• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Shifting travel patterns

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Does anybody out there have any experience with, or know any good articles concerning shifts in travel patterns that occur with reductions in roadway capacity -e.g. how many people may switch to transit, change their trip time, or not travel altogether?

I've read some stuff from England on the effects of long-term construction on travel patterns in specific corridors, and I believe that there may have been similar studies done in California and Montreal (?)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Good Luck. I remember trying to find evidence of this years ago at my old job. I never did find any evidence that people do alter their work schedules because of traffic, just alot of documents that encouraged people to do so.

green22

INACTIVE
Click on to transportation alternatives (google search). It's an advocacy group in nyc for cyclists, pedestrians etc. We've been working on ending motor access in Prospect and Central parks and have done a bunch of studies. When 5th avenue was closed through Washington Square park, they found that overall traffic went away. Contact one of the people on the site as they have access to the different studies. Michael Cairl is also involved in transport planning and works with the group.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Humm ya might check in the papers around DC i know many including myself and Scott who go in late/early and stay late/early to deal with traffic. heck the "rush hour" now starts here bout 5:30 AM and lasts till 9PM. And if you live near and have to travel on 66 you have to keep in mind that its HOV only at set times in one direction or the other. reverse commuting in the morning is the only way to go if your alone.

Ill see what I can find for you here,
-d

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I know there was one done around here in association with a freeway removal project. I'll see what I can find, but its probably not in electronic form. If I find it I'll contact you for your mailing address.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Thanks for all the pointers so far. bturk - that article/paper sounds very interesting.

Thanks,

Tran

green22

INACTIVE
Ok, I got this from transportation alternatives.There was a study of 50 locations in Europe, Asia, and the US that showed that when you widen highways, traffic increases, and when highways are taken away traffic decreases. It's called the Traffic Impact of Highway capacity Reductions: Assessment of Evidence by S.Carns C.Hass-Klau and PB Goodwin. It's at www.ucl.ac.uk/transport.studies/tsu/tpab9828.htm