• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Self indulgent treats

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
Fess up folks, what have you unceremoniously splurged on yourself?

To date my biggest was in 1995 buying a new convertible while my wife was in the grocery store. She was not amused but warmed up to it after a few nice summer days.

My current obsession was seen today. And I have a large - ok very sizeable - accrued benefit payout coming shortly when I leave my employer. If this baby is still on the market when the check is cut, SHE'S MINE! BEWHAAAHAAAHAAAA! (Still doesnt beat the convertible though)



(okay its not this exact car but this is an identical I found a pic of on the net except mine has the original 'chrome dome' VW hubcaps)
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
I've recently gone on a self indugence binge. Nothing as extravagant as a new vehicle, although I'd like a new bike for next year.

Here is what i've acquired lately, just for the sake of aquiring

Vonnegut Silkscreen


A complete set of where the "wild things are" toys.



An original page of artwork from one of my favourite comics (Hate).

I've also been scouring ebay and have almost won a few auctions for odd items of self indulgence.(art work, retro bike parts, first edition books)
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
I have a different bike for every day of the week. Thats about it.

Oh...one year I spent my whole years FD pay ($1 a call paid once at years end) on a 35" TV with surround sound and DVD.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
a custom made garmets
250 for a trip to the salon to get my hair done

give me time ill thing of more
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Does a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon count? Hey, my insurance company just sent me my adjusted premium - it went down by six bucks!?
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,945
Points
40
X-Box Sports games. Currently hooked on NCAA Football 2004.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,908
Points
57
Cardinal said:
Does a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon count?
Station wagons? Definitely!!!

On-topic:
Mine is the yellow-cake Hostess cupcakes. I knwo they are complete junk, but I like them.:-$
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Cardinal said:
Does a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon count? Hey, my insurance company just sent me my adjusted premium - it went down by six bucks!?
IT WENT DOWN. That's amazing I didn't think bills ever go down. Use the extra cash and indulge in one more frosty beer per month.

This Spring I'll be getting either a road bike or a sea kayak. Still haven't decided.

That will be my Self Indultent Treat / OH crap I'm almost thirty years old treat to myself.
 

H

Cyburbian
Messages
2,850
Points
24
I splurge on travel. I go out of town about two weekends a month. I generally try and travel light and cheap, but the $ adds up because I do it so often.

:-D
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
JoshD said:
IT WENT DOWN. That's amazing I didn't think bills ever go down. Use the extra cash and indulge in one more frosty beer per month.

This Spring I'll be getting either a road bike or a sea kayak. Still haven't decided.

That will be my Self Indultent Treat / OH crap I'm almost thirty years old treat to myself.
Yeah - I opened the envelope expecting to have to write a check for a few hundred, and instead found a check for six dollars. Maybe wagons are safer? My last car was a 1999 Subaru SUS (sedan).
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
I have been almost psychotically self indulgent recently, but with good reason.

1. I haven't worked a 7 hour work day in at least two weeks.
2. Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls for dessert after dinner every night. (ok - maybe the 35 pound weight gain *isn't* entirely pregnancy related.)
3. Monthly massages or pedicures at the spa for the last 9 months.
4. Unrestricted Amazon.com shopping sprees on books and music, but in $25 increments, so I get the free shipping, and because I am addicted to "track your packages" and love having more than one in the mail, even though the UPS guy drives my dogs insane when he delivers bi-weekly.

Fortunately, I have a very sympathetic and generous husband who has been extremely tolerant of my recent behavior, and I might admit to taking a *tiny* bit of advantage of the situation. :)
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
26
Downtown said:

4. Unrestricted Amazon.com shopping sprees on books and music, but in $25 increments, so I get the free shipping, and because I am addicted to "track your packages" and love having more than one in the mail, even though the UPS guy drives my dogs insane when he delivers bi-weekly.
its thrilling, i know!!! Online shopping is one of my main indulgences, sierra trading post, the sports authority, amazon, campmor...
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
I indulge myself by going to my basement and getting a decade-old bottle of wine to compliment a great meal....that gives me an idea for this evening.
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
Well, the fact that I've turned my apartment into a architecture book library/Acoma pottery gallery is pretty self indulgent :(.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
RichmondJake said:
I indulge myself by going to my basement and getting a decade-old bottle of wine to compliment a great meal....that gives me an idea for this evening.
[pretentious] Are you planning to taste the Nouveaus Beaujolais? I am going to a desert wine tasting this evening, and then a tasting of the Nouveaus tomorrow night. I'll have to remember to bring the Reidel tasting set. [/pretentious]
 

The Irish One

Member
Messages
2,267
Points
25
I'mgoing to buy some vacation property in Mendocino or Humboldt. Just for a tent set up or trailer for now. It wont have hook ups and will be under 20,000.
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
It used to be travel. I haven't done anything indulgent for myself recently though... other than buy the wicked cool house. I wish I had the money, as I have a long list of things I'd like to do.
 

