• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Joshua

Does anyone know of any measures or studies or policies related to
the public health aspects of Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome (SADS)?

For those of you who haven't heard of SADS, it's a feeling of lethargy and depression sufffered by an estimated 3% of the North American population around the time of the fall equinox -- caused by the reduction of daylight hours. Among the most effective treatments is exposure to full-spectrum, high intensity lighting.

I wondered if anyone has looked into the idea of enhancing lighting of public interior spaces in cities north of the 45 latitude.

Thanks

jmf

Cyburbian
There was some work done with SAD and the mining town of Fermont, Quebec. I think a number of the consultants who worked on this were out of Montreal but I am not sure which companies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A friend of mine in college had severe SAD every year. He was prescribed a special light box that he kept on when he was alone. There was a big government warning sticker on the box :

"WARNING: Use of this device causes psychotrophic effect. Use only under medical supervision"

We turned it on once when he wasnt around, and within 30 mintes we were all acting like we were on uppers -- all giddy and bouncing off the walls. Sure, put them in public places!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm all for it. Although I like the northern climate, I really do like getting home when it is still light out.