• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Shall we commiserate together? What is not in your stores?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
If I bought any more TP, it would put me into hoarding status. That situation has to be slowly improving nationwide . . .
I wonder if folks out there saw TP flying off the shelves and decided to go buy a bunch of stock in Georgia Pacific or other paper and pulp manufacturers expecting a big rise in their earnings as well. Do they realize that once people have more TP or paper towels than they can store that demand for those products is likely to plummet in this quarter and next quarter? I imagine a year or two from now, the coronavirus-related increase in sales will barely register in the annual sales/revenue data and year-over-year changes. It's not like there are suddenly more buttholes out there that need wiping.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was able to score a 12 pack of Charmin yesterday at my local Kroger. We typically use Cottonelle but I haven't seen any of that brand in weeks and weeks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder if folks out there saw TP flying off the shelves and decided to go buy a bunch of stock in Georgia Pacific or other paper and pulp manufacturers expecting a big rise in their earnings as well. Do they realize that once people have more TP or paper towels than they can store that demand for those products is likely to plummet in this quarter and next quarter? I imagine a year or two from now, the coronavirus-related increase in sales will barely register in the annual sales/revenue data and year-over-year changes. It's not like there are suddenly more buttholes out there that need wiping.
yes, I think I posted upthread about how the tp shortage wasn't a result of manufacturing capacity problem. The demand has remained constant, what has changed occurred because demand in the consumer chain increased while the commercial/institutional demand decreased. The supply chain will adapt. That's not to say other bottlenecks can't or won't occur in this or many other supply chains. Truck drivers, for instance, are a vulnerable link in the supply chain.

Planit

Cyburbian
Went to the grocery store at lunch rather than at the end of the day...it was still getting crowded. This store has initiated a 'one way' route through the store & some people got it while others did not. Most people were wearing masks, but not so much gloves.

I was able to find everything on my list except the plant-based butter The Girl likes to use & protein-based pasta I like. Meats seemed to be back at normal levels. There was a smattering of wipes and disinfectant products & even about a dozen packs of TP, so I nabbed one of those.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Also, is there actually any advantage to sanitizer when soap and water is available?
I have to be in a room with running water to use soap and water. I can use sanitizer in the car, at my desk, at the supermarket ...

Everybody had a mask on when we went to the supermarket today. It's probably a good thing. The older crowd isn't so good at social distancing.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Anyhow, at our visit to the supermarket yesterday, there were full shelves of paper products, except name brand toilet paper.

No naan. We haven't seen naan on over a month, for some reason. Still no hand sanitizer (of course) or disinfectant products.

DVD

Cyburbian
We make our own!

2 tsp yeast
1 tsp suger
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1/4 oil
about 3 cups of flour

yeast, sugar, water do their thing
add egg, yogurt, and oil
add flour a little at a time, about 1-2 cups until you have a good ball
hand kneed adding more flour, about 1-2 cups.
cover and rise for 45 minutes

roll out small pieces and cook it in a cast iron pan.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My oldest daughter would be happy to live off of nothing but naan if we would allow her so we make our own quite a bit as well. We use a recipe very similar to the one DVD posted above.

Bubba

Cyburbian
My oldest daughter would be happy to live off of nothing but naan if we would allow her so we make our own quite a bit as well. We use a recipe very similar to the one DVD posted above.
You and @DVD need to back up out of my attempt to price gouge Dan for store-bought naan. :cursing:

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm sure the store bought naan is soooo much better.

My wife scored some paper towels!

On a side note, why are all the paper plates gone? Are you people using that to wipe now? WTF?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
If you go to an Indian grocery store Naan is just the beginning of the bread section. Personally I have some Roti I've been enjoying. I buy it frozen and just fry it up.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We have naan. How badly are you jonesing for some?
Not that badly, but still, it's weird that it's missing.

My WAG: Naan here is imported from Canada, like a lot of other prepared Indian meals. There's not much crossing the border.

For a small town, we still have two specialty Indian grocery stores. I might have to check them out.

You and @DVD need to back up out of my attempt to price gouge Dan for store-bought naan. :cursing:
It's Wegmans naan. Not bad, but the Trader Joe's naan is an order of magnitude better, at least for supermarket naan. The new TJ's here won't be opening for another six months or more, so I'll have to wait.

For what it's worth, disinfectant cleaner is now plentiful at Lowe's, but it's Zepp, not Lysol or Clorox. I don't know how that stuff would react with plastic and leather. Lysol spray and ABS plastic do not mix.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually am now at critical issues at home for toilet paper - I have tried the last 2 weeks when I do go to the store to get more and there is never any -

I don't get why there's no chicken - who hoards whole chickens

and the bread aisle - what the hell

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I noticed tortillas were running low the other week, not non-existent, but not much to choose from. Had to go with flour and not corn. Most tortillas here are locally made by a few companies.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I actually am now at critical issues at home for toilet paper - I have tried the last 2 weeks when I do go to the store to get more and there is never any -
For TP, check out Office Max or Staples (or some other office supply chain). You may have to get the flimsy single-ply commercial grade stuff on a massive roll, but it still wipes and they deliver.

