• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Should Mendelman go to Kunstler Lecture

Should Mendelman go to J.H. Kunstler lecture

• Yes: to hear the great prophet in person

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No: you already know his rant

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Yes: only because you could take the train to Ann Arbor

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No: North Campus sucks, remember

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: you could use it to network with important professors

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Nes/Yo: I have no idea what you're talking about

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Our favorite urban planning/urban design critic, James Howard Kunstler, will be giving a lecture at my MUP alma mater in Ann Arbor, MI.

I could go and hear the wonder of JHK in person or decide not to and go for a walk.

What's your vote?

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Our favorite urban planning/urban designer critic, James Howard Kunstler will be giving a lecture at my and Wanigas?'s MUP alma mater in ann Arbor, MI.

I could go and hear the wonder of JHK in person or decide not to and go for a walk.

What's your vote?

When is the lecture? I only live about 70 miles from Ann Arbor.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Go to the talk, and prepare heckling questions in advance about his view of the midwest as "depressing."

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I saw him years ago and I vote "go." You can't his rants that seriously, but he was entertaining kind of like seeing a standup comic. Its also funny to watch him dart off the stage after a couple of questions.

SGB

Cyburbian
I've seen him speak as well, and second Seabishop's observations.

Go forth and heckle! :p

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:
When is the lecture? I only live about 70 miles from Ann Arbor.
5:30 pm on Friday, 3/5 in the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning auditorium in the Art and Architecture building on North Campus.

It is free

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
let me add another dimension to this:

I live in Chicago and Ann Arbor is a 4 hour drive or train ride from here.

Do you think it would be worth it to drive eight hours to hear, probably, a 1 hour lecture?

I'm not sure.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
mendelman said:
let me add another dimension to this:

I live in Chicago and Ann Arbor is a 4 hour drive or train ride from here.

Do you think it would be worth it to drive eight hours to hear, probably, a 1 hour lecture?

I'm not sure.
Uh, I would say no. Not unless it's part of a weekend away in Ann Arbour or something. 8 hours of driving for a one hour lecture = really sore butt.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
mendelman said:
What's your vote? decide not to and go for a walk.
I liked your second option.

Tranplanner said:
Uh, I would say no. Not unless it's part of a weekend away in Ann Arbour or something. 8 hours of driving for a one hour lecture = really sore butt.
great perspective / insight.

BKM

Cyburbian
I find Kunstler pretty amusing overall, but if you've read his books (or website rants), live, he almost quotes himself verbatim. Not sure I would waste the time, unless you do come with heckling questions. :)

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
mendelman said:
Our favorite urban planning/urban design critic, James Howard Kunstler, will be giving a lecture at my MUP alma mater in Ann Arbor, MI.

Did you go?

I saw him at Clemson, and enjoyed it thoroughly - I even was the one to ask him a question about how he can consider the "affordable housing" element in NU developments affordable to workin' folks. It escalated into a shouting match between Kunstler and one of the profs. Highly enjoyable. But he does quote himself verbatim and I would say it is definitely not worth an 8 hour trip.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
Did you go?
No. I didn't go. I decided it wasn't worth it to go see him when I already know pretty much what he is going to say.

If I lived closer, I probably would have gone.

Did you go, Wanigas??

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Nope. I think you know how I feel about NU, based on my silly rants from our old studio days. :-D

(But I was in Ann Arbor Friday night - took the GF out to dinner and caught some jazz at the Firefly Club. Ain't nuttin' like that here in Saginaw!)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
On the topic of planning celebrities, I should be seeing Duany conclude a charrette for Downtown Providence Thursday night. I'm thinking of running to the podium and messing up his hair. :-}

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
Nope. I think you know how I feel about NU, based on my silly rants from our old studio days. :-D

(But I was in Ann Arbor Friday night - took the GF out to dinner and caught some jazz at the Firefly Club. Ain't nuttin' like that here in Saginaw!)
Off-topic (sort-of):
Ah, Ann Arbor! one of the half dozen places I would live in Michigan.

You mean you didn't go back to TCAUP to hang out with former profs. ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Seabishop said:
On the topic of planning celebrities, I should be seeing Duany conclude a charrette for Downtown Providence Thursday night. I'm thinking of running to the podium and messing up his hair. :-}
Better not do that in one of his NU developments. I'm sure that's not allowed by the CCRs. ;-)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
yada yada yada...special olympics of architecture...yada yada yada...CVS is evil...yada yada yada...McMansion...yada yada yada...engineers are retards.

in case you ever think you missed a JHK presentation...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have a friend who lives in Ann Arbor and I have been meeting to make it over there since I have never been in downtown. What places would you recommend checking out…

Oh… what is wrong with NU?

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter