• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Should Chet take the AICP?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
That shouldn't be hard. Remeber that Chet told us he was taking a sabbatical from Cyburbia. Oh yeah, that really happened. ;)
Well, it DID for the two weeks that I actually cared for my job and had some allegiance to the boss. Now screw 'em.

EG - I hate story problems. No wonder I refuse to take the AICP exam. ;)

MOD note - I el Guapo have split this thread from another dealing with the posting habits of Rumpy Tuna

el Guapo

Capitalist
Chet said:
Well, it DID for the two weeks that I actually cared for my job and had some allegiance to the boss. Now screw 'em.

EG - I hate story problems. No wonder I refuse to take the AICP exam. ;)
Come over to the dark side Chet join us! Toss AICP terms around in casual conversation, meet exciting planners scheming to get the F added to their AICP...be one with the Raeilians of planning...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
meet exciting planners scheming to get the F added to their AICP...be one with the Raeilians of planning...
I always throw the "F-word" in front of AICP.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
el Guapo said:
Come over to the dark side Chet join us! Toss AICP terms around in casual conversation, meet exciting planners scheming to get the F added to their AICP...be one with the Raeilians of planning...
With the new job, I'm affraid it will be a must-have (although they have not stated that)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Rem said:
No one stands a chance against a schizophrenic time traveller.

BTW Rumpy, does Donk get that job he is waiting to hear about? Does Chet like his new job? Does Cardinal find true love - with another person I mean. Does eG win the Rainbow TM jersey at next year's Tour de France? Does BEK and Habanero receive the matching cutlery they picked in their wedding gift registery? Does JNL's team the All Blacks prevail over those biting, gouging, stomping Springboks?

So many questions for the concerned time traveller.
8-ball says answer unclear, try back later.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Chet said:
With the new job, I'm affraid it will be a must-have (although they have not stated that)
Dude, Do I have a deal for you on study materials. Got some BBQ sauce? ;)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I will be taking the exam for the first time in 2004. Even though I've heard some nightmares from others who have taken it, I hope I do well.

Go for it, Chet!

Jeff

Cyburbian
I think I'm taking it too, come on jump on the bandwagon!

Just think we can plot the takeover of AICP once we get enough of us in the clube.

Budgie

Cyburbian
No Brainer

The test was frickin' easy, what is everyones consternation and debate about. It's simple, take it, pass it, pay dues, put it on your resume. It will pay for itself as soon as you look for a new job.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
8-ball says answer unclear, try back later.
Speaking of 8-ball, lighten up the permitting process by having an 8-ball reply blank on your permit form and have everyone who's applying shake the 8-ball. I did this at a previous job and it really helps get people in a better mode.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Take the thing. I know that every municipality around here asks for it. My private sector company wants me to take it so I am. I haven't paid APA dues since I got out of school. All my private sector companies have picked up the tab.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
el Guapo said:
Dude, Do I have a deal for you on study materials. Got some BBQ sauce? ;)
Even better - a regional haute cuisine item:

Miller Park Secret Stadium SauceTM

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I'm thinking of taking it too, as soon as I'm eligible. You can never have too many initials after your name!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'll try. I need all the resume help I can get, which also why I'm aiming to be in the clube real soon.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I passed the damn thing on the first try with no studying right after I was eligible to take it. AICP's been after my name for nearly 7 years and it's been an asset.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I WILL take it when I can. BUT first I am looking at getting my masters so I can rule the world... or at last my cubicle!

biscuit

Cyburbian
A co-worker and I were discussing this the other day and came to the conclusion that AICP is perhaps really only beneficial to those in or looking to move to the dark side. Why? Because a few extra initials always look more impressive on RFQ replys. Regardless of that, I don't know how long I'll stay in government work and will eventually take the exam. Although I'll have to wait until 2005 - No gotta masters degreee yet. :-$

Does anyone know the cut off date for the 2004 exam?

tsc

Cyburbian
around here you need it if you want to move up and make a bit more $$$. I find it really depends on the area you are. In Broome County, NY it didn't seem to matter.... but it is more of a reflection of the area versus AICP

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It doesn't seem to be such a big thing here on the left side of the continent but I sense it's important elsewhere...I've been AICP since '97 and it hasn't changed the direction of my career that much (oh, and I didn't think the test was that difficult). IMO, if you're staying in the midwest, south or east coast, take it you lazy bastard (sorry lazy bastards). ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I say you take it. It looks nice on a resume and looks nice in consulting promotional materials. Speaking of, when are you gonna announce where you are going?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Speaking of, when are you gonna announce where you are going?
He's going down I-94 a little ways, being the cheese head that he is.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just think of what you can become once you pass the AICP
or
just think of all the unlikely people you know that have passed it!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
I say you take it. It looks nice on a resume and looks nice in consulting promotional materials. Speaking of, when are you gonna announce where you are going?
I have locally. Made the announcement at end of business Wednesday. I'd rather not have it on the boards, for the same reason as Mike D.

Anyone can PM me if they want to know details.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Looks like a bunch of us will be taking that test next year. When are we going to start up the annual AICP thread? Can I just say that I am doing it for the children? - NOT! Screw the children (not to be taken literally - keep it to the ones over 18, except if you are from West Virginia.) I'm doing it for the chance to show my commitment to the planning profession by attaining the highest level of... oh, crap. That's not it either. I want to make more money.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm planning on taking the exam too as soon as I qualify. I think I have to wait a few years after I graduate. I figure it'll come in handy sometime later in life--and I like the sound of initials after my name :p Really, part of why I want to take the exam is I'm not sure if I'll stay in the public sector my whole career, so I want to take it while everything is fresh in my mind. I figure having both AICP and eventually a MPA should set me up well to run a larger planning department or go into the private sector.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
We should all form an AICP support group and drink bee....errr, study together.

Hurry....while Dan's not paying attention create another sub forum.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'd be glad to offer my observations to the new class of victims. Somebody open a AICP study thread and I'll check it religiously and offer what help I can. I could be the Cyburbia Chapter Education Officer. Whop-didd-do.

Wulf9

Should anyone take the AICP? Yes, if you're young. Not needed if you are old. But the definition of old is subjective.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wulf9 said:
Should anyone take the AICP? Yes, if you're young. Not needed if you are old. But the definition of old is subjective.
CRAP. Im in that subjective range. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
But what about young (kinda), not really in the planning field anymore, but figure why not?