• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Senior, Junior and Trip

Is naming your child a junior worth it?

• Yes! Tradition is important.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No. What a pain in the ass.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Depends. Timothy Taylor Tinkletop the Third is just so wrong.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Other, elucidated below.

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the news is in and we're having a BOY! Now for the naming anxiety. Darling husband would like a Robert Stephen the Third. Me? Not so sure about this. On one hand, if it is important to Rob, then I'm not going to get in the way of his "legacy". However, in practical, everyday life, I'm just envisioning what a pain in the ass this will be. I DO NOT want to call the baby "Bob". And won't it be too confusing to have two Robs in the house? And Big Rob has already refused to call the baby "Robert". and his family can not even fathom calling the baby "Stephen" or "Steve" and has already insisted they're call him "Little Bobby". gag.

Sometimes single motherhood really doesn't seem like such a bad option. Kidding!

biscuit

Cyburbian
My little sister is now pregnant (man it makes me feel old) and her in-laws can't understand why she refuses to have a Jr. and name it after her husband if it's a boy. She's trying to explain that we just haven't done that in my family. There are a lot of traditional names and mothers maiden names for middle names, but no Jr's.

If it's a tradition in your husbands family than fine. Just at all cost...Do not allow the in-laws to call him Little Bobby, he'll be scarred for life. My 2-cents: Go with Tripp if he's to be a Robert Jr. Very southern, very cool.

Oh, and congratulations!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I voted "no" but thats TOTALLY just my opinion from naming 2 of my own. I figured my hypothetical son would appreciate his own name. I also thought that part of the fun of creating a brand new person was giving him/her their own name. My brother's a jr and there was always confusion. He and my dad get eachother's mail etc. We ended up with girls anyway.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dear Abby would tell you this is between you and Rob, and not his family.

I'm not into juniors, altho' many of the males in my family have their dad's name as their middle name; makes for continuity, not confusion.

ecofem

Cyburbian
Could somebody explain the "Tripp" phenomenon in the South? How is that derived from a "Junior".

Forgive me for my ignorance.... I'm not from around these here parts.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
K

I have my Dad's name and I like it.

My two cents. You could call him Robby?

This is what my wife and I did when we had twin boys 2 years ago:

We named them each after their grandfather but call them by their Middle Name.

George William-Will (yeah, George W. please hold the comments)

Robert Finley--Finn

Get the credit for the naming but also get to call them what you want.

Boys are great, I am happy for you.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm a junior with a really unique name (and it's a long way from "Pete"). Actually, my grandfather shares the first name, too. "Juniors" and "Tripps" all depend on the parents' ability to give them good nicknames as well as the family name.

My father has politely urged me to name a son after us (I have one son already who escaped the family name). But part of me says I don't wish the name -- and the taunts -- on anyone.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah for finding out it's a boy :) Gotta love technology! How far along are you again?

Dear Abby would tell you this is between you and Rob, and not his family
Amen sister! We've already decided not to tell anyone our name choices, because we've already heard less than favorable comments about what we *should* name it.

GKMO - I LOVE Fin!

Yeah, and I'm not understanding the Trip thing either??

As far as juniors - I don't have a preference either way. I don't dislike them, but we aren't considering it. Plus I agree that it's fun to come up with a new name for a new baby. ((actually, it hasn't been fun because we can't come up with anything)).

pete-rock

Cyburbian
OOPS!!!

I'm sorry, I forgot to congratulate you on your good fortune! Best of luck, Downtown.

ecofem said:
Could somebody explain the "Tripp" phenomenon in the South? How is that derived from a "Junior".

My best guess is that Tripp is short for triple. I've also heard the name Trey applied to kids with the III after their names.

Otis

Cyburbian
I was a Junior (changed my name at age 38). A practical (and annoying) consideration is that over the course of filling out the many thousands of forms you get in life, I found exactly two that had a place for a suffix. Both were from the great Commonwealth of Virginia, where tradition is a way of life.

I would get mail with the suffix in all possible places on the address. There always was confusion between my dad and me on mail, telephone calls, and everything else. I won't go into the implications of the fact that my father, the original Richard Sr., is called Dick. That would make me , um, little . . .

I vote give the kid his own identity.

Otis

Cyburbian
That should have said age 38 not 3. And no little face, either.

El Feo

Cyburbian
ecofem said:

I think Trip is for III, not Jr. At least in my experience.

H

Cyburbian
I (and my 2 brothers) have all family names, including middle, and it gives me a sense of pride.

This doesn’t make it “right or wrong” to do either, but I like it for myself.

And congratulations, however you name him. !

H

Cyburbian
By the way:

I intend to name my second child “Mulligan”.;)

Do you all think this will give the eldest a complex?

(I have no kids, yet).

carlomarx

Cyburbian
And then

...And then there's the unfortunate event of naming your child after your parent, resulting in the nickname "Skip."

For those not from round these here parts, it's because the name skipped a generation. Ugh.

I was named for a grandfather on each side. First name of one, middle name of the other. It works out quite well for me.

Sincerely,

Hugh Jasse

PS: Friday's almost over! Who's still at work?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
First, congratulations! (although an equal congratulations would have been warranted in the less controversial alternative of the baby being a girl). Are you sure the hubby doesn't just like the idea of being called "Big" Rob?

I took the cop-out choice in the poll. I don't think that I would name my kid after me. On the other hand, there are some common family names that I would consider. Nicholas is one. Maybe I would give him my name as a middle name. If my wife let me. Of course, I am not married, so she won't.

My father, his father and grandfather, my brother, and his son all have the same name. It was always a pain in the a$$ trying to figure out which one anybody wanted to talk to. My uncle Steve named his son Steve. His father (George) eliminated the confusion by calling him Mickey. The name stuck.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
same name have been carried across generations in my family
female name - great aunt, mom, sister, niece
male - father, brother, nephew
nothing wrong with biblical & irish names.
nothing wrong with switching 1st names for middle.

Jen

Cyburbian
A boy! Aww so sweet, why not name him after Daddy? Lil Robby or Bert or call him Stephen, just pronounce it Stefan.

And is SW Mi Planner dropping hints that she too has "killed the rabbit"?

Remember that cheesy song "SHe's having my baby" by Mac Davis or somebody. Its in my head right now!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Another option

You could use the first two initials as the name. In other words, baby Robert Stephen becomes known as "R.S."

First, thanks for the well wishes. Second, yeah - it would have just been so much easier if we were having a girl. Third - Third generations are nicknamed Tripp because they're the "triple". Fourth - Looks like we're going with the III, and I'm just past the point of caring what anyone calls him, except I am putting my foot down against Little Bobby. I figure if I get his daycare lady to call him what *I* want, as well as his pre-school teachers, then I've won half the battle, and that's what will stick to him. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Hey congratulations!

I have 3 sisters and we all have unique first names but second names from relatives - so there are no other Jennifers in my family, but my middle name, Naomi, is after my Irish great-grandmother. I think it's a good compromise.

I think you've got it sussed with getting teachers to call him what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.