• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Second Jobs

Do you work a second job?

• Yes, (wo)man cannot live by planning alone.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Nope.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Not yet, but I need to get a second job!

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Been there, done that. Not doing that anymore.

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
do people out there have second jobs, either to supplement thier income or to take a shot at something else they like doing? i started one recently that combines a bit of both worlds...tiring but fulfilling (and less money woes)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
"Professional Staff" are prohibited from holding second jobs by our personnel policy. I don't want a second job either: this one keeps me plenty busy* and I need time with my family, especially the little Gedunkers (ages 4 and 7).

*Four day week with three night meetings. I'll be close to 50 hours in four days :-\

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would lilke to do some extra work on the side. Maybe some consulting or something that I can do from home. I would like to get my student loans paid off and it would be nice to have some additional income to do that quickly. I wouldn't be able to have a second job with set hours because there are some nights where I come home and I just want to chill out. So anything would have to have pretty flexible hours.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have had second jobs in the past... usually planning related though. I used to check maps, do editing, and stuff like that for a consultant in Sacramento on the side when I was working for Davis. I only reviewed plans for cities that weren't adjacent to Davis and kept the two jobs totally separate. It was really great because I got to see what other cities were doing and I got paid pretty well (also, I received my one and only Christmas bonus that year... pretty sweet).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I wouldn't consider a formal second job, but I have thought about ways of turning my hobbies into a source of income. I'd really like to make custom scale models (trains mainly) for people.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
If I just stopped sleeping, I might have time for a second job.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I waited tables for almost two years after I became a planner. I had something like 3 days off in that time. Thankfully, a salary study was completed and the results implemented so I could afford not to work a second job. About every other semester I do teach a planning class at the local university.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I’ve seriously considered getting a second job, something where I could work a couple of nights a week, because I really have nothing to do in the evenings other than the occasional meetings with community groups. Luckily I’m in a position where having to work two jobs is not a necessity for living a comfortable (albeit simple) life, but the extra income would allow me to do more of the extra things I enjoy. Perhaps I start looking for something after all of this wedding stuff is finished…. I just DO NOT want to go back to waiting tables

Seabishop

Cyburbian
About a year and a half ago I was desperate and was accepted to be seasonal part-time help at Lord and Taylor's (fancy-pants department store) for extra money. When I factored in money I would need to spend on suits and parking for this 2 month job it wasn't worth accepting. I mean buying a suit for this crummy part-time job when I don't ever need one at my real job? We figured if my wife just worked a little more at her much better paying part time job we'd be better off - and some key bills went down or were paid off since then. If I found a second job that was really worth it, I'd do it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This winter, I am thinking about getting a second job teaching snowboarding and skiing on the weekends at one of the local hills...

But that is not much like a job, it is more like having fun, hanging out with little kids, and playing in the snow!

I think that allot of us also volunteer our time (without pay) and these commitments can take up as much time, if not more, than a second job would.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planner Groupie said:
Then when would you have time to play X-Box? :)
For those that don't live with me......this comes from me not being able to fall asleep on Tuesday night, and spending most of the night playing MVP Baseball 2004 on my X-Box until 5 AM.....

boiker

Cyburbian
I've considered a second job so that I can eradicate my debt much quicker, studnet, cc, and the like.

Like Gedunker, I've got two lil' Boiker's running around (4 and 15 mos.) that I'd mcuh rather be around than a second job.

But then again, I could really use the Best Buy employee discount ;-)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I answered yes, although I don't work to many hours and still pull down an extra 5 figures a year.

What do I mean. I am a landlord. It require about 80 hrs. of my time a year, lets see that works out to about $250 / hours 8-! , not to bad :)

Without that I'd be living outta my car or in my apt. definately not in the house I'm in now. And I would not be having as much fun.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I had to get a second job when I first started working as a planner because I needed the extra money for my wedding. Thankfully, my dad said he would chip in some money, so I could quit my 2nd job.

In my current life status, I wouldn't mind finding a parttime planning job, but they just don't seem to be out there.

