• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

History 🏺 September 11th - 10 Years Later

Bubba

Cyburbian
^^^This. I'm on final approach to Muhammad Ali Louisville International (yes it's really called that, though the code is SDF, for Standiford Field, which is what I call it). SDF is world headquarters for UPS air services, so we have lots and lots of jets overhead. When they ordered the ground stop and all the planes shut down, it was eerily quiet here, too. I'll admit to a little irrational fear when jets did start flying again.

I lived four miles from Dobbins ARB at the time - fighters were scrambling all night on the 11th and into the morning of the 12th.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to bump this thread as we approach 20 years tomorrow morning.

How did 9/11 change things for you? Where were you that morning? How do you think that the world changed?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I am going to bump this thread as we approach 20 years tomorrow morning.

How did 9/11 change things for you? Where were you that morning? How do you think that the world changed?
I'm not going to blame Biden, Trump, or any of their predecessors for what happened in Afghanistan in the previous weeks. I'll blame Osama Bin Ladin, Al Queda, and Taliban 1.0.

The world is always changing. I try to think about what the world would be like if 9/11 didn't happen. Lives that wouldn't have been lost. A trillion dollars (or more) that wouldn't have been wasted. Maybe less divisiveness.

Thinking of an alternate history, this is where things get weird. I think without 9/11, Bush Jr. would have been a one-term president. John Kerry wins the 2004 election, the Great Recession hits, and the electorate dumps him for John McCain in 2008. McCain serves one term (the presence of Sarah Palin undermined his administration), and it's Barack Obama in 2012. Obama beats Palin in 2016 -- her cult following is strong, but not nearly like that of Trump in our timeline -- and Joe Biden handily beats Ted Cruz in 2020.

This is considering there's no huge terrorist attack on American soil to begin with. If 9/11 didn't happen, there would have been either more time for intelligence gathering to warn of an imminent attack, or there would be a different attack; let's say a suicide truck bomber in front of the New York Stock Exchange, or a plane crash into the White House. If it's the latter, the outcome would probably be the same as with 9-11; TSA, more fortification, Patriot Act, war in Afghanistan, etc.

EsquireHare

Cyburbian

This concert was held on September 10, 2001 at Madison Square Garden.

That was the last night of the decade-long economic prosperity and political stability of 1991-2001, also known as the '90s in pop culture.

The terror attacks were the reason millennials have 90s nostalgia and Gen Zs have 90s anemoia.

The world was never the same again after that.

~Writing this at 11:07 pm, September 10, 2021 HK time

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard a story corps thing this morning on the radio from a guy talking about his brother who died in a September 11th horrible tale and I burst into tears like it just happened - I have not been looking forward to this 20 year thing because that day comes back to me so vividly and omg it's overwhelming

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I want to read

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I don't want to say that I get depressed around the anniversary, but I think I can say that I become very melancholy. Like my friend @JNA, I grew up in the shadows of the towers and have many memories of them so that it is still a painful loss. I don't believe I could make it through the museum without completely breaking down. Hell, I read an article today about the manager of Windows on the World, the restaurant atop Tower 1. He survived because his son was late for school, but 79 of his staff died. And I'm bawling sitting there reading this article ... twenty years later.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I sat down to eat cereal and watch the news before going to class. A second after I sat down I watched the second plane fly into the towers. I then went to my American History Class where the professor and the class talked about it for 10 minutes and dismissed us with an assignment on what happened, has it happened before, and how will it change America.

I had a preseason meeting at the ski hill that I was working at then headed back to campus. I was on student government at the time and we were called into an emergency meeting to discuss how we can help the students deal with it. Best line was spoken by a pre-law major who simply said “I am all for helping other students deal with it, but who the hell is going to help us deal with it? None of us have ever had to cope with a situation as profound as this and I think that we are way over our heads.” It was then decided to contact all the counselors on staff who teamed up with us to have open meetings that night in the lobbies of each of the dorm halls.

In retrospect, I agree that America was forever changed on that day. But I fear that we have not learned from it the way we should have. I also believe that there are absolute truths that our society continues to avoid because we frankly don’t know better.

To add to the comments from a decade ago, I remember that I had my first cell phone that the time. But I had forgotten it at my girlfriend's dorm the evening before. When I saw her before any of the classes the next morning, she handed it to me and told me to call my dad. He had been trying to reach me. I then went to that History Class mentioned above.

At the ski hill, we were sitting on the steps of the lodge having a beer after the meeting and watched several black sedans and SUVs fly down the road doing well over 90 MPH. We wondered because the FBI office was in downtown and the ski hill was on the main road out to the airport. Turns out some guy who was on a flight from Boston to LA had to stop in the UP because they grounded all the jets. He didn't know why and flipped out and threatened to hijack the plane. He was just some real-estate lawyer who had a closing that afternoon in CA.

