• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Shaving the Cats?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I've about had it with all this dang cat hair around my house!!!

As spring approaches my cats are shedding like crazy. I have hair on and in everything. I have hair in my mouth, on my counter, my clothes, dust bunnies that won't go away like the Energizer Rabbit. I"M GOING CRAZY!

I want to know....

Should I get the clippers out and "shave the cats"?

Will this eliminate my problem or will the hair grow back thicker and faster because it is still a little chilly at night? Will my cats attack me at night while I sleep in revenge?

Help!!

Have you ever shaved a Cat? Any suggestions?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
If this was any other forum other than Cyburbia, I would go on a double-entendre tounge-in-cheek response. ;)

I always thought that the reason that you got a cat or a dog was to have something furry running around your house. Nobody wants to pet a hairless cat or dog. It is just not a plesant thing to do. Plus it is creepy.

BKM

Cyburbian
Plus, at least in the case of dogs, long hair is part of their "cooling system"

I feel for you. I have a collie mix whose long, floating red hair is EVERWHERE. But, even the purportedly shedless basenji sheds these really short, really fine, impossible to brush off hairs. And, she is a lap dog :(

Habanero

Cyburbian
I think some pet salons will shave a kitty, but I'd say you'd need to talk to you rvet about it beforehand. The vet might be able to give you some kitty calming pills.

But remember, no killing the kitten, you can only shave the kitty.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Repo Man said:
Nobody wants to pet a hairless cat or dog. It is just not a plesant thing to do. Plus it is creepy.
I mentioned to my vet once that my wife had lots of allergies to cat and dog fur. He said "Get an iguana, they don't have fur and they act a lot like cats".......somehow, I just don't think he gets it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
:m: :m: :m: :m: + hardwood floors equals tumbling tumbleweeds of shedded cat hair every spring. Shaving the little critters never occurred to me -- and I hope you think better of the idea. Cats are furry for a reason. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Gedunker said:
:m: :m: :m: :m: + hardwood floors equals tumbling tumbleweeds of shedded cat hair every spring. Shaving the little critters never occurred to me -- and I hope you think better of the idea. Cats are furry for a reason. ;-)

I'd personally prefer the tumbleweeds to trying to have to vacuum out the hair matted in the carpet.

I say: don't shave the cats.

If I remember correctly from pics your posted, aren't you "shedding" yourself.

If you shave the cats then you shave yourself for.....you know.....equailty. ;-)

boiker

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Plus, at least in the case of dogs, long hair is part of their "cooling system"

I feel for you. I have a collie mix whose long, floating red hair is EVERWHERE. But, even the purportedly shedless basenji sheds these really short, really fine, impossible to brush off hairs. And, she is a lap dog :(
Basenji.. i thought about one of those because they are supposed to be allergy safe.

JNL

Cyburbian
My parents had this lovely long-haired ginger cat who was very regal and dignified.
Always carried herself well. Anyway when she got a bit older (we're talking 17) she was unable to look after her fur properly and the vet had to shave off some lumps. It was summer too so they got rid of most of it. She (the cat) was not pleased at all. She looked like a feline poodle! Or a skinny lion! Fluffy paws and a mane, then skinny boney fur-less body. She kind of sulked for a while but eventually it grew back.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Shave the cats. It works, just make sure you don't have the clippers at the shortest setting or you'll end up with a funny looking cat. :5

BKM

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Basenji.. i thought about one of those because they are supposed to be allergy safe.
Well, they are very, very clean-no doggie odor. And, the amount of hair they shed is invisible, except for when they are sitting on a tactile cloth coat (then you can see it) Basenjis are commonly a choice for allergy sufferers.

Unless, of course, you have an "allergy" to having a sweater you carelessly left on the floor shredded. :) (You would think I would learn my lesson, but...)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Neighbors here in FL when I was a kid had a St Bernard they shaved every summer. But big dogs are so goofy, they can handle that. Cats are too dignified. Mine would never forgive me. Thus, the perpetual problem of my mom refusing to sit on any furniture in the house except the wooden dining room chairs.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I love the image STTG posted -- that cat's not happy |-)

[OT]When my older brother was a kid he came into the house crying and mom asked him why he was crying. He said the cat scratched him. Mom asked him why that happened. My brother said it was because he put the cat in the pool. Mom told him cats don't like water. My brother answered "he liked it the first time!" :-D[/OT]

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Repo Man - LMAO :-}
STTG - the picture of what was done to that cat is not right at all.

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Should I get the clippers out and "shave the cats"?
Sure, you can...if you have a death wish.

My reccomendation? If you were to actually do it, get a huge rubber suit and a helmet. Seriously.

You know, I'm surprised there haven't been any jokes about shaven p-
Why don't I stop while I'm ahead, eh?

tsc

Cyburbian
I just brush the dogs and cats...it helps a lot. They have those gloves that are brushes that might work well if your cat is afraid of a real brush. Maybe you could take your cat to be groomed...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
On a serious note, you really do have to be careful about shaving certain animals. Their coat is important for both heating and cooling. A shaved dog or cat that spends a lot of time outside could become overheated or seriously sunburned in the summer.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Sorry bud, if you can't deal with the hair then perhaps cats aren't the best pet for you. I wouldn't consider shaving them - they have fur coats for a reason. Regular brushing will help control the shedding (hopefully).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
the ex bf had a siamese (sp?) long hair cat, damn thing had more hair than I do-VERY prissy too but his vet had him send the cat to a groomer for a "lion cut" 2x a year. The cat was LIVID, a white lion with a skinny body. But she and he were much happier after a couple weeks. Talk with your vet some breeds of dogs/cats should get done and some should not. I use a tool call a "shedd'n blade" on my dogs. It was made for horses but it pulls the dead hair out from under their coat and from how my dogs act it feels GREAT. If your cat likes to be brushed its worth a try.

FYI beagle hair has these tiny barbs on the end so when it sticks to something its there for good and the little buggers are tri colored so everything shows-sigh my dogs are blowing their coat like their is no tomorrow. I have dust HIPPOS!

tsc

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
FYI beagle hair has these tiny barbs on the end so when it sticks to something its there for good and the little buggers are tri colored so everything shows-sigh my dogs are blowing their coat like their is no tomorrow. I have dust HIPPOS!
mystery solved... my dog is 1/2 beagle and every once in a while one of his dog hairs would pierce the skin on the sole of my feet. It felt like having glass stuck in your feet. My friends would laugh... until one of them had me check out their foot because they "stepped on a piece of glass" only to find a simple dog hair in her foot!! It made her a believer..

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I don't think the cat would be too happy.

TOO FUNNY STTG

That cat looks pissed and like crap. That is what I'm afraid of if I did that to my cat. I guess I'll just deal with if for a few more weeks.

BKM

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
I use a tool call a "shedd'n blade" on my dogs. It was made for horses but it pulls the dead hair out from under their coat and from how my dogs act it feels GREAT.
Is this the same thing as a "curry comb" A handle witha round strap with teeth?

http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Reversable_curry_comb.html

My rottie-shepherd guy loves it, the collie mix tolerates it, and the basenji wants nothing to do with it :/

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
BKM said:
Is this the same thing as a "curry comb" A handle witha round strap with teeth?

http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Reversable_curry_comb.html

My rottie-shepherd guy loves it, the collie mix tolerates it, and the basenji wants nothing to do with it :/

yes mine is like that but only the one outter blade is there. Oh my god my Rottie LOVED it like nothing you have ever seen! All my dogs like it but she LOVED it.