• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Regulation 🙅‍♀️ Scooter regulations?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
How are your communities handling the scooter-for-rent-left-on-the-sidewalk-or-in-my-front-yard? Lime Scooters is one. Seem to be creeping into suburbia. I need to get an ordinance together in the next few months.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No idea. Not even on our radar at present but I will be eager to hear from others what dealings they've had with this issue.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Scooters for everyone!
Boooooo!!!!!

Okay, scooters for no one!
Boooooo!!!!

Very well, scooters for some, miniature American flags for others!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, the examples I am aware of will establish regulatory limits that are focused on:
-Number of scooters allowed in total
-Number of vendors allowed to operate (usually determined through competitive bidding)
-Requirements that clarify the role of the vendor/municipality in terms of addressing a wide variety of potential issues, most importantly dealing with citizen complaints (e.g. who to call if there is a scooter blocking ADA accessible path)
-Guidelines focused on the geography of where they should be permitted, and how they should be placed

The 1st 2 items are the ones that give me the most heartburn, as I can't really say how objective of an analysis can be conducted at this point in getting to the "right" number. If cities had a much deeper understanding of the available ROW in each of their streets for potential scooter parking, that one may be less of an issue.

the_girl

the public ROW is key! everybody thinks it's their property until it's time to maintain or change it....
Scooters for everyone!
Boooooo!!!!!

Okay, scooters for no one!
Boooooo!!!!

Very well, scooters for some, miniature American flags for others!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, the examples I am aware of will establish regulatory limits that are focused on:
-Number of scooters allowed in total
-Number of vendors allowed to operate (usually determined through competitive bidding)
-Requirements that clarify the role of the vendor/municipality in terms of addressing a wide variety of potential issues, most importantly dealing with citizen complaints (e.g. who to call if there is a scooter blocking ADA accessible path)
-Guidelines focused on the geography of where they should be permitted, and how they should be placed

The 1st 2 items are the ones that give me the most heartburn, as I can't really say how objective of an analysis can be conducted at this point in getting to the "right" number. If cities had a much deeper understanding of the available ROW in each of their streets for potential scooter parking, that one may be less of an issue.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
This has been a huge issue in cities with bike rentals that don't have docking stations too. I seem to remember Arlington, Virginia putting something together to deal with it.