• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Scholarships for Minority Planners

Hi all, this community has been extremely helpful throughout the application process!! Now that I have received final financial aid packages, I will have to figure out how to make up around $15,000 in tuition. Does anyone knew of any generous scholarship programs for women and/or minority planners? I feel like now is a bad time to reach out for recommendations, given that the coronavirus has added so much stress to peoples lives...so if anyone is aware of scholarships that don't require recommendations that would be particularly helpful. Thank you!!!

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
Try your local APA chapter - I can think of at least one chapter that has a scholarship program for folks from underrepresented communities.

Best of luck, as this is a profession that could benefit greatly from more diversity among its practitioners.

glutton

Cyburbian
The Charles Abraham award from the APA national is geared specifically towards minorities. However, they tend to award them only to certain schools if you look at past recipients. Not sure if that has changed.

Also, many programs themselves may have a diversity award essay - check if yours has one? I remember ours was at the time of application itself as an optional essay. I think UW has one too if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck!!