• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Seaport District [Broadband Recommended - Lots of Images]

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
I Want To Go There, Now!

...great shots of a marvelously conceived and executed space. Venice?

I really enjoyed these..thanks!

kickert

Amsterdam! I know because I have been to this place several times (I live 50 miles away). It's really nice.

To be honest, it is not a seaport, it was a converted railway-boat transfer port or something like that. It has pretty high density building, with a lot of 2-3 storey buildings stacked together, with a few appartment buildings in between. You are showing two islands, Java Island and KNSM and Borneo Island. There are a lot of differences between these islands. Some have a lot of small buildings built very closely together, while some only have a few big buildings. I like the first type, and if I look at these photographs, so do you :). Maybe you can show some of the maps, if you don't have them, I can look if I can find them somewhere.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
pitchaudio said:
It seems like these faux-Venices would be more popular, what with the charm and reknown of Venice.
They build them in places like Jacksonville, but with setbacks and lawns. It's just suburbia with a boat parked in back.

The alligators come up and eat the family dog.

H

Cyburbian
ablarc said:
They build them in places like Jacksonville, but with setbacks and lawns. It's just suburbia with a boat parked in back.

The alligators come up and eat the family dog.
LOL! HA! :-D

Set backs / minimum lots size truly limits us and does in fact promote sprawl. A peer told be once that, "developers dont cause sprawl, planners cause sprawl".

He had a point.

Great pics, i will have to put Amsterdam on my list of places to MUST SEE. :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Proof that modernism doesn't suck if its urban in scale.

Ablarc - are you fortunate enough to take all these pictures yourself?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Great Pics. I like how the buildings are right on the waterways. The closest thing I've seen to something like this was in Venice, CA. Little canals and bridges and you could see flounder swimming around.

One of these days I must embark on a voyage of some sorts.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seabishop said:
Proof that modernism doesn't suck if its urban in scale.
That's right.

Seabishop said:
Ablarc - are you fortunate enough to take all these pictures yourself?
Got those pics off the Internet (what a way to travel.), Boston and Florida pics I took myself. Travel when I can. With cheap last-minute Internet fares, this can be quite often.

Last time I was in Amsterdam, this stuff didn't exist.

jresta

Cyburbian
I wouldn't really call Amsterdam a faux-Venice as the Dutch have been doing the canal thing for what, 600 years?

As far as "planners causing sprawl" . . . I'd say that zoning causes sprawl. If it's that simple that planners cause sprawl it should be just as easy for us to chuck what's doing it and get on with the the unsprawl.

But really, those pictures show what planners in the US can and should be doing with codes based on form and design.