Say goodbye to vBulletin 4, and hello to XenForo!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Is there a way to have a button that takes you to the last post you haven't read in a thread, like the old forum? Is it there but I am missing it? I just seem to go to the last post, and miss lots of context.
It does it automagically when you click the bold thread title.

Hink

OH....IO
It does it automagically when you click the bold thread title.
I always click the time on the right.... because that is how we used to do it, kinda. Well isn't that a horse of a different color. Thanks!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Highlighted text in the rich text editor (new post window, reply window, etc) is now more visible.

(30)_Say_goodbye_to_vBulletin_4,_and_hello_to_XenForo!_Page_2_Cyburbia_-_Urban_Planning_Commun...png

You joined this forum 5 months before I was born which is amazing!

I also enjoy browsing and posting to Reddit, but there isn't really an urban planning community there.
I started the site in 1994 as something of an unauthorized project in grad school. It's ancient by Internet standards, I know. I regret not buying the .com version of the domain name when it was still available.

r/urbanplanning on Reddit really doesn't have much discussion about planning practice. It seems more like NUMTOT discussion, with a few younger planners floating around among a larger group of armchair urbanists. As a whole,. r/urbanplanning has a lot of disdain for the planning profession. Planners all love cars, motor vehicle dependency, cul-de-sacs, stroads, single family and single use zoning, parking minimums, post-WWII suburbia, etc. Regulations for signs, landscaping, architecture, aesthetics, subdivision control, and the like result in places that are "Disney-fied", "sterile", "white", "unauthentic", etc. Gentrification is evil. Zoning is bad, except the kind they use in Japan. Never mind Japan's notoriously chaotic and cluttered built environment; that's just "authenticity".

_-391--_-_Google_Maps_-_201.jpg
Real urbanism. Uh huh.

I'll admit that discussions about the thresholds for amending a site plan, or requirements for screening rooftop mechanical equipment, aren't nearly as interesting as news articles about NIMBY vs YIMBY battles in superstar cities, or circlejerks about how cars and suburbs are evil. (We talk NIMBY, YIMBY, housing, and transportation here too, but tend not to get all hive-mindey about it.) Still, most planners don't work in San Francisco or Seattle, and the mundane bits makes up the bulk of our work. After a while, that becomes interesting in its own right. They're small, but essential ingredients in making a great place. Even if it were politically possible, you can't just ban cars, plop down a couple hundred Limebikes, zone it all SmartCode T5 and T6, and call it the day.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Transparent sections of .png avatars now display properly, at least with the default style (Cyburbia blue style 1).

H

Cyburbian
Yeah! I was logged out of the old one forever for some reason (could not reset password after trying several times), but this new version let me back in! Bummer about the avatar, but somehow just an H is a fitting avatar so perhaps I will keep it...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yeah! I was logged out of the old one forever for some reason (could not reset password after trying several times), but this new version let me back in! Bummer about the avatar, but somehow just an H is a fitting avatar so perhaps I will keep it...
Glad to see you again! :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Working on the firewall. Server was down for a bit. Nothing to do with XenForo. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Editing a large post will trigger an error message. This is a server side error; mod_security is getting a false positive for an SQL injection attack. I'll fix it tonight.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
* Increased maximum characters in a post (including BBcode) from 10,000 to 100,000.

* Fixed the "oops" error when editing a large message.

* Simplifying message board rules. I'll tweak the policies later.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
* Renamed the Planning and the Built Environment category to Planning, Placemaking, and the Built Environment.

* Rearranged the order of some subforums under the Planning and the Built Environment Planning, Placemaking, and the Built Environment category.

* Added emoji to most of the message board rules.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Experimenting with rearranging the subforum order. The more social (and much busier) groups are above the more professional groups. I think having the Planning and the Built Environment subforums at the top, to give the impression that Cyburbia is really a professional site, is less critical now — especially given the popularity of professional discussion groups on social networking and news aggregator sites like Facebook and Reddit.

A shortcoming --FAC regulars may not scroll down to see the planing-related posts. Let's see how this works for a week or two.

EDIT: Never mind. I think folks might be used to the FAC where it is, and not scroll past the planning-related subforums.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ahhhhhh! A nice healthy purge of:

* Users with 0 posts, who haven't visited Cyburbia in a year or more. NHPlanner did a purge of some older 0-post members a while back. I just squeezed out a bit more.

* Also deleted the banned spammers with 0 posts. A minor shortcoming -- they could re-register, as one already did. (From India, but through a server farm in Denmark. We now completely block registration from IP addresses in India and a few other countries with a very high spam-to-legitimate-user ratio.)

Some message boards don't purge, but I thought it was abut time. (I'm glad NHPlanner did it while I was in the distant background the past couple of years.) It makes the membership count more accurately reflect reality, and reduces bounced emails from notices.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Added a few more smiles.

:shrug: Shrug

:dd: Debbie Downer

:il: Illinois

:wi: Wisconsin

:mullet: General contractor

:flamingo: Flamingo

:ca: California

More this weekend.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Added a regular expression to control new user names. New user names can include the letters A-Z (uppercase and lowercase), eth and thorn, numerals 0-9, spaces, and period/full stop, hyphen, and underscore symbols.

Names can’t start with a space or non-alphanumeric character. They also can’t use accented letters, Cyrillic/Arabic/Hebrew or other non-Roman alphabets, Chinese/Japanese/Korean, other symbols, or emoji. Sorry, but your username can’t be 👉👌 or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Removed Google Plus from the "Share this page" widget.

Directing search engine bots to stop trying to crawl long-gone parts of the site. This should help accelerate the now-slow reindexing of the site, and boost the number and placement of more content-rich pages on Google and Bing.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I tried to edit a longer message, and got an error. Again, something probably related to the site's firewall. I'll have a look tonight.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Why'd the total message count go down? I did a long-needed purge of the (hidden) spam subforum. I originally saved the spam messages for "research". Most forum spam now takes the form of profile links from new users, and we catch them pretty quickly.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Merged the Job Board and Announcements forums. Same rules apply.

Cleaned out the old APA Los Angeles Chapter forum (previously hidden), moved remaining messages to relevant forums, and deleted the original forum.

Moved all the threads from the Plannersphere forum into other relevant forums. Feel free to post links to interesting news articles or blog entries in other forums. Please add some context, or your thoughts about the content, as a conversation starter - don’t just post a link alone, like on some other web sites (coughRedditcough).

I also moved all the threads from one of the oldest legacy forums, Perry’s Cantina (essentially a proto-blog from the late Perry Norton, FAICP), into other relevant forums. The forum was hidden from view for a while. Some of its threads date back to the late 1990s. The moved threads don’t have any tags or prefixes with their original source, but participants usually include Perry Norton and Earl Finkler. If you stumble across an interesting old Perry’s Cantina thread or post deep in one of the forums, feel free to upvote, or add a comment. There is no such thing as a “zombie thread” on Cyburbia. :)

Last edited: