• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Shaving, fka Women, what's with the "healing?"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Women, what's with the "healing?"

A few days ago, I picked up a local "womyn's newspaper" from a pile containing tens of local Kansas City-area alternative weekly newspapers.

Looking through it, I noticed that 90% of the articles and ads regarded some vauge concept of "healing" and/or "wellness." No, these aren't ads and articles about doctors or dentists ... it's drum circles and praying to Brigid and creating safe space and aromatherapy. Why is is that women -- sorry, I mean womyn -- are in such need of "healing," and what is it that they're healing from?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
*looks down* yup im a girl...and i have no idea what your talking about, too granola for me

donk

Cyburbian
inhaling too much pachouli oil (sp?) and not enough protein from their vegan diets.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Perhaps it has more to do with the whole "Career v. Motherhood" choices that women face. Certainly that heightens the stress in their lives. And what about those single mothers who are raising a family and have a full-time job? I'm sure that's no picnic.

But then again, you did pick up that mag from a pile of leftist, googly-moogly, granola-type literature. I'm sure Good Housekeeping, Comso, People, and Playgirl have more reasonable solutions to life's stresses.

Or maybe I'm just a misogynist pig.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I am sure it has something to do with men, as Mike said, since men are the bain of our existence
(men suck today, but I won't get into that now), but I absolutely no idea what the heck they are talking about either.

((Way too granola for me too, PG!))

Off Topic, for Christine:
A study at the University of Wisconsin showed that
the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ
depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle. For instance,
if she is ovulating she is attracted to men with rugged and
masculine features. And if she is menstruating, she is more
prone to be attracted to a man with scissors shoved in his
temple and a bat jammed up his ass while he is on fire.

On Topic:
Dan, I haven't a clue either, other than the fact that it was a granola type publication to begin with.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Too funny! I think our reputation as women precede us. You know what I HATE - I get in a crappy mood, and Chad says "Oop, it must be that time of month again", like I have no other reason to be in a bad mood.

SW MI Planner said:
You know what I HATE - I get in a crappy mood, and Chad says "Oop, it must be that time of month again", like I have no other reason to be in a bad mood.
Rob only once ever erroneously pulled the "time of the month" card, to which I responded: "No, its not that time of the month, but you really are looking at a week of no sex if you keep it up, jackass."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sh*t, I think its the men that need to heal after *that* exchange! ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And Dan -- just exactly *why* were you looking through a lesbo publication?

Jeff

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Nothing good can come from a magazine where the featured chicks don't shave their armpits....gross!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hormones. It's always hormones. Trust me*.

* The source for information on women -- a single guy in his thirties.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Hormones. It's always hormones. Trust me*.

* The source for information on women -- a single guy in his thirties.
Oh, I thought you were the source for whore moans. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bturk said:
Morbid curiosity.

If you're new-agey, though, why do you need "healing" more so than someone who isn't new-agey, and what injured you to the point where you require such generous helpings of "healing?" The newspaper's articles were extremely vague, but it struck me as if it was implied that everyone was a victim of ... MEN!. Just their presence alone disrupted Gaia's balancing gyno-force, and a realignment would be required.

KMateja said:
Off Topic, for Christine:
A study at the University of Wisconsin showed that
the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ
depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle. For instance,
if she is ovulating she is attracted to men with rugged and
masculine features. And if she is menstruating, she is more
prone to be attracted to a man with scissors shoved in his
temple and a bat jammed up his ass while he is on fire.

/B]

Oh.....that is soooooo incredibly true!!!!

I think these new agey-types believe that we are inherently at turmoil, thus causing the need for such massive amounts of healing. Personally, I'll take some Advil and a punching bag any day over sitting around in a circle and humming like a bunch of birds.

Dan said:

Morbid curiosity.

If you're new-agey, though, why do you need "healing" more so than someone who isn't new-agey, and what injured you to the point where you require such generous helpings of "healing?" The newspaper's articles were extremely vague, but it struck me as if it was implied that everyone was a victim of ... MEN!. Just their presence alone disrupted Gaia's balancing gyno-force, and a realignment would be required.
I think it is not so much that these nuts believe that they need healing because of men, but they think (and not totally unjustly so) that we live in an unhealthy society that puts undue stress on the natural balance between people and their environment.

Mike DeVuono said:
You speak from experience don't you?? Arms up!
Oh christ, that made me laugh. i actually don't have any underarm hair, but that's only because i don't really grow any. My legs, however, start to look a little burly around march, when it is just been too damn cold for too damn long to wear skirts. fortunately, rob went to SUNY ESF, so he doesn't mind. hee.

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only woman who slacks up on the leg shaving during the winter months.

I'm SOOOOO happy that yoga pants are fashionable for the gym now! now my legs don't see the light of day between Nov. and April.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Your not alone sisters
i only shave now on date nights or for shoots

otherwise im not gonna ruin my skin more than it is till things warm up

PlannerGirl said:
Your not alone sisters
i only shave now on date nights or for shoots

otherwise im not gonna ruin my skin more than it is till things warm up
sing it, sista. i'm dry enough as it is.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I used to live in a hippie dippie town... I think before yoga became popular these healing sessions were even more prevalent. They often involved yoga, deep breathing, a lot of the same stuff that many of you probably currently are doing or have done in the past. Or at least the gym I used to go to had that kind of program that was marketed as a women's relaxation session. I enjoyed it! It was nice to be in the company of other women who were more interested in relaxing and being happy, instead of getting together with a room full of women to harp on men and complain all the time, or worse yet... gossip.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A bunch of hairy women sitting around, drinking chai, burning incense and ranting about the problems with men. Sounds fun.

I think I'll head out to the cabin with the guys, drink a few beers, do some fishing and talk about women.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Actually... at this stage in my life, hanging with Michael sounds more fun. Well, except the beer part.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Actually... at this stage in my life, hanging with Michael sounds more fun. Well, except the beer part.
The Cyburbia Fishing Trip - a proposal for a mobile workshop at the next APA conference.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
A bunch of hairy women sitting around, drinking chai, burning incense and ranting about the problems with men. Sounds fun.

I think I'll head out to the cabin with the guys, drink a few beers, do some fishing and talk about women.
What about a bunch of hairy men sitting around, drinking beer, smelling their own flatulence, and talking about the girl from last night?

Actually, I'd be with Mike too, except for definately with the beers :-b

Jeff

Cyburbian
You're all a bunch of women! I shave my legs every day with no ill side effects....nothing a little cocoa butter can't fix you know ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
You're all a bunch of women! I shave my legs every day with no ill side effects....nothing a little cocoa butter can't fix you know ;)
And I bet you look really cute in a skirt, too.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Mike dear is there anything you want to tell us? its ok we are all family here. open up, express your inner whatever

hehe

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The image of a marine / firefighter shaving his legs is disturbing.

Totally blows the whole 'hero' thing.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
At least he smells good (probably)

Mike DeVuono said:
sorry. i just hate investing the time when nobody that cares is going to see them.

Habanero

Cyburbian
bturk said:
The image of a marine / firefighter shaving his legs is disturbing.

Totally blows the whole 'hero' thing.
I don't know, kind of makes me think he's ga ga over Enrique Iglesias (sp?)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hey i dont shave much becouse i get tired of itchy skin-i feel like some sorta snake. they get shaved once a week on the norm-its the only time i wish i was blonde

nerudite

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

sorry. i just hate investing the time when nobody that cares is going to see them.
It's not the seeing... it's the feeling. I don't like it when my legs feel hairy... and I don't even get sandpaper stubble like some chicks.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Oh I knew that was going to get this place going ;)

No seriously, I do shave my legs, I have to because I race bikes remember. If you've ever tried picking gravel out of hairy legs or seen the infectious mess that results after a crash you'd know why...

nerudite

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
ah, see, you're not letting them grow out long enough. eventually it gets soft.
Actually, I have really fine hair in general. So it's not prickly or anything... I just like to have smooth skin I guess.

I used to date a moslem that shaved just about everything below the neckline. Religious thing... but it was an interesting tactile experience.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mike DeVuono said:
Oh I knew that was going to get this place going ;)

No seriously, I do shave my legs, I have to because I race bikes remember. If you've ever tried picking gravel out of hairy legs or seen the infectious mess that results after a crash you'd know why...
I figured that was why...but Mike, uh - bike races are a summer thing. Did you find you likely the silky soft feel? ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

I figured that was why...but Mike, uh - bike races are a summer thing.
Races = summer....

Riding = Year round

Crashes = Any time....

Believe it or not...you'll actually get made fun of if you have hairy legs on a bike....don't ask.