• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Screaming Karen/cat meme generator

Veloise

Cyburbian
Somebody on my Facebook feed posted up some Detroit-centric ones. This was my favorite:

View attachment 47093
Explanation: Kid Rock has this "raised in a trailer park in South Detroit" aesthetic, and in fact Bob Ritchie grew up in a northern Macomb county suburb in a fancy house.
"Although his debut album, entitled "Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast," paints word pictures of a rough-and-tumble lifestyle, Kid Rock, now 45, grew up amid affluence as the son of the presumed sellers of the house, former auto dealer Bill Ritchie ... "

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Explanation: Kid Rock has this "raised in a trailer park in South Detroit" aesthetic, and in fact Bob Ritchie grew up in a northern Macomb county suburb in a fancy house.
"Although his debut album, entitled "Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast," paints word pictures of a rough-and-tumble lifestyle, Kid Rock, now 45, grew up amid affluence as the son of the presumed sellers of the house, former auto dealer Bill Ritchie ... "
But Kid Rock is a grandfather at 45 so that kind of helps his redneck/trailer trash cred.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And the "Romeo" refers to Romeo, MI, where he went to high school. That was the part that had me scratching my head. I forgot it was a place. I knew a guy from Romeo when I lived there; I wonder if he knew Kid Rock or his family.

Oh, and despite the Journey song, there is no place actually called "South Detroit."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Oh, and despite the Journey song, there is no place actually called "South Detroit."
Yep. It's colloquially called "Down River". In my understanding of it's meaning, this is everything south of the City and/or I-94, east of the Airport to the Detroit River and ends at the south approximately where I-275 intersects with I-75.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yep. It's colloquially called "Down River". In my understanding of it's meaning, this is everything south of the City and/or I-94, east of the Airport to the Detroit River and ends at the south approximately where I-275 intersects with I-75.
I have a coworker who drives in from Monroe everyday and a friend who grew up in Toledo. I like to derisively refer to those areas as "Downriver". But then again, I rarely ever leave my little radius of Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills or venture too far west of Orchard Lake Road so I also like to refer to Detroit suburbs like Livonia or Westland or Novi as "Downriver".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a coworker who drives in from Monroe everyday and a friend who grew up in Toledo. I like to derisively refer to those areas as "Downriver". But then again, I rarely ever leave my little radius of Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills or venture too far west of Orchard Lake Road so I also like to refer to Detroit suburbs like Livonia or Westland or Novi as "Downriver".
The acrobatics often performed by Detroit-ish folks when it comes to geographic identity (or non-identity) is the stuff of legend.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The acrobatics often performed by Detroit-ish folks when it comes to geographic identity (or non-identity) is the stuff of legend.
Back home for me, it's people living in the Town of Amherst, who mostly say they live in Eggertsville, Snyder, Williamsville, Getzville, East Amherst, Swormville ...

There's also the Northtowns and Southtowns divide. Stuck in the middle are those in Cheektowaga, Sloan, Depew, and Lancaster. Nobody calls them the "Easttowns". Maybe call the area the "Wschodniegminy", if anyone can pronouce it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There's also the Northtowns and Southtowns divide. Stuck in the middle are those in Cheektowaga, Sloan, Depew, and Lancaster. Nobody calls them the "Easttowns".
Poor Cheektowaga: Not affluent enough to be Northtowns, not enough snow to be Southtowns. ;)

• Sad
Reactions: Dan