• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Seen on the way to work yesterday

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
some people should not be able to breed-end of story

wtf is that? a moving traffic cone?

Doh that thing is bad!!!

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I saw something very similar once. It was a cadilac-type car and it had iradescent paint on it. From one angle the car was green and as you moved around it, it slowly turned to yellow. Pretty cool.

I think people should be able to paint their cars any color they want. It beats the monotony of the same old colors all the time. Besides, it's a CAR. That orange is probably a "safe" color too....It's pretty easy to spot.

Do you know there is actually a committe of people that get together to discuss what colors are going to be the "style" for that year? These colors are then applied for use in cars, clothing, carpets, appliances, camping gear.... I thought that was crazy when I heard about it.

BKM

Cyburbian
It could be worse

At least it wasn't an orange Escalade or Lincoln Navigator. Bling bling!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
At my first job, some of the pool cars, and all of the Works Dept. vans were painted bright orange.

The "official" Regional colours were orange and blue - yuck!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Maybe that unfortunate car belongs to a Clemson alum.

Every year for the Southeastern Wildlife Expo in Charleston, SC, Volvo does a promotion where a local artist paints a Cross-Country wagon in animal print. I've seen them in orange tigre strips, zebra, and my favorite, lepeord print. People then bid on and purchase the vehicles as a fund raiser. Pretty freakin' cool.

BKM

Cyburbian
ecofem: You know why the Tennessee team is familiarly called "The Vols"?

Because "Volunteer" is a three-syllable word, and the typical Tennessee fan can't handle them thar long words!!!

Just Kidding!

Seriously, though, a local "entrepeneur"-he runs a "modelling school," drives a bright orange mid-80s Corvette.

donk

Cyburbian
Considering i can barely see the driver's head above the seat in the second picture it must be a "blue hair". Having the car painted orange will make it easier to see them as they do four lane drifts without signalling and try to cut you off.

The other reason it must be a "blue hair" is that no one else would spend that much on a north american built car.

The colour that changes depending on the viewpont and light conditions is refered to as "harlequin".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
donk said:
Considering i can barely see the driver's head above the seat in the second picture it must be a "blue hair".
Driving by, it was a young guy who was sitting gangsta' lean ... low as possible, with one arm barely draped over the steering wheel, as if to say "I'm not driving a hooptie."

Go to rural Kansas, and you'll see big Buicks everywhere. Bluehairs love 'em!

BKM

Cyburbian
Hey! My mom, who can be better described as a more dignified "silver hair," drives a big Buick.

Isn't it sad that American manufacturers have so lost the "cool" factor in traditional cars. I can't think of a single American car that inspires me. Hopefully the new retro Mustang show car will be a worthwhile production car in a couple of years.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I've told my boys that their first cars will be huge chunks of American steel. Cadi, Buick, or Olds. Late 70's vintage.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Dan said:
Go to rural Kansas, and you'll see big Buicks everywhere. Bluehairs love 'em!
That's because Kansas is flat, hence the parking lots are flat. Ever see one of those bluehairs park on one of those lots with an 8% cross grade, almost have the door snap off when they open it, and then not be able to muscle it closed once they get out?

And developers wonder, aloud, why they have a max x-slope on parking areas...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
giff57 said:
I've told my boys that their first cars will be huge chunks of American steel. Cadi, Buick, or Olds. Late 70's vintage.
Same here. My oldest said he wanted a Jeep... Yeah right, he'd be rolling down the side of some obscure Cascadian mountain in short order. It's a '68 Delta 88 for him:

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Mastiff said:
Same here. My oldest said he wanted a Jeep... Yeah right, he'd be rolling down the side of some obscure Cascadian mountain in short order. It's a '68 Delta 88 for him:
That's a beautiful car! I want one!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I kind of like it. Bling bling can be cool if its not over done.

donk

Cyburbian
This is the car I got to drive when I lived with my poarent's and did not have my own car.

1988 Chev Caprice Classic.

As for the bling bling, I have seen a few of the Mary Kay Pink caddy's around, I think I'd rather have the orange one.

Maybe this is what the really good Orange Julius Dealers get as a sales incentive?

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
does the orange color get you 5% off on your premium?

and you should have seen the rusted blackk lebaron my best friend had in high school...plexiglass back and rear windows, only the front doors worked (it was a 4 door), and the only way into the trunk was via the back seat, and the trunk wasn't designed to be accessed via the back seat...what a POS...