H

Cyburbian
Yes. I have my "day job" where I am paid to be a planner and work on issues asigned to me, then I have a (un-paid) night job where I work on planning issues that interest me. In the last years I have researched issues, published articles, spoken at meetings and conferences, etc, etc about the issues I am interested in that are separate from my "day planner job". Basically, I am a total and complete planner dork as my wife calls me :)

I sometimes work all night on these side projects, so I guess in a sense, I do consider myself to have two jobs. :)

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I once moonlighted as a deejay for a country and western radio station. It only added about $90 a month to my income (not as bad in 1979 as it would be now), but it was lots of fun. Any Patsy Montana fans out there?

These days I have discovered that actually staying fit and eating healthy (we are try to eat all whole foods) is almost a full time job.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I have two jobs, but I don't work in the planning field...yet. So I'm at my law firm during the day and a couple nights out of the week I work at Pottery Barn selling expensive stuff that most people don't really need, (i.e. giant clothes pins that can be used in the home office), but buy anyway (myself included, well, not the giant clothes pin, but I buy stuff there). Once I start grad school, however, I'll have to quit the Barn.

SGB

Cyburbian
tsc said:
commuting is my second job....
Me too, to the tune of over 11.5 hours per week.

But, I've got much less traffic to deal with than TSC. :)

H

Cyburbian
I AM WAY OFF TOPIC (sorry) :-S

SGB said:
Me too, to the tune of over 11.5 hours per week.
So every month you lose over a regular work week!!! Think of all the things that could be done in this time!!

Although, I am leaning towards the feeling that a small commute allows for some decompression time so you feel alert when you get to work and relaxed when you get home. This opinion is different than just a year ago when I felt that only the noncommute was a good commute.

I guess Arnold and the boys summed it up right on their 80's Tv show... It take different strokes to move the world yes it does, it takes different dtrokes to move the world :-D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I think that allot of us also volunteer our time (without pay) and these commitments can take up as much time, if not more, than a second job would.
My second job was the result of volunteer work I was doing. They started to have difficulty relying on volunteer staff to fill critical shifts so they had to restructure and hired people including former volunteers. I love it...it's totally unlike my planner/economic development job.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I used to work a second job early in my career, because the pay was so lousy and the student loans were so high. Now one job is enough to live on comfortably. I will still consult on the side if there is no conflict of interest, but have gotten away from that a bit to begin writing a book.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
... a couple nights out of the week I work at Pottery Barn selling expensive stuff that most people don't really need, (i.e. giant clothes pins that can be used in the home office), but buy anyway (myself included, well, not the giant clothes pin, but I buy stuff there).
Ugh. Retail sucks. I worked full-time at a department store for a whole year after college, making something like $3.65 an hour selling overpriced merchandise. I never had any money, and had to deal with smarty-pants managers and grumpy customers every day. Never again!

Tom R

Cyburbian
jobs

Let me see, at while keeping down a past Planning job, I worked Saturdays at a newspaper loading the Sunday inserts, worked a survey type telemarketing job and later delivered pizzas. All mainly because the ex said we needed MORE $. Foolish you say? Well, you're right. I wouldn't have one job now, if I could get used to the lifestyle of living under an off ramp and roasting squirrels for supper.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When I was young I wanted to be independantly wealthy. While I still think it would be nice to be so, I find the cost of getting there to be more than I'm willing to pay (short of winning the lottery :-D )

JNL

Cyburbian
No second job here but I often do survey work in the evenings on top of my regular hours. Don't do it for the money though, it's more to help keep projects moving along. And then there was my recent work with police at driver alcohol breath-testing checkpoints - that was for fun ;-)

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL said:
And then there was my recent work with police at driver alcohol breath-testing checkpoints - that was for fun ;-)
Try volunteering for alcohol screening training. Nothing like free drinks in the morning courtesy of local law enforcement.

ebeech121

Cyburbian
I have a PRN Admin Assistant position at a nursing home (Crap job!) and just now was hired as a cashier at Publix.

I loooooove being a broke college student without any kind of professional experience.

:D

Ugh.

After graduating from grad school, Rob and I were not getting paid enough at our professional planning jobs to pay rent, Sallie Mae and eat. So I worked part time at Books a Million, and he at Blockbuster. Four jobs, two people, one car. It really sucked at the time, but we look back at it now rather fondly. Especially the Five Free video rentals per week, which really came in handy because we didn't have any friends at the time, and if we did, we just didn't have the energy to be social.

Then we got smart, moved back to NY and almost doubled our salaries.:D

Mtn Woman

Cyburbian
Second job - Pick up work

Well, this is the best thread I could find for this question...

