• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Shall we commiserate together? What is not in your stores?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Meat. What little is available is increasingly expensive.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Saw an interview on the Daily Show with the OK Farmers Union President, he had some interesting insight into the meat in the store issue. It's not just the packing plants closing due to virus spread that is the problem.

Hubby did the grocery run this week. Lots of chicken, but limited to 2 packages. Some beef, also limited to 2 packages. Pork's limited as well, but we already had a roast for the crockpot. Frozen fish available, no limits on the number of packages, but the variety was missing: lots of the same thing. He didn't go down the paper aisle, as we are good there, but he said the pasta aisle looked like it hadn't been stocked for days.

I'll take a closer look at the shelves when I go next week. It's a holiday, so maybe some products - hot dogs, for example - will be available in bulk.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm struggling to find flour that I'm not allergic to. Apparently the world has decided to go on a baking kick and they're even buying up the specialty, super-expensive flour -- one of which is the only safe option for me. Grr!

It makes me angry that people are hoarding. We don't have more people in this country; there's no reason for us to be eating more than we did before. But somehow, we're out of some things at the grocery store.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Yeast - but a friend in the Berkshires found some at the corner store and is mailing it to me (which I will use with boring, economy-priced flour). He's very excited with the idea of me baking bread.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We haven't been to the grocery store in nearly a month and this thread doesn't seem to get as much action in the past few weeks. Anybody still seeing shortages of particular products in their stores?

Planit

Cyburbian
Hand sanitizer is still hard to find.
We've been able to find the artisan stuff from distilleries around here. The one we have now starts out smelling like tequila, then morphs into a lemon Pledge furniture polish smell.

Reactions: kms