• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sept. Planning Mag--Viewpoint

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I just picked up my September Planning Mag and read viewpoint. It should enrage conservatives and enthrall liberals. But does it have a place in Planning magazine?

I believe of course that it does not and it is just one more case of Planning Magazine and the APA of advancing its left leaning agenda.

Not to mention the arguement used is the worst agrument for using race in affirmative actions decisions.

I guess maybe I am just fiesty today after a week of fighting with local governments.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Could you cut and paste so those of us who are non APA compliant in our dues paying can read?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
I just picked up my September Planning Mag
September Issue?

I haven't seen anything since the July Issue, which is the most recent up on the APA website.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
I forgot my stupid password on the apa website so someone please help.
I just went to the APA website....the mose recent issue is July.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mike D. said:
Could you cut and paste so those of us who are non APA compliant in our dues paying can read?
Please don't. Reposting the entire article is a copyright infringement. Post excerpts if you have to.

Maroon

Cyburbian
I'm guessing that Beaner and Mendelman have a pretty good fix on my thoughts on DK's commentary.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I do not even have the August issue yet. You have the September issue? Must be an APA (big brother) insider.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, since APA board and staff are "government" planners (not entirely, of course), from major metroplitan areas, you can expect a lefty slant.

Just like I can predict the editorial policy of the Northern California Home Builders Association magazine. :)

But, you're right. A national professional magazine shouldn't be blantantly partisan.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
11 issues a year

Yeah, APA found that the August issue always had very little in advertising revenue, so to cut costs, they combined the August & September issues, making Planning an 11 issues a year magazine.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: 11 issues a year

Joe Iliff said:
Yeah, APA found that the August issue always had very little in advertising revenue, so to cut costs, they combined the August & September issues, making Planning an 11 issues a year magazine.
Yes, but they did it without raising our dues! ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
I just read the article - Wowsers - big heaping lumps of White Liberal Guilt and Nanny State reasoning distilled into one page.

Douglas Kelbaugh - Put your actions behind your words and resign your dean's position and hand it over to the minority candidate of your choice. According to you, that is the "moral and economic debt" you owe, so pay it already. Also clean out your 401 & university pension - the UNCF could use the money. Or you could take it down to the reservation and put it all on #23 in roulette. ;)

Dear Paul Farmer
Because I believe differently than some, I'm called a hypocritical constitutional bottom-feeder according to Planning Magazine's Viewpoint. Thanks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
gkmo62u said:
Isnt it your membership #, found on the mailing label?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Maroon said:
I'm guessing that Beaner and Mendelman have a pretty good fix on my thoughts on DK's commentary.
University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning Dean Doug Kelbaugh has a viewpoint article in Planning magazine?! Can't wait to see it!

In the meantime, I might consider taking a trip to Italy with Mr. Kelbaugh this October...

http://alumni.umich.edu/travel/itin/trip130.php

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I can only assume Minority Students will go on the trip for free?

Chet, I have my id number, just forgot he password.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Re: Re: 11 issues a year

Originally posted by Joe Iliff

Yes, but they did it without raising our dues!
I wasn't implying an opinion either way about it. I think it sounds like a reasonable cost cutting measure, so I don't necessarily have a problem with it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK, got my issue today. Did the viewpoint belong in Planning magazine? My take - "maybe". To the extent that the issue impacts the academics of Michigan's MUP program, it does. To the extent that we need a lesson about diversity, it does not.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
OK, got my issue today. Did the viewpoint belong in Planning magazine? My take - "maybe". To the extent that the issue impacts the academics of Michigan's MUP program, it does. To the extent that we need a lesson about diversity, it does not.
I'm more or less in agreement. I would prefer that Planning, a magazine about planning, published by an organization of planning professionals, stick to subjects related to planning. I don't wholly disagree with the author's calling to address issues of minority achievement and access to resources, but this is the wrong forum for that discussion.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Guap should be strongly encouraged to write the counterpoint for next month's publication