I hold a Master's in Planning & do have AICP after my name. I currently work a full-time job that has very definite hours. I have some evening & weekend time available for other work. I'm thinking about putting my resume out to private firms that are fully staffed but would need a hand at community visioning sessions, or need facilitators only occasionally.

I guess the best description would be "temping" as a planner.

What thinks the Great Throbbing Brain that is Cyburbia??
^o)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mtn Woman said:
Well, this is the best thread I could find for this question...

I hold a Master's in Planning & do have AICP after my name. I currently work a full-time job that has very definite hours. I have some evening & weekend time available for other work. I'm thinking about putting my resume out to private firms that are fully staffed but would need a hand at community visioning sessions, or need facilitators only occasionally.

I guess the best description would be "temping" as a planner.

What thinks the Great Throbbing Brain that is Cyburbia??
^o)
Just be careful about not creating a conflict of interest.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Considering the ex has stopped paying child support because he has no job, i am thinking about standing on the "other" side of the bar for a few months for some extra cash....sad thing is, tending bar often pays as much in one night as I make here in an entire 8 hour work day.....still seeing if there are some other alternatives since it would take away yet one more night from the boys...with work meetings and all, I think the most I could do is bartend on the weekend the ex has the boys...

Mtn Woman

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Just be careful about not creating a conflict of interest.
My "regular job" has taken a turn from planning to grant writing for a municipal agency some distance away so minimal conflicts possible here.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
boiker said:
UPdate: I've been working two jobs since 11/04. suxors.
Yes, how is the rubber band cube assembly job going?

otterpop

Cyburbian
Here is something I have been toying with for a while. Right before my son was born and for a little while after, I delivered newspapers, but I hated the daily grind of getting up early seven days a week. I have student loans and credit card to pay off. Just got back from a wonderful float on the Smith River. My raft - Patches - is long over due for retirement. I want a new raft, rowing frame, etc. ($2,500-3,500). So a second job would be helpful.

On the other hand, it is now Spring in Montana. There is so much nice stuff to do outside. My son will only be five years old once. And I am genetically predisposed to sloth.

So, if I do break down and do the second job thing, it wouldn't be until after Labor Day.

cch

Cyburbian
My husband and I make enough to get by, pay the student loans, pay our mortgage off in 1/3 of the time we agreed to, go out to eat a couple times a week, keep our crappy vehicles that are paid off, buy my daughter enough clearance rack clothes for each season (as she grows super fast), and slowly but surely make little home improvements. But we'd like to actually build up some savings and make big home improvements, buy matching furniture, a more reliable car, and all that wonderful stuff. So, we've looked into ways to make some extra money, but haven't gotten anything off the ground yet. Some ideas we have include becoming ebay power-sellers focused on a specific product, buying a cabin up north and renting it out, and I occassionally make quilts and I've found websites of others who have turned it into an online business. I could never have an actual second job, cause it would take too much time away from my family, but we are determined to do something that would only require a little work in the evenings (after she's in bed) and on weekends. And it has to be something fun.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
otterpop said:
So a second job would be helpful.

On the other hand, it is now Spring in Montana. There is so much nice stuff to do outside. My son will only be five years old once. And I am genetically predisposed to sloth.

So, if I do break down and do the second job thing, it wouldn't be until after Labor Day.
Do so at the Helena Walmart (as a greeter), your boss will be so embarassed he will give you a huge raise to quit.

natski

Cyburbian
I work a second job at the supermarket- but am looking to change to something else.
I am also planning to keep the 2nd job once i finish uni- to help save for a travel adventure and fund my expensive lifestyle!

noottamevas

Cyburbian
I do some freelance drafting. Also have my editorial column. I end up having to file self-employment at tax time.:r:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work at McDonald's on the weekend as a shift manager due to my paltry wage as an intern at the county planning department. Hopefully that gig will be up at summer's end when I start grad school.

Kim

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
:-$ NO second job; NO wife :( ; NO ex either :) ; NO Children :-| ; NO credit card balance :) .

Audrey

JNA said:
:-$ NO second job; NO wife :( ; NO ex either :) ; NO Children :-| ; NO credit card balance :) .
Well, I'd ask you to marry me, but I see you are a lapsed ski and beach bum (and I think that's an oximoron)