Like the small town collegy feeling type pace ya got there.
That is a great looking B&B. Didn't bump into Mortisha, Gomez and the gang did you?

boiker

Cyburbian
Rem said:
That is a great looking B&B. Didn't bump into Mortisha, Gomez and the gang did you?
i meant that i 'discovered' the b&b on my trip.. i didn't get a chance to stay there. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Cardinal-

Took US 12 through your town on my way further into Wisconsin last weekend. You know... where all FIB's take their kids! Da Dells.

Noted a B&B i and wife want to stay athttp://www.bandbhamiltonhouse.com/

Like the small town collegy feeling type pace ya got there.
It's a very interesting place, and my office is the old library next door. Here's some info on the Hamilton House...

- It was a stop on the underground railway. There are tunnels coming into the basement.

- It is (was) haunted. The story goes that the family who built it had a son that died as a child. The mother had made the tiles set into one of the fireplaces, one for each child. Over the years the tile for this child was lost. At times a child could be heard crying, and an apparition of a woman (the mother?) could be seen in the yard. When the house was restored workers found the missing tile in the yard where the apparition was seen. It was placed back in the fireplace and the hauntings have stopped.

- Back in the 1970's it was a fraternity house. Not just any fraternity house. John Belushi's fraternity house.