• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Semi-regular meal events

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Some folks I know have pizza delivered every Friday evening. And of course you're all familiar with 'Taco Tuesday'.

We started out a couple years ago with a sort of casually observed 'salad for dinner' bi-weekly event. This was later amended to become a more general and inclusive 'vegetarian dinner' bi-weekly event.

Does anyone else have any semi-regularly observed meal traditions? Pancakes Saturday? Fish Friday?

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife must have pizza on Friday. We make our own - not delivered. This Friday was my daughter's birthday so she got to pick the meal. Steak and french fries! Now the party with all the friends spending the night and all that was Saturday. She had already promised burgers. She comes to me early Saturday and asks if I would mind if she makes pizza for us and burger for the kids. Gotta have that weekly pizza fix.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm from Buffalo, NY, but live in Fort Worth, TX, now. There is a local bar run by a guy from Buffalo, and on Mondays they do half off all their pizzas, so Mondays are pizza night.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
While it's not tied to a specific day, there's usually 2 days a week with fish of some kind. Other than that, no regular food events.

Growing up, we had leftovers on Fridays. Saturday was eat-out night. Sunday morning was donuts with milk or coffee. While we didn't do meatless Mondays or Fish Fridays, we did family game night twice a month and no TV during dinner rules.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We tried... but the meals needed to be flexible to accommodate schedule changes. I try to do Taco Tuesdays and there was a time that I went to a wing restaurant on Wednesdays for 1/2 off wings... but that was years ago.

A biohacker friend of mine does Fasting Fridays. He started during lent and is still going.

Gedunker

Moderating
Sunday morning featured Italian hard rolls from Natale's bakery. A dozen rolls, crisp on the outside and light and airy inside. We'd slice a roll, butter it up, and put it in the broiler to melt the butter and very lightly toast the bread. A cup of coffee and The (Newark) Star-Ledger and you had nirvana right there in central Jersey.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I went to college with someone that grew up in a household that had a strict weekly meal routine; he was the only person that loved the freshman campus meal offerings because he finally had some variety in food, even if the quality was not phenomenal.

My wife and I have a few easy staples that we make somewhat frequently, but we have no created any day-specific food meal events.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We definitely have some patterns;

Sunday breakfast - generally an egg-and-cheese bagel sammich for me
Sunday dinner - I'll grill the protein unless the temps are closing in on freezing or if there's lighting in the vicinity
Monday dinner - usually out, and generally Mexican every second or third week
Thursday dinner - a lot of times this is centered around leftovers from Sunday
Friday dinner - usually out, and involving beer
Saturday lunch - dining out while running errands at least every other week

Planit

Cyburbian
Friday nights are generally pizza nights at home

Monday lunch special is a steak sandwich at a downtown place

kjel

Super Moderator
Sunday morning featured Italian hard rolls from Natale's bakery. A dozen rolls, crisp on the outside and light and airy inside. We'd slice a roll, butter it up, and put it in the broiler to melt the butter and very lightly toast the bread. A cup of coffee and The (Newark) Star-Ledger and you had nirvana right there in central Jersey.
Natale's is still baking :)

Calandra's is our neighborhood Italian bakery.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
sorry - meant pasta day lol
That's hilarious!

The only food thing that's static in my house is that we have fend-for-yourself Sunday dinners. It was how my house functioned growing up and I brought it with me into adulthood. Sometimes I have a wonderful meal; sometimes I have a bowl of cereal. The only rule is that you do not need to cook for anyone but yourself.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I used to get dinner from Bojangles every Friday night. That lasted about a month and a half before they recognized me and knew my order right away. I realized that it wasn't a good thing, and stopped doing that.

The only real set in stone meals I have is the first Monday of the month at the fire department. Sometimes we eat other days, but that's the for sure meal night.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That lasted about a month and a half before they recognized me and knew my order right away.
Many of the servers at Buffalo Bros. recognize my phone number, so when I call on Mondays, they sometimes say, "Hi Paul. The usual, large pepperoni?"

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I used to get dinner from Bojangles every Friday night. That lasted about a month and a half before they recognized me and knew my order right away. I realized that it wasn't a good thing, and stopped doing that.

The only real set in stone meals I have is the first Monday of the month at the fire department. Sometimes we eat other days, but that's the for sure meal night.
Monday night at my house is typically chick-fil-a for the wife and kid and I'll get a sandwich from Jersey Mike's for myself. They know I am going to order a number 9 despite the number 8 being the featured sub of the day. They also know that I want it with the bacon that it is supposed to be on it. Evidently, people don't always want the bacon that comes on a club. I thought it was just my Jersey Mike's but I get asked at other locations too.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'll get a sandwich from Jersey Mike's for myself. They know I am going to order a number 9 despite the number 8 being the featured sub of the day. They also know that I want it with the bacon that it is supposed to be on it.
The only sammich I ever get from Jersey Mike's is a #9 with the bacon.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Evidently, people don't always want the bacon that comes on a club.
But I mean doesn't the bacon make it a club? Without the bacon, the #9 just becomes a roast beef and turkey sub. I thought "club" automatically meant bacon.

Coincidentally, I'll probably have a roast beef and turkey sandwich for lunch today. It will not be a club, because I have no bacon.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
But I mean doesn't the bacon make it a club? Without the bacon, the #9 just becomes a roast beef and turkey sub. I thought "club" automatically meant bacon.

Coincidentally, I'll probably have a roast beef and turkey sandwich for lunch today. It will not be a club, because I have no bacon.
I guess that's why they ask because its the only sandwich they offer with turkey and roast beef.