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
gkmo62u said:
Can some one PM me the article text? I don't have the issue and I am very curious to see what my Dean has written.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I finally read the article. Just a quick response.

gkmo62u said:
I believe of course that it does not and it is just one more case of Planning Magazine and the APA of advancing its left leaning agenda.
In response to this post, particularly "...just one more case of... the APA of advancing its left leaning agenda," I would like to point out that it is just a "Viewpoint" article. Mr. Kelbaugh isn't even on the board of the APA. I don't see how the publication of his opinion piece is an indication of a left-leaning agenda for the APA. The point of the article, in my opinion, once the reader has finished swimming through the polemic, is "To work effectively with all sectors of the community, planning students of all colors need to learn in an academic environment with a diverse student body (and faculty.)" I don't see that as a leftist agenda - I see it as a call to improve the breath and depth of planning education.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Alan, you can spin it anyway you want, but that's not the point of Kelbaughs piece, its only an afterthought.

It would be more appropriate if the author's premise was as you suggest by his quote from the end of the piece. But its not his premise.

The Viewpoint is a defense of Affirmative Action plain and simple.

Perhaps I should wait and see if Planning runs a "Viewpoint" that criticizes Affirmative Action and that discrimination of any kind has no place in our society.

Alan, do you see no condescending liberal white guilt in the piece?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The editrial was clearly written with the intent of defending the discriminatory policies of the University in regard to giving preferential treatment to some minorities. The connection to planning or even to the planning department was a weak one at best. It had very little relevence to the planning profession and did not belong in the magazine.

I am not opposed to liberal or conservative viewpoints being published in Planning (although a point-counterpoint approach would be appealing). I do think that the topic should be germain to our field. Had this editorial, for example, addressed the concept of diversity as it influences planning, I might have found it acceptible. As it is, it missed the mark.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Cardinal. That was what my point was. If the point was diversity, equity whatever, in the Planning Profession that would be fine--though i still wouldn't agree with it--I just wouldn't carp about it.

I also ,week in an week out , think its a crummy magazine with awful organization, graphics etc....but that has been discussed in these forums before.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
gkmo62u said:
Alan, do you see no condescending liberal white guilt in the piece?
I'm not sure. What exactly is "condescending liberal white guilt"? I do ask in all earnestness - I have no idea what that term means.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Alan,
If I may take a shot at answering your question? I believe it is a derisive term that refers to a particularly liberal, in the American political context, way of looking at all minorities as people that need whitey's assistance in one form or another to rise. This is based on a history of all white people throughout history being bad and somehow unable to escape their racist tendencies. It is a secular humanist burnt offering.

It implies that without whitey paying back the downtrodden for his race’s entire racist existence through a variety of programs that destroy the family structure and truly do more overall harm than good, there is no way that the minorities can ever hope to rise above their circumstances, that are, after all, wholly and completely whitey’s fault.

It doesn’t matter that you may be Asian Indian and have arrived in this country only yesterday. Whitey feels bad and wants to help you, with my tax money of course. It is about equalization of outcomes. It is about redistribution of wealth. It is about being progressive, and that means good and enlightened. Without all of their magnanimousness the liberal do gooders would feel bad. After all, it is about how you feel in this country. It is not your personal actions towards your fellow human beings that count.

It is a modern version of a similar Rudyard Kipling’s term 'White Man's Burden."

Now, discuss this assignment amongst yourselves, please.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Ok, I get all that, but where do the liberal media and the Jewish conspiracy come in again?

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:
Ok, I get all that, but where do the liberal media and the Jewish conspiracy come in again?
I wouldn't know anything about a "Jewish conspiracy" but I could talk for hours about the left leanings of the mainstream media. 83% of reporters are registered democrats, not counting the other 16 percent that are greenies or communists. :) Nice attempt at a smear, sonny. Better luck next time.