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Messages
3,838
Points
25
Cherry Garcia. I rarely buy anything for myself anymore so buying a pair of pants is a big treat. Although, eating lunch out just about everyday is an indulgence in its own right.
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,487
Points
41
I'm going to take a day off from the kitchen remodel and get a table with Mrs. Gedunker and friends in the Sky Terrace at Churchill Downs the Friday after Thanksgiving. I'll drink okay beer, very good bourbon, smoke an outrageous cigar and let it all ride on the "four horse in the fourth race". If I win I'll be getting another W-2 from Churchill this year (wins over $600 US automatically required) and treating everyone to a great dinner :-D

And if I lose, I'll go home having had a great day :-\
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,917
Points
36
Well, I guess it depends on who you listen to. Personally, I don't feel I've indulged myself lately (too much money going into the house). But...we did get slate tiles, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, IKEA cabinets and a subway tile backsplash for the kitchen. And it looks awesome!
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,487
Points
41
Tranplanner said:
Well, I guess it depends on who you listen to. Personally, I don't feel I've indulged myself lately (too much money going into the house). But...we did get slate tiles, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, IKEA cabinets and a subway tile backsplash for the kitchen. And it looks awesome!
Sounds cool, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Right now I'm rushing to level the floor and finish part of the drywall so the cabinets can be installed on Monday. The template will be made for the solid surface countertop on Dec. 8 and installed (unless they want to face the very formidable wrath of Mrs. Gedunker) on Dec. 18. All the while I'll continue the largest do-it-yourself project I will ever undertake. Excepting fmy trip to Churchill, of course ;-)
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
ok im a pig every nov 22 i go buy a case of Nouveau and have a little bit of wine fun.

I love going to French resturants eating my Brie and drinking my red while talking about art.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
eeek my internal calender is off-the wine was released today!


oh god im headed down to the bistro!!!
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
PlannerGirl said:
eeek my internal calender is off-the wine was released today!


oh god im headed down to the bistro!!!
Yes, tonight is the night you can get drunk on young wine and still be considered classy.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
There is a lovely French place within walking distance to my house-tonight I shall stumble home from there im quite sure!
 

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Messages
2,779
Points
24
Chet, I used to own a VW thing when I was in high school. It was a 1974 Thing with both hard and soft tops. Loved it. You can completely take it apart. One of my all time favorite vehicles. Mine had the pontoon air cooling things rather than just the grate like the 1973 versions.

My indulgences are chocolate and new books. I am too poor for any real treats.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
PlannerGirl said:
ok im a pig every nov 22 i go buy a case of Nouveau and have a little bit of wine fun.

I love going to French resturants eating my Brie and drinking my red while talking about art.
In my opinion, the excitement associated with the release of the nouveaus is the most overrated aspect of the wine industry. Fortunately, it's almost soley related to the French wine producers with almost nothing comparable domestically.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
PlannerGirl said:
its just FUN
and we all need FUN
Got it....that's all that counts!!! It has to be fun because it's not a serious varietal. Enjoy yourself.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Re: It's no Thing

El Feo said:
but I want this car BAD. Sure beats a minivan.

It's in Wisconsin - the first $7000 takes it, but I don't know if I would trust it (or me) all the way back to MA.
Sweet....

Who says Beaujolais is not a serious varietal? Granted, the Nouveaus are unsubstantial, but there are several fine Beaujolais.
 

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Messages
2,779
Points
24
Re: It's no Thing

El Feo said:
but I want this car BAD. Sure beats a minivan.

It's in Wisconsin - the first $7000 takes it, but I don't know if I would trust it (or me) all the way back to MA.
That is a very sweet vehicle. I'd max out a credit card to get that and ship it back to my homested.
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
26
Tranplanner said:
Well, I guess it depends on who you listen to. Personally, I don't feel I've indulged myself lately (too much money going into the house). But...we did get slate tiles, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, IKEA cabinets and a subway tile backsplash for the kitchen. And it looks awesome!
I bet it looks awesome post pics!


Wo, you're copying us, but but but we started our remodel last year, and the cabinets (white)will be here in two weeks.and havent decided on granite or corian counterrops. We're thinking of dark granite, w/wild veins of pearl or green. OUr kithcen is small so we think we can swing the higher end materials. We are DYI and sooooo slow!

Subway tile? teeny tiny tile squares? You used IKEA? Does it seem sturdy enough? It is a great price and very good looking stuff. We were seriously considering them, but we dreaded the idea of treks into chicagoland via 1-94 to work out the plans.
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,917
Points
36
Jen said:
I bet it looks awesome post pics!

Wo, you're copying us, but but but we started our remodel last year, and the cabinets (white)will be here in two weeks.and havent decided on granite or corian counterrops. We're thinking of dark granite, w/wild veins of pearl or green. OUr kithcen is small so we think we can swing the higher end materials. We are DYI and sooooo slow!

Subway tile? teeny tiny tile squares? You used IKEA? Does it seem sturdy enough? It is a great price and very good looking stuff. We were seriously considering them, but we dreaded the idea of treks into chicagoland via 1-94 to work out the plans.
I'm planning on posting pics once we finish - we still have to install the backsplash. We also have to do the trim and baseboards. Subway tiles are 3"x6" rectangular tiles - I think you're thinking of mosaic tiles, which is what was in the kitchen originally. We did everything ourselves, except the countertop. The IKEA cabinets are actually quite sturdy (unlike most of their furniture). We strengthened them a bit to take the weight of the granite.

I'm hoping things will be done by Christmas...
 

Queen B

Cyburbian
Messages
3,178
Points
25
RichmondJake said:
I indulge myself by going to my basement and getting a decade-old bottle of wine to compliment a great meal....that gives me an idea for this evening.
Hey you bring the wine, I will grab some fine steaks and we'll do dinner.

Then when I make that purchase of that much needed Jaccuzzi I have been looking at, it will be a party!
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,549
Points
25
I don't indulge much, if I do my weaknesses are electronics and nice restaurants. Last year in the midst of x-mas shopping I bought an in-dash mp3 player. This year I am looking at mp3 players (ipod,etc), a DVD burner, and a laptop.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
Queen B said:
Hey you bring the wine, I will grab some fine steaks and we'll do dinner.

Then when I make that purchase of that much needed Jaccuzzi I have been looking at, it will be a party!
Let me know when the water's hot. I've got my eye on a couple of my cabernet's that need to be quaffed soon: a '92 Jordan and an '94 Berenger Knight's Valley.
 
Top