• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Sensationalist T.V. Reports on Government

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
These guys keep airing sensational reports on "local government gone bad". Lately, we've had the report on government workers taking work cars home (when assigned to do so; of course, they fail to mention that), government workers cashing out their unused vacation time when they leave/retire, and now this one, on how many local county commissioners returned calls. Altho' I usually think our county's commissioners are a bunch of dweebs, at least they all made the grade on this one.

Anybody else have a local news outlet that thrives on this kind of stuff?

http://www.wftv.com/news/3333048/detail.html

P.S. I could have titled this one Why FL is going to hell (infinity) but that would have made it too easy, don't you think?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I was just thinking of that today!

Local television newscasts in Cleveland are pretty bad. I think you see more Cleveland news on the Akron stations than on broadcasts originating from the Home of Rock and Roll.

"Gotcha!" reports seem to have been a fixture for months, where cameramen stalk government workers, and them approch them at an inopportune monment. They'll show film of city and county cars going through restaurant drive-thru windows, or dig up the criminal records of criminal records of an employee. "Mister Building Inspector, we have film of you spending an hour lounging in a local restaurant between 1:00 and 2:00. Why are you goofing off on the taxpayer's dime?" Apparently, timeshifting lunch is something government workers aren't allowed to do.

A gotcha! report a few months ago targeted the expense account of an African-American Cleveland School District employee several months ago. The response ... accusations that it was a racially motivated attack, and defense of the employee by several prominent leaders of the "black community." All the government workers now featured as the subject of gotcha! reports are white. I think it's so the news director doesn't have to address accusations of racism.

What's going to happen whe we get home from the 2008 APA conference in Las Vegas? Will hidden cameras from home follow us around? "On Monday, you spent an hour at the craps tables instead of attending a seminar. How do you justify playing craps at taxpayer expense?"

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
A certain local TV station in this fair market has a Sunday night anchor at 11:00 pm that seems to have a certain fascination with:

1) A local man riding a motorcycle is seriously wounded when his bike hits a car at "X" intersection;
2) A man riding his motorcycle in Florida is killed when his ...
3) A memorial today to fallen police officers was held in Washington, DC
4) An AIDS candlelight vigil today in "X" saw mothers and families ...
5) A prisoner in "X" prison hanged himself. The prisoner commited "suicide" . . . .
6) The body was found of an 11-yr old stabbed to death ...
7)A police officer in Pennsylvania discovered a victim that was stabbed to death, the victim of a murder where three others were killed, gunned down by a man ...
8) Remains were found today in Minnesota of a young woman . . .
9) More news today of abuse of prisoners in military prisons in Iraq ...
10) Families of the terrorist attacks on Sept'r 11 say that "images of the attacks ... are graphic, too vivid, with bodies falling from the upper stories[/B ]. . .
11) Billy Graham was hospitalized after falling today at his home...
12) A ship fire ...
13) Jo-Jo the gorrilla is headng back to the Lincoln Park Zoo ...
14) The Lotto South drawing, worth $12,000,000 ...
15) Hoosier lottery officals acknowledge that competition ...
16) Kentucky lottery numbers are ...
17) commercial break

Mrs. Gedunker and I are amazed that a market in the largest 20 in the nation leads the Sunday night with this, week after week after week...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
......Mrs. Gedunker and I are amazed that a market in the largest 20 in the nation leads the Sunday night with this, week after week after week...

Because news Like:

BREAKING NEWS: Today, an apple fell from the tree. Eve, the great (x) grandaughter of the very first EVE, picked it up from under that tree, where the temperature was a perfect 69 degrees in the shade, again today, and braught that apple to its designated destruction point for safe keeping.

SPORTS: Today in EDEN, Adam 1 pitched a perfect game as usual against Adam's 12 - 22. Adam's 2-11 did not bother to take the field in all 9 innnings.

WEATHER: Fair and mild today with a high of 72 and a low of 69. Winds light 1-2 miles an hour with no pollen or mold in site! Similar forecast for rest of week!

:-D

Bad news sells. :(

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We have a local media wacko *cough*markbelling*cough* that is known for some similar, although minor, things like calling govertment dept. managers on Friday afternoons to see if anyone is in. (never mind if they've already put in a 55-60 hr week).

Unfortunately, when our real media professionals report on government wrongs, they are usually true. The corruption in city and county politics has been a huge embarrassment to milwaukee lately. (and a few burbs)

biscuit

Cyburbian
The local news media here has a very contentious relationship with those of us in government. Whether it’s a controversial zoning change or whether or a supposed bone headed comment by a city council person. One of the latest “You paid for it” ‘exposes’ on a certain channel has been on my city’s employee educational reimbursement policy. You see, like many private companies, the city will pay for half of your tuition should you decide to further your education. The reporter made it sound like employees were doing their best to bilk good honest tax payers of their hard earned money. Hopefully this want cause a public outcry and they stop offering the program. How can I afford to go back and get my beauty school degree without a public subsidy. It's not like I'm made of money....geez ;-)

The most ridiculous story concerning government employees here stemmed from a recent, tragic event where an 11 year old girl fell to her death from a sub standard and illegally built back porch. The media was swarming all over the place the next day demanding why the Bureau of Building Inspection had been so callous and lax in their duties to allow this to happen. It didn’t seem to matter to the reporters that the porch had been built without a permit. It’s not like they have the man power to randomly inspect the back yards of every house in the city for bad porch construction. The reports were blatantly exploitive of that little girl’s death.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Of all of the places that I have lived, I thought Central Florida had the worst sensationalistic journalism, particularly the tv station in question. For me, it really turns me off to local news except for the weather and sports scores.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Of all of the places that I have lived, I thought Central Florida had the worst sensationalistic journalism, particularly the tv station in question. For me, it really turns me off to local news except for the weather and sports scores.

Well, now that you're livin' the Yankee life, not a worry, right?

TN, you could have been the source of many a great government scandal down here (Planner does the right thing! News at 11!!")

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Well, now that you're livin' the Yankee life, not a worry, right?

TN, you could have been the source of many a great government scandal down here (Planner does the right thing! News at 11!!")

I won't even comment on the first part.

Ah, they would have spun it that there was a crazy planner instead of a planner who was trying to do right. And that would have been for both of us.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
There is almost always a good story in following expense accounts, so be careful. A good reporter, however, will realize that we are good sources, and won't bother with the trivial, which might tick us off. APA in Las Vagas? no way.