• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Service and fraternal club signs

Otis

Cyburbian
Does anyone know of standards for those signs you see at the entrances to town with several service club logos and times and places of meetings? I have been charged with coming up with standards/design.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
They should be held to the same standards as any other outdoor advertising. In too many towns they sit at the gateways rusting beyond recognition. But life is short, and I decided not to tackle the isssue in any of my jobs. I did get one group to replace their rust and install new signage.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Use of those signs seem to be fading away. I see them a lot in the Northeast, particularly suburban communities, but they're quite rare in most other parts of the country. Exceptions in sign regulations to allow off-premises signs in the public right-of-way for churches is another relic of the 1950s that you'll sometimes encounter.

On a somewhat related topic ...

I'm thinking about an amendment to the sign regulations in my little town to permit a few off-premises signs in the pubic right-of-way -- the signs would be placed only at a few strategic intersections, uniform in style and size, and permit up to six or eight directional signs, each 9" high x 3" long, to identify new home development and significant town landmarks. (Once a development is complete, they have to give up their "slot" for a new sign.) The signs would be paid for through a surcharge on building permits for new houses.

DJohn3

Dan, Virginia's DOT has a program of what they call "Home Directory Signs" which they are implementing in Prince William County, VA. Apparently, as I understand it, the Builder Association actually pays for the sign & coordinates with VDOT the locations of the signs & who gets on the sign. Good luck!