• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Segway Article (Back to Original Name!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Damn, and I thought I was going to have one work day without a Segway post....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well since Budgie will start riding his Segway on the sidewalks I guess there's nothing wrong with me going besides him on a bike in the sidewalk....I'm sure they won't give me a ticket...
I'm also sure that I wouldn't bother any pedestrian.
And finally, I guess I could escape any ticket by arguing that I was traveling slower than a Segway! :D ;)

Oh.. Tranplanner, be so kind to close this thread.. There's nothing left to argue... and there's no point on leaving it open but for it to be filled with nonsensical arguing... :D

Repo Man

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Well since Budgie will start riding his Segway on the sidewalks I guess there's nothing wrong with me going besides him on a bike in the sidewalk....I'm sure they won't give me a ticket...
I'm also sure that I wouldn't bother any pedestrian.
And finally, I guess I could escape any ticket by arguing that I was traveling slower than a Segway! :D ;)

Oh.. Tranplanner, be so kind to close this thread.. There's nothing left to argue... and there's no point on leaving it open but for it to be filled with nonsensical arguing... :D

I do believe that the Segway thread has become the de facto "Never Ending Thread"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:

I do believe that the Segway thread has become the de facto "Never Ending Thread"

Except there are no reports of serious posts in the Never Ending Thread

el Guapo

Capitalist
Whoo hoo - Let's have more Segway chat!

Should Segways have to be licensed and insured?
Should a test be required to get a Segway Driver’s License?
Should a vision or reaction test be a part of that?
Should they be required to yield to all pedestrians?
Can I expect to see these things in the malls and in public buildings?
Where exactly do I need to apply blunt force trauma to cause the most damage to the system?
Is it morally wrong to buy the $289.99 Chinese knock off version -available in 2005?
Do you know of anyone considering jousting from atop Segways? I'd like that.
Could they put "stairmaster" pedals on it so you can get a good aerobic work out on your way to the Pizza Hut buffet?

IMHO - Segways belong on the road. They do not belong on the sidewalk. I have to share the world with enough self-involved people who are not watching where they are going. Why motorize more of them? As an additional aside; I, and I am sure others like me, plan to body check the first Segway pilot that cuts us off, runs over our toes, or generally makes an ass of themselves as we saunter upon the pedestrian plain. Violence against Segway Drivers will be a 20/20 news feature by 2006.

Budgie - If I am wrong about all this I will come back on here and admit it. ;)

Runner

Cyburbian
I just don't understand why someone would want to continue the push to allow SHT on sidewalks. They belong with bicycles (ON THE STREET / BIKE PATH).
The continued push is just going to turn people against the SHT being operated anywhere. I'm about ready to start pushing that they be outlawed for use in any public area outside of SHT parks (like skate parks)! Take your SHT and play on it at the local vert ramp...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Alright, alright - I've (finally) come to the conclusion that this thread has degenerated and has started to outlive its usefulness.

Budgie - I look forward to hearing about your segway training and how your new method of travel is working for you, wherever you decide to ride it.

We'll all just have to wait and see whether the segway lives up to the hype, or becomes a passing fad.

Until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.