• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Schedule of Fee's

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Coldwater has a population of 10,500, and is the county seat for a very rural county. Here is what we charge for various requests:

Variance - $30
Site Plan Review - $125 for first 5 acrea; $10 for each acre over 5.
Rezoning - $175
Special Use Permit - $125
Sign Permit - $3 per sign (whoah hoah..break the bank on that one.

In most cases, the fee doesn't even cover cost of the publications, and mailings, much less time. Council is worried about charging 'too much' though. I know this is completely regional, but I'm just curious to see what everyone's municipalities charge for certain requests.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We're in full cost recovery mode

variances, $200
rezoning, $240 ($1000 if PUD)
site plan, $175
prelim plats, $400 + $11 per lot or outlot
final plats $370 + $11 per lot or outlot

In addition, all development apps establish a cash "developers deposit" with the City, usually in the $5,000 to $10,000 range

The base fees get you a fixed # of staff hours devoted to your project. After that, we charge you $65 per hour spent, billable in 15 min increments. We deduct those charges from your cash account, and when it drops below 1/2 its initial balance, you're required to replenish it back to full or your review process grinds to a halt.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't get ours to format well in a post, so they're attached. :)

The review escrow ranges from $1000 to $20,000 depending on the size of the project for review costs associate with our engineering consultant and legal counsel.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Several places make the applicant do some of the legwork: produce the list of neighbors, place the sign, file the plat, etc. I would rather be in control of the whole process. One town I worked split the review and direct costs, billing the applicant after we knew how many notices were mailed. The council bought into it, but the applicant was not willing to pay if the application was denied.

donk

Cyburbian
All of these are in CDN $

Final Subdivison Plans - Approaval for registration - $50 + $10 /lot

Other approval of documents for registration $30

Confirmation of Zoning - no site plan review - $35

Confirmation of Zoning - site plan review - $75

Variances - Residential - $50

Variances - other - $75

Conditional Uses / Temporary Uses - $75

Rezonings - $600

Here's a funny one for you, until recently the cost of a building permit in most areas of teh province was $5. It went up this summer.

We also expect the applicant to provide us, to our satisfaction any studies, design items or other items.

Some items work out to be pure cost recovery (site plan conformity) others are money losers.