• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Segway

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We've got about 15cm (6 inches) of snow falling right now, mixing with freezing rain. Sidewalks and streets haven't been plowed yet. Wonder how Ginger would handle that?

And no, I don't think the answer is separate, weather protected infrastructure to support the Segway.

rrk

I see the posibility of an alliance between bicyclists and segway enthusiasts. Segway's problem is going to be its use on sidewalks because of Pedestrian-segway collisions and the fact that segway's speed will be limited by frequent red-light crossings. They might be more acceptable if its speed on sidewalks was limited to say 5 mph and lanes shared with non-pedestrian/non-automobile traffic was provided for express travel.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Segway vs Automobile Public Cost

I wonder what the differential in infrastructure maintenance costs between automobile use versus segway use would be? I imagine an army of Segways would do less damage to infrastructure than 10 automobiles.

Until public officials have experienced mobility on a Segway, I'm not sure we can assess what the potential conflicts with traditional walkers would be and to what extent is it a real rather than preceived problem. Even modest Segway use for short trips could alleviate parking problems.

Here's another motivation to become ADA compliant.

Top Bottom