• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Selecting a school - more considerations

Ayer

I read some of the other threads about selecting a school and found quite an overall agreement that eventually the school you studied in does not really matter. I understand that selecting a school should be affected less by reputation and more by where you want to work (preferebly near the school) and the emphasis you want (theory or practice). If the school doesn't really matter than I guess there should be some other considerations: money, fun and location. What school would you recommend that costs a dime, you enjoy every minute of it, and is located in a fun and living place?

And what about studying abroad? Spain? Italy? South America?

EX-planner

Easy answer: Decide where you'd like to work as a planner (though my personal recommendation is to avoid the NW USA), then look in a college guide and find out which colleges in that area offer planning degrees, then from those, choose the one with the lowest tuition. It's that simple, really. Don't spend any more money than you have to.