I remember on my way back to my apartment that evening. At the time I was living in a smaller neighboring town and as I pulled into the neighborhood, kids were running around and people were standing out side with American Flags. At first I was surprised they were not in watching the news, but I then realized that is likely what they did all day, and it was time to release and come together as a community. In some ways it was like a patriotic version of a Norman Rockwell painting and if you didn't know the reasoning behind the actions, one would think that it was a celebration.

Now 20 years later, I don't think of alternative realities of what if's... because they weren't. Instead I think about my boys and the world that we live in today. We are no safer as a whole. Sure, I am far more confident about flying now, but the thought did cross my mind this summer when I put my oldest on a plane for Chicago. 9/11/01 was not the first, nor last terrorist attack in the US. Sometimes they are foreign, sometimes they are domestic. All we can do is learn from the past ones in an effort to prevent as many future attacks as possible.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I'm not going to blame Biden, Trump, or any of their predecessors for what happened in Afghanistan in the previous weeks. I'll blame Osama Bin Ladin, Al Queda, and Taliban 1.0.

The world is always changing. I try to think about what the world would be like if 9/11 didn't happen. Lives that wouldn't have been lost. A trillion dollars (or more) that wouldn't have been wasted. Maybe less divisiveness.

Thinking of an alternate history, this is where things get weird. I think without 9/11, Bush Jr. would have been a one-term president. John Kerry wins the 2004 election, the Great Recession hits, and the electorate dumps him for John McCain in 2008. McCain serves one term (the presence of Sarah Palin undermined his administration), and it's Barack Obama in 2012. Obama beats Palin in 2016 -- her cult following is strong, but not nearly like that of Trump in our timeline -- and Joe Biden handily beats Ted Cruz in 2020.

This is considering there's no huge terrorist attack on American soil to begin with. If 9/11 didn't happen, there would have been either more time for intelligence gathering to warn of an imminent attack, or there would be a different attack; let's say a suicide truck bomber in front of the New York Stock Exchange, or a plane crash into the White House. If it's the latter, the outcome would probably be the same as with 9-11; TSA, more fortification, Patriot Act, war in Afghanistan, etc.
Interesting but what if you go back even further to 2000. I still believe to this day that 9/11 would not have happened if Al Gore had rightly been elected president. And certainly their would have been no invasion of Iraq either.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Interesting but what if you go back even further to 2000. I still believe to this day that 9/11 would not have happened if Al Gore had rightly been elected president. And certainly their would have been no invasion of Iraq either.
I am really curious about your line of thinking regarding 9/11 not happening if Al Gore had won the election. Who knows, you might be correct, but I am really curious on the rationale behind that comment.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I am really curious about your line of thinking regarding 9/11 not happening if Al Gore had won the election. Who knows, you might be correct, but I am really curious on the rationale behind that comment.
No rationale other than the miserable failure of the intelligence community and all the warning signs that were missed in the Summer of 2001. I guess we will never know. Even if 9/11 did happen (or on another date in the fall of 2001), the invasion of Iraq most certainly would have not. Who knows, the outcome in Afghanistan may have been different if all the resources hadn't been siphoned off 18 months later for the Iraqi invasion.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian

This concert was held on September 10, 2001 at Madison Square Garden.

That was the last night of the decade-long economic prosperity and political stability of 1991-2001, also known as the '90s in pop culture.

The terror attacks were the reason millennials have 90s nostalgia and Gen Zs have 90s anemoia.

The world was never the same again after that.

~Writing this at 11:07 pm, September 10, 2021 HK time

A classic case of "The Time Just Before" Everyone remembers 9/11 but does anyone recall what they did on September 10th?

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
A classic case of "The Time Just Before" Everyone remembers 9/11 but does anyone recall what they did on September 10th?
Funny how it just played randomly on our youtube few days ago, just in time for the 20th anniversary of the attacks.

Coincidence and all.

I can’t help but feel blue looking at the audience’s faces. It was a very different vibe back then, like a completely different world. Better, happier.

Last edited:

estromberg

Cyburbian
I wrote this back in 2013.

I was riding down to The Divine Cup with Steve Forss for an Americano before work at Kegels. When we arrived, Nate told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC. We were watching the news in stunned silence as the 2nd plane flew into the towers. When the 2nd plane hit, the world changed forever. It's scary how much it has changed in the last 12 years and not for the better. People have fallen over themselves to give up their civil liberties for the false feeling of safety. I'm not saying it was planned, but the security state has gotten everything it ever wanted and more, served up on a silver platter. It's hard not to follow the money and vested interest sometimes, but I hate where that path leads. Here's to a US without permanent war. It's way past due.