• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sgt. Asan Akbar - Traitor

el Guapo

Capitalist
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1084723,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81898,00.html

If you have a major change in your religious frame set the military has channels to allow you to disengage from being a combat troop. There are even channels for leaving the military altogether during an enlistment if you suddenly get a pacifist form of religion. However, no matter what your motivation when you roll grenades into the tents of your fellow soldiers you have stepped over a very visible line. Mental illness is not an acceptable excuse.

In the military of old, a trooper could be summarily executed in the field after a quick hearing. Sgt. Akbar committed treason and murder while in a combat zone. Justice demands his immediate execution in front of the troops.

Even though we no longer are allowed this privilege of making spot corrections to the life status of a traitor, mark my words this man will swing from a rope in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas before the end of the decade. It is not quite as satisfying as a firing squad though.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Guap we agree on something

if indeed this is the person that pulled such a stunt-hang him till hes dead

Habanero

Cyburbian
If he feared persecution because he is a Muslim, what the hell did he think was going to happen after he rolled grenades into his fellow officers tents? I hate that people claim they were treated differently after they do something hideous, he better not get off with insanity.

I say hang him, with an old dirty rope that could break, at least one time for every person he hurt.

Tom R

Cyburbian
UCMJ

He should be tried and if found guilty pnished to the full extent of the UCMJ.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hang him high and swing him low. What side was he fighting for, anyhow?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Have they figured out why he did it yet? I mean...the guy's name says something to me, but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion right away.

I'm surprised his fellow soldiers let him live to be captured.

Runner

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I'm surprised his fellow soldiers let him live to be captured.
A testament to the quality and discipline of our soldiers, except this one. Also to the general morality and fairness of the American way.

He will be tried (with competent military defense attorneys who will safeguard his rights but not showboat and play shyster race cards) and then executed at a later date.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
They have said he is a Muslim, but like you, I don't want to jump to conclusions. As for letting him live, Americans are generally non-violent, unlike you Canadians. We will let him live and then give him the death penalty for treason. ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I guess I was watching CNN or one fo the 24 hour stations and they had an interview with an injured soldier, before he thought the tape was running he said he didn't want to mention names or that the soldier in question was Muslim- the news station aired it anyway.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:
I guess I was watching CNN or one fo the 24 hour stations and they had an interview with an injured soldier, before he thought the tape was running he said he didn't want to mention names or that the soldier in question was Muslim- the news station aired it anyway.
Most of the US press has been behaving professionally and honorably. Too bad about this loser.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Akbar? Ackbar! It's a Trap!

Ok, I'm sorry about that joke.. I couldn't help it...
So basically this guy is in the Allied forces, and puts grenades in his fellow officers tents?!?!?! Do you not do a psychological test to the soldiers?!!?!
I find it unbelieveable that such things could happen!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Akbar? Ackbar! It's a Trap!

Ok, I'm sorry about that joke.. I couldn't help it...
So basically this guy is in the Allied forces, and puts grenades in his fellow officers tents?!?!?! Do you not do a psychological test to the soldiers?!!?!
I find it unbelieveable that such things could happen!
Soldiers do go through a psychological evaluation on enlistment. Some more than others. That does not mean that a person's views can't change or that they may object to something that occurs after their enlistment. I find it very interesting that the other people in the unit very quickly focused in on this person as a suspect. It does make me wonder if they might not have watched him a little more closely.

el Guapo

Capitalist
We had an E-7 go nuts for about 3 hours a few days before the ground war for Gulf War I in my unit. He didn't hurt anybody but a few people discussed an "early retirement" program should he show similar symptoms in the near future in combat. My type of unit had more mental and professional screening than most because of the nature of our work. So they do slip past even the best screening processes. It happens and it is more common than you would suspect. But it is very rare that it is treasonous and muderous.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Shameless STRIPES rip-off...

Some one must have kept calling him by his birth name - Francis. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
We had an E-7 go nuts for about 3 hours a few days before the ground war for Gulf War I in my unit. He didn't hurt anybody but a few people discussed an "early retirement" program should he show similar symptoms in the near future in combat. My type of unit had more mental and professional screening than most because of the nature of our work. So they do slip past even the best screening processes. It happens and it is more common than you would suspect. But it is very rare that it is treasonous and muderous.
I also had an E-7 lose it. He had been in graves registration in Viet Nam. He had some problems that kept him from shipping out with us. About a month later he was on a plane to Saudi Arabia when he started having flashbacks and losing it. They had to set the plane down and get him off. Never saw him over there.

(For those who don't know, graves registration is the unit responsible for body recovery. It is gruesome work to begin with, but in 'Nam they used to booby-trap the bodies as well. Definitely the sort of job to take a toll on anyone.)