Say goodbye to vBulletin 4, and hello to XenForo!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've been meaning to do this for a long, long time.

vBulletin 4 sucks. It's a resource hog, and the root cause of overloading and crashing the server. vBulletin 4 deoended on an "end of life" version of MySQL, which meant I couldn't update the Web server. If I did, the site would break.

I've been meaning to change the software for a long, long time, but there were few options.

ZenForo was created by the programmers who created vBulletin 3, long considered the most stable version of the message board script. A growing number of message boards have made the move from vBulletin to XenForo. After doing some research, I decided to make the switch here at Cyburbia, on a Saturday in early January when traffic is slow..

I'm still learning the lay of the land. There's still some configuration and tweaking that needs to be done. In the meantime, here's a brief FAQ, which we'll amend over time.

What happened to the avatars?

For some reason, the conversion script didn't move the old avatars over. If you have 25 posts or more, you should be able to upload a new avatar to replace the default initial. Click on your username on the top right, hover over the letter, and click on "edit avatar". Alternatively, click on your username at the top, then "account details".

Where's the image gallery?

I've been debating getting rid of it, because there's better options out there. We're going to install the XenForo version of the old PhotoPost image gallery, and hopefully all the old uploads will transfer over. However, it'll be there so you can save your old uploads. Image hosting takes up a lot of bandwidth and server space, and it doesn't draw that much more traffic to the site. I'd like to turn the gallery off permanently by the middle of 2019.

Where's the blog?

Nobody was using it, so it went bye bye. I might add a blogging platform in the future, if traffic picks up.

Where's the ad banner?

Gone. Even with decent traffic, Google Adsense revenue shrunk through the years, to the point where it wasn't worth the bother. Also, it's easier to justify emergency maintenance of this site from my full time workplace if there's no revenue.

Where the hell were you?

Behind the scenes. Being an absentee landlord, in a way, and a kind of shitty one at that. My life changed dramatically when I got married -- never thought it would happen -- and I sort of lost interest in maintaining Cyburbia. I was just doing it for so long. I'll be here a lot more often from this point forward. Still, I'm considering passing on the site to someone else who will be a good steward in the coming years.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Feel free to post about any problems you're having. If you're locked out of your account for some reason, you can create a temporary new account to post about any problems here.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Thanks, Dan for all your hard work and commitment. We certainly all appreciate it greatly.

This new format is simply just new and have to get use to looking at this new "Matrix".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
You're welcome! Still needs a bit of work. I'll find out what, exactly, over the coming weeks.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's some weirdness with permissions in a couple of the Cyburbian Plus subforums. Working on it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Looks....interesting. Thanks for all your unsung hard work and looking forward to your active return.

Hink

OH....IO
Man, this is so different. I like it! Good work, and glad to have you back!

Yes, the new forum software is a major jump in aesthetics and from what I've seen so far, functionality.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm going to try to resolve issues with user groups and permissions tonight. XenForo handles them differently than vBulletin. For the most part, it uses a cumulative approach (ideally, everyody should belong to a default "registered" group, with subgroups allowing additional or removed privileges). vBulletin uses separate user groups, where users belong only to one group, each with its own set of privileges.

Dan, the new site looks great. One question that I did have was regarding posting in the safe space forum. It appears that I no longer have access. Do I need to re-request?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dan, the new site looks great. One question that I did have was regarding posting in the safe space forum. It appears that I no longer have access. Do I need to re-request?
No. It's one of the forums where I'vm having problems with access. It's something I'm going to try to work on tonight.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
User groups/ranks, forum permissions, etc -- I'll work on it on Thursday or this weekend. XenForo manages groups much differently than vBulletin, and I want to have the time to do it right.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Playing around with different color schemes. If you want the more traditional theme, select "Cyburbia default style 2" on the lower left side of the browser window. (Using the XenForo default, believe it or not, would give us the Planetizen color scheme!)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tried installing a plugin, and broke ... something. Even restoring all the scripts to their orginal state didn't fix it. The site works, but I can't run plugins. Working on a solution.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
* Fixed the registration link in the banner sown to unregistered visitors.
* Problem with the user map plugin -- the install completed with a bunch of errors, but it works. However, it's not in the admin unistall menu. Working on it.