• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

School re-use examples

Is anyone aware of examples of a school being converted and re-used for alternative institutional, residential or commercial use? Contact names would be greatly appreciated if available. Thanks.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
We converted one into our recreation center. This happened before I got here so I don't know all of the details.

My mentor and former boss, Brian Currie, presently Town Planner in Falmouth, MA told of conversion of an elementary school in Weymouth MA to elderly housing in the late 80s. Also check out Old School Square in Delray Beach, FL

Planning_Jefe

The City of Huntington West Virginia is working on a redevelopment of a former high school. The building will be used for housing for the elderly, I believe a YMCA, and office space for various social service providers. Try calling Richard Dixon in the City's Department of Development and Planning.

The City of Huntington West Virginia is working on a redevelopment of a former high school. The building will be used for housing for the elderly, I believe a YMCA, and office space for various social service providers. Try calling Richard Dixon in the City's Department of Development and Planning.

Jerry Weitz

Cyburbian
In Roswell, GA, we had a high school that sat vacant for almost 14 years in the center of town. Finally, a developer purchased it and is converting the old school building to lofts and putting in townhouses on the lot, too.

In the mid 1980s, when the high school went vacant, my idea was to use it for a nursing home, but that didn't pan out.

Maroon

Cyburbian
Actually, the building in Anderson, IN burned down before anything was done with it. They just demolished it a few months ago. I believe they saved the arch from the front and are installing it in a park.

Check out Kennedy School in Portland Oregon. Vacant elementary school converted to a McMenamins (mcmenamins.com / kennedyschool.com) brewpub, bed & breakfast, theatre, music venue, etc. A Portland Development Commission project (portlanddev.org). Received Governor's Livability Award and Historic Preservation Award. 100% privately financed (except for historic tax credits). 110% successful.

Plannerific

My firm is working on at least one conversion project of an old High School into an Assisted Living Facility. Contact me and I'll get you to the right person. (402)443-4661 or email me at mstryker@jeo.com

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
I remember Anderson, Indiana converting (or at least discussing converting) the old Anderson High School in housing for seniors. It's been a few years, and I don't know what happened, but look it up.
Good Luck!

John Morgan

Is anyone aware of communities that give tax credits for new businesses that reuse existing VACANT properties for establishing the new businesses? I am deeply concerned about the build up of new commercial properties while existing properties are vacant and available for use. I'd like to draft a county ordinance that gives tax breaks to businesses that move into vacant commercial properties. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I think Ft. Worth, TX has something like that, but it regards historical structures. They have tax abatements and streamlined permitting for such reuses if I remember correctly.

NHPlanner

Staff member
The Society for American City and Regional Planning History awards prizes for best book, article, and thesis in the field--published within the last two years. Prizes (including cash awards) will be presented at the next SACRPH conference, in Philadelphia, November 1-4. For details, contact awards committee chair, Ruth Knack, at rknack@planning.org, or 312-786-6369. Deadline for submission is September 14, 2001.

Charley

Herty School and Florance Street School in Savannah, Georgia. Contact the Metropolitan Planning Commission for contact info (912) 651-1466.

NHPlanner

Staff member
There's another adaptive reuse project in inner city Portland, OR of an old convent/school. Very cool building and property that will be a mix of affordable housing and loft-like dwellings. Mix of public and private financing (including land trusts) and sustainable building practices. Check out architects website at www.andrews-architects.com/rsmt.html For more information on "deconstruction" and reuse of building materials, contact me directly... greenways@altavista.com.

There's another adaptive reuse project in inner city Portland, OR of an old convent/school. Very cool building and property that will be a mix of affordable housing and loft-like dwellings. Mix of public and private financing (including land trusts) and sustainable building practices. Check out architects website at www.andrews-architects.com/rsmt.html For more information on "deconstruction" and reuse of building materials, contact me directly... greenways@altavista.com.

Joshua

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1980s at least a half-dozen unused public schools were recycled into non-profit housing co-operatives in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

A substantial portion of the costs were funded through programs for co-operative housing offered by both Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (despite its name, an agency of the federal government) and the Societe d'Habitation du Quebec (an agency of the Quebec government).

It's been quite awhile so I don't have any contact information, sorry.

You might try posting on the forum d'urbanisme for further details from a Montrealer: the concept in French is "recyclage des ecoles"

blue_

I know that they incorporated an old school building into the design of the new Columbus, OH science museum, COSI.

Jess_2

There is a private school in Montreal called Villa Maria that has sold its property and is constructing condominiums on their property.

There is also a school in Winnipeg called Laura Secord which was converted to a community centre.
The LSSRA, Winnipeg School Division #1, and the Woosley Community Association would be able to tell you more about it.