• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Score one for the lesbains!

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Doesn't surprise me. But can avg. fuel economy really have gotten that worse? In earlie times, the average family had a station wagon about as long as a city block. The family truckster also had a big honkin v-8 because the engine made dad more secure despite the fact thathe was driving a station wagon.

Now the family in question has an suv that does not necessarily have v-8 big enough to be measured in cubic inches. (Many people prefer the "fillet-o-fish" cute-sized suv to the big mac ginormous size) Calling this vehicle make dad fell better because now he does not have to drive a minivan.

Seems to me like this should be an even trade. Even so, this is unacceptable. [all-powerfulmightyone]I hereby decree that everyone must drive compact sedans from the late 80's. If you have a boat, you can hitch two together, like horses.[/all-powerfulmighyone]

tsc

Cyburbian
I think that is wrong... the subaru is definately a wagon. BTW.... I know I don't know any lesbians that own subarus outback wagons... but several gay men that do... All the lesbians I know drive toyotas and hondas.

biscuit

Cyburbian
tsc said:
I think that is wrong... the subaru is definately a wagon. BTW.... I know I don't know any lesbians that own subarus outback wagons... but several gay men that do... All the lesbians I know drive toyotas and hondas.
I don't know.... according to Click & Clack these are the top ten gay chick cars .

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rugged Women for a Rugged Alternative Lifestyle

tsc said:

Our local "Friends of Dorothy" are NASCAR Lesbians (TM). Them's a whole different bunch. They wear silk Stevie Nick concert jackets, smoke Pal Mals, drink Bud in the can, and drive Chevy pick-em-ups or Ta'hoos if they made it big. A lone lipstick would never survive in this rugged environment without a "patron."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Our local "Friends of Dorothy" are NASCAR Lesbians (TM).
At the risk of generalizing and/or stereotyping ...

Not quite NASCAR 'round here. I've noticed quite a few short, stocky, grey-haied, bookish female-female couples around here. You see 'em in the stores -- especially Trader Joe's, Wild Oats and the mega-bookstores -- and UU churches, and they never seem to smile or otherwise show emotion. Volvos are the preferred vehicle. Preferred radio is NPR. The best way to describe it is "middle class urban butch."

My old neighborhood in Denver was about as close to ground zero for that city's lesbian community as you could get. Younger, more athletic, and slightly more "lipstick," although quite outdoorsy, crunchy and/or new-agey. Think about the cute girl-next-door with no makeup, two Golden Retrievers or SPCA-issue part-Lab/Golden mutts, and a Subaru Outback with a car stereo tuned to KBCO (an acoustic rock station from Boulder). They mostly seem "mellow," and many seem to talk with the same ironic inflection as Ellen Degeneres; it's almost the lesbian conterpart of the stereotypical gay male sibilant inflection. Same thing in Las Cruces, although I knew some cool hardcore butchies there.