• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sausage towns?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yup. Sausage towns. These are places where single men outnumber single women by a very noticeable amount. They're not necessarily communities dominated by gay men; they're just places where there aren't many women.

Where are these places? I want to know, so I can avoid 'em in the future, should I have to leave Kansas City. I know about San Jose, with its tech-driven economy. What about other places where guys sit around and wonder "where the women be at?"

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Can't help you here. 45% male and 55% female. College towns usually have more women because they are smarter than men.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Keep going, guys. The Ladies of Cyburbia want to know where all the men are!

(There are plenty of single men in Florida. Unfortunately, most of them are bitter old retirees. Yuck.)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Wrong question. I'm sure the guys here would rather read a thread called "Vagina Towns."

plankton

Cyburbian
Michigan Tech University (Houghton/Hancock)

Reason #2 why I chose to attend Michigan State.

BTW, I used to live next door to a sausage factory while living in Hamtramck, MI. I still wake up in cold sweats from the experience.

MontyP

Mountain towns...

I lived in San Jose for three years and it is indeed a Sausage Fest. I know of guys there who locate their women in the Central Valley or even Texas or Los Angeles and then "import" them for weekend visits.

I have also heard that resort towns in the Rockies, especially near ski areas like Breckenridge, are heavy with sausage. Too many snowboard bums...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Nemesis said:
Lakewood, Ohio
I dont think that one - or any gaycentric city - counts. I thought the thread was geared to "accidental" sausage towns

SCCOTS

Several co-workers here in Port Huron, Mi complain about the paltry stable of eligible batchelorettes

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Here... sausage towns or cities are the ones that are in the northern and southern regions. Women aren't very fond of the idea of living in the middle of the desert or in a chilly thundra habitat. And yes, you've guessed it, the region that has more women is inherently the Metropolitan region of Santiago (you know they can't live without the malls ;))

jresta

Cyburbian
this is an interesting concept.

last year i was looking through census data for the city and i noticed that in most neighborhoods the female/male ratio was around 52/48. Some neighborhoods in West Philly (around UPenn) were up around 55/45.

Then i kept seeing these neighborhoods that were 60/40 or 65/35 - all the ghetto - most of the men were apparently in jail.

And of course, the only census tract with more men than women was the Gayborhood which came in around 47/53. You'd think it would be tipped even more toward the male side but certain women flock to this neighborhood. For whatever stereotypes or strange ideas about crime a lot of them think they'll be safer around gay men.