Bubba

Cyburbian
For TP, check out Office Max or Staples (or some other office supply chain). You may have to get the flimsy single-ply commercial grade stuff on a massive roll, but it still wipes and they deliver.
Another pro tip - if you have Amazon Prime, check it often for in-stock TP and order it as soon as you see it (supplies tend to be snatched up in about 10 minutes after they're posted).

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
For the first time in nearly 5 weeks they had both toilet paper and paper towels in stock at the grocery store.

Zatarain's Yellow Rice is still elusive. I bought about 6 boxes before this pandemic really began, and I still have about two left. All the other types of Zatarains are usually in stock but never the yellow rice.

Zatarains Yellow Rice.jpg

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Plenty of toilet paper today. Though it was all brands I never heard of with mostly Spanish language packaging or commercial grade stuff.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
We're still okay on toilet paper. I bought a big pack at sam's two weeks prior to the big tp shortage.

I am having a difficult time finding King Arthur Flour. I guess people are baking more, I know we are going through 7.5 lbs of flour a week. My daughter is making bread to give to friends and family. I was informed that our sour dough starter should be ready to use for the first time this evening. I am excited.

DVD

Cyburbian
I happen to know one of the King Arthur grain mills is in Kipp, Kansas, but they do the whole grain flour, not the white stuff.

kms

Cyburbian
We're still okay on toilet paper. I bought a big pack at sam's two weeks prior to the big tp shortage.

I am having a difficult time finding King Arthur Flour. I guess people are baking more, I know we are going through 7.5 lbs of flour a week. My daughter is making bread to give to friends and family. I was informed that our sour dough starter should be ready to use for the first time this evening. I am excited.
There were two bags of King Arthur bread flour on the shelf yesterday. I didn't want to be a jagoff, so I only bought one.

Let me know how your sourdough bread turns out.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
There were two bags of King Arthur bread flour on the shelf yesterday. I didn't want to be a jagoff, so I only bought one.

Let me know how your sourdough bread turns out.
I didn't make any the other night but I started a batch of crusty rolls for supper tonight while I was at lunch. My daughter is going to divide them into rolls after the first rise.

She actually made the starter. It was the first one that I saw that you don't discard any starter during your initial feedings. Of course you have to use a bigger container. We will see how it does this evening.

Reactions: kms

TOFB

Cyburbian
For the first time in nearly 5 weeks they had both toilet paper and paper towels in stock at the grocery store.

Zatarain's Yellow Rice is still elusive. I bought about 6 boxes before this pandemic really began, and I still have about two left. All the other types of Zatarains are usually in stock but never the yellow rice.

View attachment 48250
Oh, that is good stuff.

I can't seem to find any bleach. Man, I just want to do some laundry!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby did the grocery run this morning.

Paper towels: check
TP: only the kind one step removed from wood pulp
Wipes, sanitizer, etc: nope
Laundry soap: check
Dish soap/tablets: check (limited brand variety)
Beef other than ground or large steaks: nope
Chicken: check, but none of the pre-seasoned type
Fish: salmon, check, shrimp, nope
Bread: half a check - there's some on the aisle, but it's the weird, crunchy kind
Dairy: lots of shredded cheese options, but hope you weren't looking for cream cheese

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sanitizer is back! At least at Wegmans. Kind of. Not Purell, Germ-X, or store brand, but there were artisanal and local brands on the shelf.

sanitizer 1.jpg

The Sb sanitizer is a bit less viscous than pre-pandemic gel sanitizers. Black Button sanitizer was $12. It's not at all viscous. It's a lot more expensive than the 90% alcohol / glycerine homemade sanitizer I cooked up.

sanitizer 2.jpg

We didn't buy any. We still have a decent supply of Purell that we bought long before anyone in the US ever heard of Wuhan, and use soap and water in the house. I have a little bottle of Purell in the car, and carry a little spray bottle of homemade sanitizer.

Naan was back today. Shelves are full of store brand and Scott TP, but name brand still goes fast when it's available.

No hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes at Target.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Scored a big pack of TP this morning at Sam's! I swear I heard We Are the Champions as I headed to the checkout!

Planit

Cyburbian
If you go to the grocery store on a Sunday night, there are not many people in there...there is also not much product either. They don't restock during the weekend.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My generally eat a lot of deli meat in our house. I love it. My wife loves it. My kids love it... so sliced cured or smoked meats pumped full of nitrates are a staple in our fridge. That said, we ran out of ham and mortadella a while back and we were down to our last few slices of hard salami. My wife and I really just wanted a ham sandwich on Saturday but we are fully stocked on everything else so we couldn't justify a full trip to the grocery store. Then I remembered an article in the newspaper about how Potbelly Sandwiches has begun selling sliced meats and cheeses by the pound so we looked it up online and saw that one of the ones near us was selling them. We made an order online and I was able to walk in and walk out (all in about 30 seconds) and grab some ham, capicola, salami, provolone, and a jar of spicy peppers. I even got a few loaves of their sandwich bread! I do sort of kick myself for not also ordering myself a Oreo Cookie milkshake, but all-in-all a good experience!

