• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Segways Being Recalled

H

Cyburbian
As best said by Nelson from the Simpson’s show, “ha ha!”. :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, the answer is very simple: Have them manufactured by a Japanese company.

The problem was American manufacturing. I'm sure if they found some off-shore manufacturing source, the problems will be solved.

They are probably the Pinto of the self-propelled "revolutionary" scooter segment :) ,

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As much as I like to poke fun at the Segway, I am sorry to see this. It is always difficult to introduce a new product and this won't help. Doesn't it seem a bit silly? C'mon, what product doesnt have problems when the batteries wear down?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Boy that sure sucks... I wonder if Budgie has ever fallen off from it (or if he's just hidding the event)

One would think that such flaws wouldn't have passed the beta testing and all, but then again, how many patches do you have to install for Window$ in order for it to work properly and be safe enough?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Cars have recalls all the time often with much more severe injuries. You only fall off the segway if you ignore the low battery signal.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
As much as I like to poke fun at the Segway, I am sorry to see this. It is always difficult to introduce a new product and this won't help. Doesn't it seem a bit silly? C'mon, what product doesnt have problems when the batteries wear down?
I'm with you, except on the last part. When my CD player loses power, I'm not worried about breaking an arm...and while I'm not claiming it was primary, wasn't one of the big "sells" of Segway that it could improve mobility for folks that might be less mobile otherwise (elderly, etc.)?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It was to be expected that something would malfunction with something like this that has never been manufactured before. Look at cars, they have been making them for over 100 years and there are still recalls on almost every make and model.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Boy that sure sucks... I wonder if Budgie has ever fallen off from it (or if he's just hidding the event)
LOL. Chet, check for any bruises when you meet him. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'll psudo-Budgie this one for him. Screw the recall. Send every registered owner a orange sticker for the dash that says '"If you ignore the low-batt warning you're gonna fall on your ass or head."

This is fear of a lawsuit and nothing more. Stupid Americans

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Actually if there weren't any idiots, such warnings would be pointless. But given the fact that humankind has a vast collection of morons, such warnings and other warnings even more stupid are necesary in order to prevent them from inflicting themselves any physical and/or psychological harm. Recalling the segways because people may fall off because of low battery is as brilliant as recalling planes because they crash when out of fuel.

Jeff

Cyburbian
That sucks. I'm secretly hoping they are successful, just not on sidewalks.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Sorry !!!

I missed this thread, so I thought I'd let you know what's going on, as if you care. The recall is to upgrade the software to cause early warnings when the battery is getting low. The three people who have had problems probably deserved to have an emergency shutdown. They had the low battery warning and kept riding aggressively (pushing the speed limiter, going up hills and coming to abrupt stops. I've had emergency shutdown twice, after I purposely tried to runt he battery down and I did not have an incident.

The only incident I've had was when I tried to go from wet grass to a sidewalk. I hit the sidewalk head on and lost traction. The machine shut down immediately and I landed on my heat after pulling a bush over the handlebars.

I haven't decided whether to get the upgrade or not. In order to get an upgrade all I have to do is call Segway and they will send a Contact One service man by. I think the companies name is Contact One, I might be wrong. Segway has contracted with this company to provide door to door service coast to coast.

The I series machine's price dropped this week to $4,500 which signals that the early adopters have been skimmed off the top and that the p series machine will be out this month. The p series is a smaller and less expensive model.

I suspect that a software upgrade was going to happen regardless of mishaps and that Contact One is collecting performance data for analysis of the machines performance. The computer in the machine records hundreds of performance measures, which are saved for retrieval. At the SegwayFest in Chicago, they retrieved data after telling participants to write their name in the parking lot with their Segways. They could print out your course, so you could see your name. This may not sound impressive, but imagine if your car could retrace every inch of it's movement for the past year.

I was gliding near city market in Kansas City and a young lady stopped me to say that her mother has been riding her Segway to work in the Brookside neighborhood for the past couple weeks. I heard that there are at least 30 owners in Kansas City and I met a couple who are trying to open a dealership. There are dealerships or rentals businesses in at least 10 states and in Canada and France. The next 4.5 years might be very interesting.