• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Shared-use path dangerous area

j.graham

Hey folks

There is a section of shared-use path that is fairly dangerous that I'm trying to help solve. There is an underpass that is quite wide (~9m/30 feet), but the inside of the tunnel has public art that pedestrians often stop to look at. The entrance to this tunnel on one side is a blind 90° corner. I don't have pictures right now but can get some tomorrow.

The main goal is to slow down cyclists so they can easily avoid pedestrians once in the tunnel.

Here are some of the ideas:
  • Stop sign for cyclists instead of just slow warnings
  • Paint on the asphalt to warn them
  • Texture treatments (must be fully accessible still)
  • Flexi-bollards to separate the lanes, so cyclists can't take the corner wide and maintain speed
  • Convex mirrors for visibility

If people have any experience or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Dan

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I could see where the bollards would make it worse.... now there are two even narrower pathways instead of just one.

Our city uses rumble strips and signage in high traffic locations. They bolt down and I believe they are ADA compliant.

It's just me but it sounds like that isn't the best place for an art installation. I'm assuming that it's a painted mural and can't be moved? Someone apparently didn't think their clever plan all the way through.

Last edited:

j.graham

The installation is hung, but I don't think it will be removed. And in any case, there is still a blind corner with pedestrians that could be walking inside.

One entrance:
20190528_105027.jpg

Other side:
20190528_105156.jpg

The construction is temporary. The cycle/pedestrian area is normally the full width of the tunnel.

I'm wondering if it might be effective to have flexi-bollards on the outside limits of the cycle track, and have it guide cyclists to the middle. That way it could still have recommended widths, and pedestrians could feel safe on either side.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Here's what I would do there: Looking at the top picture, I'd put closely spaced bollards or even a railing from that temporary fence/construction barrel/detour sign, outward from the tunnel, and swing the path as far to the left as possible, to make people entering the tunnel slow down, and also to give them a clear line of site into the tunnel before they enter it. I'll try to sketch up my idea in case you can't follow it. But I think for the cost of a guard rail and some paint you could slow down wheeled traffic a bit and make the whole tunnel much safer.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm not a planner, but I am a cyclist.

By the way, the racers will not be happy with that solution, but I think it would be effective.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I generally object to flexi-bollards for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the fact that they aren't secure and become a weapon when bumped the wrong way (ask me how I know!). I also agree that installing them would reduce the size of the lanes and make things worse.

As for your other ideas, I like them. Painting on the ground, stop signs, and especially mirrors would go a long way for the safety of the corridor.

Also, I appreciate the photos of the entrances but now I really want to see what the artwork looks like inside!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The installation is hung, but I don't think it will be removed. And in any case, there is still a blind corner with pedestrians that could be walking inside.

One entrance:
View attachment 24625

Other side:
View attachment 24626

The construction is temporary. The cycle/pedestrian area is normally the full width of the tunnel.

I'm wondering if it might be effective to have flexi-bollards on the outside limits of the cycle track, and have it guide cyclists to the middle. That way it could still have recommended widths, and pedestrians could feel safe on either side.
Cleraly you need a banked turn that art viewers can stand on the other side of!

j.graham

Hey folks,

The work was completed at another nearby tunnel that was very similar. The original tunnel will have the work done shortly. Pretty happy with how everything turned out!

IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0620.JPGIMG_0622.JPGIMG_0623.JPGIMG_0625.JPG

We added convex mirrors at the entrances, and pretty obvious paint to show where bikes should go vs. pedestrians. Thanks for your input everyone.

Reactions: Dan

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Hey folks,

The work was completed at another nearby tunnel that was very similar. The original tunnel will have the work done shortly. Pretty happy with how everything turned out!

View attachment 25095View attachment 25096View attachment 25097View attachment 25098View attachment 25099View attachment 25100

We added convex mirrors at the entrances, and pretty obvious paint to show where bikes should go vs. pedestrians. Thanks for your input everyone.
Looks great, congrats!