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I still can't find any bread flour and hungry jack hash browns. I still have 60% of the 45 roll pack of toilet paper that I purchased in mid-February. Based on the consumption of 1.4 rolls per week, we should be good till the end of September.

TOFB

Cyburbian
The big chain here announced it limiting meat sales starting tomorrow. That means they were probably cleared out by noon today. Thankfully we are pretty much full time vegetarians but y'all carnivores stay away from my Morningstar Farms.

DVD

Cyburbian
Fry's/Kroger announced the same thing here because of the meat shortage expected. Gotta stop those hoarders ahead of time.

Since you're mostly vegetarian, got any good recipes I should look up. I'm good with even partial vegetarian recipes. Is that a thing?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
The Kroger near me had signs up yesterday re: limits on meat. But they were small and only on the refrigerated sections - not the deep freeze.

Planit

Cyburbian
Stopped by the usual grocery store this afternoon for some baking goods for The Girl.

No signs for meat hoarders yet, but there were no steaks of any type. There was ground beef & a couple roasts. Pork was plentiful, as was chicken.

No TP (surprise).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I still can't find any bread flour and hungry jack hash browns.
You know what, make hash browns from scratch. Grating the potatoes doesn't take that much time/effort and they taste better too.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Latest report from our centrally isolated community:

tptptptp.jpg

Not Photoshopped, not a photo from before March. I took this photo late yesterday afternoon. For name brand TP, there's Charmin, Scott (yeah, I know) and Canadian-market Royale. I never saw Royale for sale on the US side of the border, but I remember their commercials!

Hand sanitizer: available at Wegmans, but no Purell or Germ-X. Just high-end artisanal gels, expensive alcohol/glycerine concoctions from distilleries, and "Lucky" brand aloe gel. As in "We got lucky when we saw somewhat cheap hand sanitizer in the store."

If you're in New York State, only use Clean New York sanitizer as a last resort. That is, unless you really like the smell of a freshly scrubbed Thruway restroom.

Bubba

Cyburbian
No ground pork. So, Mrs. Bubba grabbed some boneless ribs with a decent fat content that we're going to grind ourselves...might add a little pork belly to the mix as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
C'mon Dan. That picture was taken inside your garage. You started hoarding early, right.

:cool:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
You know what, make hash browns from scratch. Grating the potatoes doesn't take that much time/effort and they taste better too.
They don't take that long. It just easier for me to keep a box of instant hash browns as opposed to real potatoes. I don't have to worry about the box of instant hash browns rotting and stinking up the kitchen if I forget about it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I made our first trip to the grocery store in almost a month this morning. I actually stopped at two grocery stores.

First I went to the local high end specialty store. It was fully stocked in all departments and I no longer saw any signs limiting quantities. They even had Cheerwine which I've never seen anywhere up here! Now if only I could get bottles of Mr. Pibb (I do occasionally find it in fountains though) I'd be all set. I don't know if they always stock Cheerwine and I've just never noticed it before or if it's just replacing other stuff they cannot currently get. The meat and seafood section were fully stocked too so I got some fresh ground beef, pork chops, ground sausage, chicken, and salmon. I really wanted a brisket but our fridge and freezer are filled to capacity so I decided against that.

Afterwards I stopped at Kroger for some things that the specialty store just doesn't carry or are too expensive there (good sugary cereal, vegetable oil, baking soda, vinegar, etc). It was a night and day difference over what was available between the two stores. Kroger was fully stocked on fresh produce and dairy and eggs but the fresh meat counter was still completely empty and they were only doing pre-packaged quantities of meat and poultry and their canned goods and pasta were pretty well picked over.

DVD

Cyburbian
I went to Target the other day. Fairly well stocked. The one thing I couldn't find is a new inner tube for the kids bike. It's not like they didn't have the particular size, the shelf looked like no one had stocked the thing in months. It's either that or we're now hoarding bike parts.

kms

Cyburbian
I went to Target the other day. Fairly well stocked. The one thing I couldn't find is a new inner tube for the kids bike. It's not like they didn't have the particular size, the shelf looked like no one had stocked the thing in months. It's either that or we're now hoarding bike parts.
Bike trail use has really increased here. People are fixing up bikes that have been forgotten in garages and basements.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I didn't find rhubarb but its not easy to find anyways. My grandma had a 2 car garage size row of it, but the house was sold last year, not sure if my mom transplanted a few or not, or whether they even took.

kms

Cyburbian
Oh. King Arthur Flour commons emailed me that flour is available but they’re packaging it in 3 lb bags. I managed to find a couple of 5 lb bags last week. Score!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Oh. King Arthur Flour commons emailed me that flour is available but they’re packaging it in 3 lb bags. I managed to find a couple of 5 lb bags last week. Score!
Yeah, shopping can feel like Christmas now....wait, are there actually TWO rolls of paper towel left on the shelf? YES!!! MINE!!!

Reactions: kms

TOFB

Cyburbian
I went to to pool store yesterday for some pool shock (bleach); thinking they might be out or low and/or the price spiked. Nope; mountains of if it for the same price as last year ($12.99 for 4 gallons).