• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Segway - What do you think now?

How has your opinion of the Segway changed?

• I liked it from the start, and still do.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I was skeptical at first but tend to like what I see.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • It is neither good nor bad. It has some utility, but may not be necessary.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I may have been interested at first, but tend not to see a point to it now.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • It is a joke; a toy at best. It will never amount to much.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There sure was a lot of hype about "the machine that will change the way we design cities." After it came out, though, people tended to be pretty dismissive. But what do you think now?

jresta

Cyburbian
i've seen a few around but for $5000 i'd much rather have a Vespa.
I think they'll remain irrelevant until the price comes down a lot.

has anyone seen the $1000 knockoff that doesn't have a gyroscope? it's on 4 wheels instead of 2.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
How much more utility will it give me over using a bike? Not much I would think, but I have yet to try one.

With the Segway, I don't have to pedal, but I can buy a simple single-speed Schwinn for about $100 and get excerise at the same time.

Maintenance costs for a bike are super low. What are the real or projected maintenance costs for a Segway?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I can think of a lot better things to spend my money on, but if people want to buy overpriced Segs, who am I to criticize. People buy stupid stuff everyday. The Segway will not change anything for now, but the technology will undoubtably be very useful in other products in the future.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I admit to laughing when it came out, but I see the Segway (or its next generation) being used in some roles in the future. Like Repo suggests, the technology may have more adaptability to other uses. Yes, my opinion of it has improved.

boiker

Cyburbian
mine too, cardinal. I laughed and couldn't believe the device. It really looked as if it had no place. I still feel that it has a limited market for the general intra-city commuter.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
:-\ There are a few in Arlington and people tend to hate them and the drivers/riders or whatever you wish to call them.

I think its not quite on the mark yet but will be useful in the future. Id have someones head looked at if they spent 5,000 for one of those things.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I voted "It is neither good nor bad. It has some utility, but may not be necessary. "

I have not laid eyes or hands on one in person, nor do I know anyone off of cyburbia who has so all I can base my vote on is what I have learned from Budgie and the Segway threads and the media.

Once the price goes down and the become more available their utility will become more refined. In my climate you would only be able to use one outside 3-4 months a year. Also given the potholes on our streets and lack of dipdowns where the sidewalks meet the road using a Segway here is not realistic.

I think in the south they will be more pratical than in the north. There is a place for them I'm sure but I'm on the fence when it comes to their full utility and whether they will "change the world".

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Has anyone watched the Fox Show "Arrested Development?" I love that show, and I really get a kick out of Jobe, the magician brother who rides around on the Segway. I think that is the first instance of the segway in TV/Movies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm looking in my hat. There, I see Mormon Missonaries on Segways covering the land! They pass on the good words of the Book of Mormon while they recharge from the interested person who is receving the word from them. The boys remain perspiration free and still cover more ground in less time. There is a use. What are these rocks doing in my hat?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I still do not think that they will change the way that people get around. It has had some practical influences, but overall, I don't see a day when everyone has one.

I don't think that I have ever seen anyone on one in person.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
mendelman said:
How much more utility will it give me over using a bike? Not much I would think, but I have yet to try one.

With the Segway, I don't have to pedal, but I can buy a simple single-speed Schwinn for about $100 and get excerise at the same time.

Maintenance costs for a bike are super low. What are the real or projected maintenance costs for a Segway?
I agree with Mendelman!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Has anyone watched the Fox Show "Arrested Development?" I love that show, and I really get a kick out of Jobe, the magician brother who rides around on the Segway. I think that is the first instance of the segway in TV/Movies.
I love that show, but it conflicts with the Office on BBC America and Alias. Tough decisions. I wonder if Segway paid to be on the show?