Scary plants

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The Fear of the Year TM is that Giant Hogweed has recently made its way into Michigan.

This noxious invasive species, can cause blindness and acid-like burns if one merely touches the plant. The folks with the DNR have been trying to systematically eradicate it wherever it is found and have to wear hazmat suits conducting its removal. I find it strange that we heard next to nothing about this killer plant until it shows up. New York has been dealing with it for years.

Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Fear of the Year TM is that Giant Hogweed has recently made its way into Michigan.

This noxious invasive species, can cause blindness and acid-like burns if one merely touches the plant. The folks with the DNR have been trying to systematically eradicate it wherever it is found and have to wear hazmat suits conducting its removal. I find it strange that we heard next to nothing about this killer plant until it shows up. New York has been dealing with it for years.
Sounds like super poison ivy.

Makes me think of Audrey II.....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sounds like super poison ivy.

Makes me think of Audrey II.....

Feed me Seymour!

I bet giant hogweed would easily beat out any competition in the Scariest Plant Contest. Kudzu? Sure, it chokes out just about every other plant on earth, but it's harmless to people. Poison ivy? nothing more than a week or two of itchy rash to contend with. Ragweed? watery eyes and runny nose hardly qualifies as a credible threat.

I suppose if there was a plant that shot pellets of poison at passers by it might be scarier, but blindness from merely brushing past the plant? Now that's scary!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Feed me Seymour!

I bet giant hogweed would easily beat out any competition in the Scariest Plant Contest. Kudzu? Sure, it chokes out just about every other plant on earth, but it's harmless to people. Poison ivy? nothing more than a week or two of itchy rash to contend with. Ragweed? watery eyes and runny nose hardly qualifies as a credible threat.

I suppose if there was a plant that shot pellets of poison at passers by it might be scarier, but blindness from merely brushing past the plant? Now that's scary!

Now that is SCARY 8-! :-c :not:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just think of all the code enforcement people who have to walk into these weed filled jungles that surround people's houses. :-c Maister, has the BOSS issued you guys hazmat suits yet?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just think of all the code enforcement people who have to walk into these weed filled jungles that surround people's houses. :-c Maister, has the BOSS issued you guys hazmat suits yet?

Not yet. And you remember who the departmental plant identification expert is, right? So guess who gets to walk point when infiltrating all those jungles:-{....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not yet. And you remember who the departmental plant identification expert is, right? So guess who gets to walk point when infiltrating all those jungles:-{....

Well, I am sure that Ms. Cash will sleep better at night knowing that you are on the case. :lmao:

Big problem:
People who think it's an attractive shrub and encourage its growth.

Somebody "shaped" this giant flowered hogweed into a "centerpiece".
k0srae.jpg

wahday

Cyburbian
I recently became aware of the Lawyer Vine (also called the Wait-a-While Vine) in Australia. They are rainforest plants that hang long tendrils over paths. The tendrils have barbed spines that can trap animals and shred flesh. Not easy to get out of apparently. Especially if you don’t have opposable thumbs.

Queen Anne's Lace and Giant Hogweed are in THE SAME PLANT FAMILY!! :eek:

From that picture it looks like Queen's Anne Lace. I'd probably be the one to pick it 8-!
SW MI Planner, that was a particularly astute observation. It led me to do just a little research......
Conclusion: Giant Hogweed and Queen Anne's Lace are in the same plant family!:-c

The plant family is Apiaceae. (JNA's link helped.)
More disturbing stuff about the Apiaceae:
Many members of the family will be found in the kitchen, e.g., Daucus carota (carrot), Pastinaca sativa (parsnip), Apium graveolens (celery), Carurn (caraway), Anethum (dill), Coriandrum (coriander), Cuminum (cumin), and Pimpinella (anise). A few species are used in medicine, but the most famous non-food member of the family is poison hemlock, Conium maculatum. It was this that was used to execute Socrates.
It does not take much to cause death. Around 1985, three campers in southern Idaho died because they mistook poison hemlock for Queen Anne's lace, which is the same species as the domesticated carrot. Both are white-flowered members of the Apiaceae.
Most members of the Apiaceae are promiscuous. This means that they can be pollinated by almost any critter that can walk over the surface of the inflorescence.
Source:http://herbarium.usu.edu/taxa/apiaceae.htm

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In the news -

Incoming Va. Tech freshman spends 2 nights in VCU burn unit after run-in with giant hogweed plant
https://www.richmond.com/life/healt...cle_fa965971-251f-5cac-b02d-f09ea8bda780.html

HIGHLIGHTS
had suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face and left arm as a result of coming into contact with a plant known as giant hogweed.

all been intentionally planted over the years, often for decorative or ornamental purposes.
Giant hogweed is classified as a Tier 1 noxious weed under Virginia law, which mandates that “no person shall move, transport, deliver, ship, or offer for shipment into or within the commonwealth any noxious weed” without a permit.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It's been confirmed that Giant Hogweed has been discovered in NC. It appears that it is confined to the northwestern mountains of NC.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was out running on some trails through a nature preserve one morning last week and there were signs all along the trail warning of poison ivy in the area. I tripped over a tree root and took a tumble down a hill and rolled and rolled and rolled. Nevermind the little cliff or all the rocks and thorns right there, all I could think was, "Oh my god! I'm going to be rolling through the poison ivy!" I came away with a few cuts and scrapes and a sore wrist but thankfully no evidence of any poison ivy (or I really did roll through a bunch but my previous suspicion of not being affected by it is true).