• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Scary Movies

Since it's Halloween week and T.V. programmers are getting the most out of it by replaying horror movies to death (pun intended), I've decided to list the movies that have either scared the beejesus out of me or wrecked havoc on my pysche.

These are in no particular order:

Poltergeist (I only)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (I only)
The Exorcist (I & II)
The Omen (I & II)
Halloween (I only)
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Pyshco

:*( :|

BKM

Cyburbian
Scary (Wierd) Movies

Maybe this goes under Guilty Pleasures (seriously deranged, evil, guilty pleasures), but there is something about Pinhead in the Hellraiser movies that I love: "Oh come now, Kirstie. No more tears. They are such a waste of suffering." Or my favorite, intoned in a ponderous Shakespearian voice: "We have centuires to learn what makes you whimper."

The latest one is fantastic, although Pinhead only makes brief appearances.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Rocky Horror Picture Show has always scared me to death. You know, the whole guys in fishnet stockings thing.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I never really cares for most scary movies. Dunno why, just sappy I guess. I did like the original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis, and the original Freddie movie, but that's about it.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Poltergeist freaked me out when I was a kid, but upon seeing it a few years ago I laughed through most of it.

Other than that I'd say The Shining and Rosemary's Baby.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
Poltergeist freaked me out when I was a kid, but upon seeing it a few years ago I laughed through most of it.
The Fog with Adrienne Barbeau made me laugh too!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: Re: Scary Movies

Michael Stumpf said:

The Sound of Music
Along THOSE lines.....I'd have to say that being forced to sit through that load of crap Britney Spears movie Crossroads did a number on my pysche. :)

Great reading between the lines Michael! :)

Poltergeist also scared the crap out of me when I was a kid - but then again, so did the witch in the Wizard of Oz. All in all, I'm with Bturk - I don't like scary movies. I'm not a fan of gory yuck yuck, and i hate to be scared in movie theaters, i just get so tense from the pent up suspense. My sister and I walked out of Stir of Echos in the first 10 minutes.

However, I did enjoy the first Scream movie, and when I was in middle school, I think I watched The Lost Boys easily 100 times - Jason Patric was so hot! I never wanted to be Jamie Gertz more! AND it featured the two Coreys! sigh. they just don't make movies like that any more. :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
When I was a kid I saw a really cheesy movie about a bigfoot inTexarkana. I think it was called "Legend of Boggy Creek" or something along those lines. Since there were tales of a bigfoot near where we lived, I got really spooked and had to sleep with the light on for months. It must have actually been a really bad movie because I don't recall it ever being shown on t.v.

There was a vampire movie I saw a few years ago that wasn't especially scary but I really liked it; I think it was called "After Dark" or "Near Dark". The vampires were a bunch of biker-types, so it was not your usual vampire movie.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I love the Evil Dead movies... Especially Evil Dead 2. Awesome cinematograpy and funny (in an intentional way) to boot.

Portergeist was scary (at least the clown was) when I was a kid. The only thing that scares me much these days are alien flicks... like Communion and Signs. Mostly because I have had nightmares about those aliens since I was a kid.

i thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was creepy....the remake.......i also like the Shining and Pet Sematary. Stir of Echoes was good too, creepy when you actually think about it, but good. :)

mgk920

Cyburbian
scary_movie_druggie* said:
i thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was creepy....the remake.......i also like the Shining and Pet Sematary. Stir of Echoes was good too, creepy when you actually think about it, but good. :)
I like the ones that leave things to the imagination, such as old Hitchcock flicks.

One other that I like is _Night of the Living Dead_ (1968).

Mike

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I remember watching Evil Dead with a bunch of cousins way back 16 or 18years ago. It was pretty scary then.
Yes...
Now the alien movies are scary. Even I think that the suspense build ups in Alien series and even Signs gets me a little nervous at times.
I remember one scene in Mummy ( one) which made me jump. The girl next to me ( my movie date) kept her cool though and kept munching potato chips or whatever while I almost screamed.
Mars Attacks was not really scary but it was horrifying.
When I was a kid Jaws really scared me to death. For a long time I would be scared of large water bodies through which I would expect sharks to attack me from nowhere.

But havent seen a pure horror flick for sometime now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm getting the impression that Poltergeist is the prevailing champ. yeah, it had me sitting on the edge of my seat when I saw it the first time. :-0

otterpop

Cyburbian
When I was a kid the flying monkey scene in "The Wizard of Oz" scared the crap out of me, and also a little-seen B-movie thriller from the 50s "Dr. Sardonaquist"

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I am a huge fan of scary movies. Nothing freaked me more then The Blair Witch Project. I think because it was pretty much mostly done with a video camera.

Doitnow!! said:
When I was a kid Jaws really scared me to death. For a long time I would be scared of large water bodies through which I would expect sharks to attack me from nowhere.
Agreed! That movie made me afraid of Lake Ontario when I was a kid. Beware those freshwater sharks!

BKM

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Agreed! That movie made me afraid of Lake Ontario when I was a kid. Beware those freshwater sharks!
Jaws was another one of those scary movies that I didn't see until adulthood-and I found it absolutely roll in the aisles hilarious. :-\

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Jacob's Ladder , absolutely, both for the bizarre imagery (those people in the back of the car....) and the implications. The Shining , of course, but the more I watch it, the less scary it gets. The Exorcist is always terrifying, especially the re-released version with the added scenes, and the third one was pretty scary, too. The Serpent and the Rainbow was also pretty scary. Seems like the ones that creep me out the most are the ones that have a basis in fact, or appear to. It's easy enough to dismiss stuff like Freddy and Jason as being macabre fairy tales, but Serpent--the book anyway--was written by a Harvard ethnobotanist, and there are records of exorcisms being performed....
That being said, all of the Alien movies scared the bejeebers out of me too. Had to watch those through a pillow. 8-!